Buffering local content
Question 
Hi,

I've recently installed XBMC on my main PC, using it on the 2nd display. I've encountered an issue whereby I'll get a 'buffering' message every now and then on screen when playing back 1080p content (mkv). The media is coming from a NAS connected via Gigabit switch.

I have a little Revo box in the lounge that plays back the same content absolutely fine, I'm wondering if it's a system/config issue - or possibly low spec?

The PC is an i7 2600 with 8gb RAM, but only has the onboard HD2000 graphics which is powering 2 screens at 1080P.

What do you think?

Cheers

Edit; I've just unplugged the 2nd display and it still does it.
Star 
Unplugging a display isn't going to make any difference... the signal is still being sent unless you've disabled the second video driver. Sounds like your issue is the material coming from a NAS connected via Gigabit switch. Test this out with a local source (on your C: drive) of material and see if you get any buffering.
I disabled the 2nd screen as well as unplugged it anyway...

I've been trying to figure this out, so copied a 1080P file (aprx 10gb) onto my local hard drive, and monitored the disk write speed - which stayed at roughly 20MB/s which is more than sufficient for playback, no?

However playing back from the hard drive is fine...
Star 
Just what I thought.. so your issue is in is the material coming from a NAS connected via Gigabit switch. I suspect the swtich... but it could be the NAS and how you have that software set-up. If it's not too much trouble unplug the switch and go direct... and see what.
Thing is, I have another machine connected via the same switch to the same NAS which has no issues what so ever...

Tried playing the content via MPC (DXVA) on the PC, and it plays fine from the NAS
Are you using the motherboard's LAN (or a PCI or PCIe card)? What chipset and drivers are in use?
Motherboards onboard (Realtek) drivers - Intel chipset drivers. Both upto date
Scottland Wrote:Motherboards onboard (Realtek) drivers - Intel chipset drivers. Both upto date

Maybe your onboard lan port isn't giga bit? Check your connection
I am having a very similar issue and the rest of my PCs work fine Just one has the very same problem with XBMC player. Other players work fine.
Cash Wrote:Maybe your onboard lan port isn't giga bit? Check your connection

It's a gigabit chipset, and is connected showing 1gbps in windows - even so 100mbit lan should be sufficient.

coffeeguy57 Wrote:I am having a very similar issue and the rest of my PCs work fine Just one has the very same problem with XBMC player. Other players work fine.

Let me know if you find out what causes it. What system spec is yours?
Mine is Atom Netbook with Nvidia ION. 10/100 NIC. Its not network related, at least outside of xbmc. I can play all these files without problems in TMT3 TMT5 and MPC-HC. I would like to keep it in XBMC however so I can use XBMC remote for android.
Scottland Wrote:I disabled the 2nd screen as well as unplugged it anyway...

I've been trying to figure this out, so copied a 1080P file (aprx 10gb) onto my local hard drive, and monitored the disk write speed - which stayed at roughly 20MB/s which is more than sufficient for playback, no?

However playing back from the hard drive is fine...

just curiuos,did you copy the 1080p from youre nas over youre gb connection,if so i doubt the problem comes from you're nas as the speed is more then enough for streaming 1080p content,and you might wanna look at youre pc,maybe try another player to rule out a problem with whatever version xbmc youre running.
evoxx Wrote:just curiuos,did you copy the 1080p from youre nas over youre gb connection,if so i doubt the problem comes from you're nas as the speed is more then enough for streaming 1080p content,and you might wanna look at youre pc,maybe try another player to rule out a problem with whatever version xbmc youre running.

I've already tried Media Player Classic which doesn't exhibit the same problem Confused
do you have dvxa2 enabled in system/video ?turn on debug play the file and post the log so people can help you better
I had the same problem with the buffering issues . If i remember correctly some posting on this forum stated that the installed realtek network drivers where at fault. Upgrading the drivers fixed the issues for me .

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering local content0