[AppleTV2] - Alternative to Samba - Lion user
Hi all,

Just a question... I've just installed Eden on my ATV2 and am trying to get it all working with my Mac. I have discovered that when I used to use XBMC a couple of years ago, and was using Snow Leopard previously, Samba worked fine for sharing files from a USB hard drive connected to the Mac. But now I have revisited it, and got a more uptodate version, as well as upgraded to Lion on the Mac, the file sharing option isn't working anymore... After a good Googling, I found out that Lion doesn't have Samba support anymore, so I am at a loss of wondering what to do next... I have Plex Media Server installed on the Mac, but the plug in for that isn't available to download anymore from XBMC, I have a copy of the plug in, but as you might see from another post here I am having trouble installing plugins as well. Can anyone recommend a way to share videos and music on a drive plugged into Lion over the network, and point me in the direction of how its done. I get an error saying my password is incorrect when I try to access Samba via System Prefs.. although that is the right one. Can I do a Mac based server that'll work with my ATV2Huh?

Thanks in Advance! Smile
Try AFP (Apple File Protocol). It should be on by default when you do file sharing on the Mac, then just look for it in the ZeroConf browser on XBMC or manually add the share.
I had a look at AFP... did exactly what you said and XBMC found my Mac, but there were no shared folders there, even though I set 2 of them to be available on the network. I really don't know what I am doing wrong, the guides here seem to be simple, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with whatever I try.

One thing that bugs me is that even though Samba is not on Lion, the option is still there in the software. And when I look in the settings it tells me that my username cannot be selected as the password I enter is wrong... I have looked online and found that is a known issue, but surely this shouldn't be affecting an AFP share?
I use NFS on my mac.. I found it to be much easier.. you can configure it to not require a password..

Check the wiki here -

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFS...om_Mac_OSX
+1 for NFS. Using it on Lion without problems so far. Streams everything without problems, and it's built-in.
Ubuntu 9.10 - XBMC 9.11 Beta

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] - Alternative to Samba - Lion user0