DVD Playback
Hello People,

I`m planning to buy a ATV2 and install XBMC on it. The only question i have is:
  • Can i play DVD video`s (ISO or VIDEO_TS) on a ATV2 with XBMC with a working DVD menu (DVD playback) from a NFS or Samba share?

Hope someone can answer this question for me, if it works i definitely go buy one!

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you certainly can play back .iso's or Video_TS files from within XBMC.

However, the ATV2 doesn't do great at playing back uncompressed MPEG2. When I tried it, it was coping fine in regards to framerate, but at least with my setup it was stopping to buffer every minute or so.

I'm not sure if this was due to lack of processing power to read from a SAMBA share while also playing the movie (which there's a small chance be able to be fixed by reading from an FTP share instead), or if the ATV2 just doesn't have the power to buffer and play back at the same time full stop.

If you like I can try from an FTP share this evening (UK time) and report back?
DeMoB Wrote:Yes, you certainly can play back .iso's or Video_TS files from within XBMC.

However, the ATV2 doesn't do great at playing back uncompressed MPEG2. When I tried it, it was coping fine in regards to framerate, but at least with my setup it was stopping to buffer every minute or so.

I'm not sure if this was due to lack of processing power to read from a SAMBA share while also playing the movie (which there's a small chance be able to be fixed by reading from an FTP share instead), or if the ATV2 just doesn't have the power to buffer and play back at the same time full stop.

If you like I can try from an FTP share this evening (UK time) and report back?

Thanks for you reply DeMoB.

It would be great if you can test it from a FTP share, i`m looking forward to your report Big Grin

I really appreciate your help! Thank you!
ALso note, on iOS it is not possible to playback encrypted dvd's. So your images must have already been decrypted. This also means that the ATV is not able to playback retail dvd's that are accessible through a shared dvd-drive

Remco
At the top of this forum is a post that says: *READ THIS 1st BEFORE POSTING* How to Install, Jailbreak and other FAQs

Just sayin'
Hi Ned,

There isn't actually a mention of ISO / Video_TS playback in the iOS FAQ, and there certainly isn't mention about lack of css encryption support, so it might not be a case of Martijn085 just not bothering to look at what's already there. Tongue

Plus, if iso buffering has just been cleared up properly in the latest beta(s) then there's not many forum threads acknowledging that yet, so the thread might be worth clarifying that alone!
Martijn085, just played back an iso from a Samba share for 10mins or so and haven't had it buffer once (tried it from an FTP share too for good measure and that was fine too).

I think it's safe to say that it was an issue with XBMC before and it's been fixed now.

DVD iso playback on the ATV2 is a go.
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I just compiled and tested the very latest git build, and I'm seeing stuttering even just loading up the DVD menu for my VIDEO_TS folders and ISO files. I have some DVD's that are retail, and one I authored myself--both stutter. I'm going to go grab some logs and post them here.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
no need to post logs on self compiled builds ... remember my words? No offense - only obeying some rules for debugging/testing and fixing...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:no need to post logs on self compiled builds ... remember my words? No offense - only obeying some rules for debugging/testing and fixing...

True enough--forgot about that, thanks for the gentle reminder. I will say that I've always noticed some degree of stuttering on these VIDEO_TS/ISO files. But I will refrain from posting any logs and will simply wait to see how things look in future betas/releases Smile
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Memphiz Wrote:no need to post logs on self compiled builds ... remember my words? No offense - only obeying some rules for debugging/testing and fixing...

Won't somebody please think of the kittens!
g-off Wrote:Won't somebody please think of the kittens!

Eehhrrmmm - right. I mean ... what?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Threats were made about self compilers

Memphiz Wrote:next thing you post here without following the readme will make me eat a baby kitten...
DeMoB Wrote:Martijn085, just played back an iso from a Samba share for 10mins or so and haven't had it buffer once (tried it from an FTP share too for good measure and that was fine too).

I think it's safe to say that it was an issue with XBMC before and it's been fixed now.

DVD iso playback on the ATV2 is a go.

Thank you DeMoB, this answer was good enough for me Big Grin

I think i`m going to buy a ATV2 and install XBMC on it, the DVD playback was one of the thinks i wanted to know, thank you again for testing!

canadave Wrote:Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I just compiled and tested the very latest git build, and I'm seeing stuttering even just loading up the DVD menu for my VIDEO_TS folders and ISO files. I have some DVD's that are retail, and one I authored myself--both stutter. I'm going to go grab some logs and post them here.

Hmm... maybe some network settings are not ok? Any trouble with playing HD video`s?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD Playback0