New House, New Build, New Toys, But which?
Hi All,

I hope i'm posting this in the right section.

I'm seeking advice as i'm moving into a new house and i'm hoping to set up a system that will last me a while.

I currently have a Windows XBMC set up, with all the storage on a QNAP NAS. I use the pc for to handle the file management and run the MC.

Now for the house. I am hoping to solicit some help in the "design".

I have 3 locations where I want to have TVs.

Bedroom (BR), Living room(LR), Office (O).

My initial thought was to place my current PC in the O and stick the NAS in a closet along with the router and switch. Then install Apple TV in the LR and BR.

Now my question is Apple TV 2 a good route? I have never used it. I don't know what I am in for, nor how it will function. Do I have better options? Does ATV 2 have the same functions/plugins as Windows XBMC?

My wife is very anti wires and bulky boxes. So I figured ATV2 was a great solution.

I plan to run a wire to all the locations, will I loose playback quality due to distance?

I'm sure there is lots of I'm forgetting, but I hope it will be addressed amidst discussion. Also if any of this has already been addressed else where I apologize for the repost.

Thanks,
m
I've not use the ATV2 myself but from what I understand it works well with XBMC with plugins and options the same across platforms but is limited to 720p content playback. I guess it uses an apple remote which in my opinion is rather limited.

You shouldn't lose playback quality over ethernet cables in a house - the distances shouldn't be anywhere long enough.

You may want to investigate setting up a shared mySQL database to synchronise libraries between the different locations. It would probably be easier to manage your library from the PC in your office and have the ATVs read that library than have each client build their own library.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
I found the atv2 to be a bit of a pain and a bit limited when I looked into it - you can probably get some second hand ION boxes by now, e.g. ASRock ION330 etc, or Zotac boxes - millions of these have been sold so I am sure eBay has a lot of options. And these can just run Live/Openelec very well...or older mac minis with the crystalhd upgrade. Neither of those options are ATV2 small, but are definitely more flexible and easier to deal with, and not large. iOS as a base is just a hassle, it doesn't really add anything useful and just makes it harder with jailbreaking etc.

Hide your ION machine behind the TV and then all you need visible is a tiny remote receiver hanging off a USB extension cord...

You do not lose any quality by running long ethernet cables...it's all digital.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess the ATV2 is out. Downgrading the movies is not exactly what I had in mind.

What are your thoughts on this device? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856101115

I can't find the Asrock 330 anywhere. It seems its getting really good reviews, but the price is significantly higher than this item from newegg.

As always, all advice is greatly appreciated!
also found this.

Would love thoughts on this as well.

http://lifehacker.com/5391308/build-a-si...-the-cheap
While not XBMC related going the ATV2 route (at least for me added a few benefits), mainly Netflix and the occasional movie rental. Going the PC route meant Netflix was essentially impossible, and the atv2 route makes it easy. Also other than the occasional buffering issue (much more rare for me) I have not had any problems. I mainly watch TV Shows and they are all HD, no problems. My movies are mostly DVD rips that are stored as iso files, and they work well.

With the ATV being so cheap, I think it is perfect for a bedroom setup. I could see wanting something a little more powerful for the living room (like the ZOTAC), but even there it is a bit of a stretch. It might just be one of those situations where you go pick up an ATV2 try it out, if you don't like it return and get something else.

Edit:
This just popped up on Lifehacker, might help you make a decision.
How about this as an option? http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AspireRevo-AR...637&sr=8-1

Can anyone recommend a good remote system?
if you go with the Revo, make sure to try the Openelec builds, I switched from windows build to Openelec and it is 10x faster on openelec, Cold boot in 7 secs and I'm in XBMC ready to play something.

Look in my sig, I use that remote with my revo, 30$ and it's pretty decent.
Hardware: Revo 3610 + SSD - Harmony 700 Remote
Software: XBMCBuntu Gotham - Sickbeard - SabNZBd+

Thanks for the tip. Do i need to know linux to get it going? Because i have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to that...
No. I managed to install openelec no problem:
http://www.openelec.tv/installation/install-1-windows

It also has a nice auto update function so you don't have to worry about complexities of upgrading.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
jschoen Wrote:While not XBMC related going the ATV2 route (at least for me added a few benefits), mainly Netflix and the occasional movie rental. Going the PC route meant Netflix was essentially impossible, and the atv2 route makes it easy.

How is the ATV2 option "better" with Netflix? I have been considering the ATV2, but never thought there would be a difference in streaming from Netflix between a small HTPC vs ATV2. I have only used Netflix streaming via a Sony BR player and my PC since I don't own any apple devices. The PC works far better than the Sony set top player, but that might be a wireless vs wired network performance advantage.
If you go the computer route, there are ways to get Netflix to work when you run XBMC on Windows, and ways to get it work when you run XBMC on Linux if you have a second computer running windows by using something like PlayOn. Basically it is more complicated, and I never really got it to work in a way I felt that it was seamless manner.

Now on the ATV2, there is a Netflix app built into iOS already. So while it is not integrated into XBMC, I can use it all from one remote. My wife can use it easily, and everyone is happy.

I think it also a matter of what your goal are. One of my goals was to have everything controlled by a remote. If you use a wireless mouse and keyboard on windows, it will be easy to swap between XBMC and a browser to watch Netflix. If not, well ... not as easy.
Adding my two cents, long time XBMC lover, just retired two original xbox conversions as I now have the ATV 2 running Eden Beta II and could not be happier with the results.

My content is delivered via wireless, DVD ISO and xvid files, all SD at this point, 5.1 digital sound is great.

Regarding Netflix, I have a ROKU player (since it was released), the ATV 2 and the Western Digital live box. The ATV 2 has a great interface for Netflix, more intuitive, very easy to use. It just beats the others on "feel", in my opinion.

I think the other poster was correct in pointing out that Netflix via a browser just isn't as nice as via a dedicated box

With XBMC the ATV2 becomes my favorite media player. I use a Harmony remote for everything, very simple to program and use, all wireless.
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input. Basically this is the set up that I am going settle on. All connections are going to be hard wired to cut down on lag and increase quality.

Bedroom - ATV2
Office - ATV2 with windows machine for management and download station. All data is to be stored on a Qnap Nas.
Living Room - I'm going to go with one of these. http://amzn.to/wFfLpl running the OpenELEC as recommended.
Kitchen - I'm going to attach a under cabinet dock for the Ipad and stream whatever i want to watch to the Ipad when necessary/desired.

What my next question is how do get music to play through out my house? What is the best way to create a system to allow me to do that.

As one of the other posters brought up, the key to the system is the "wife" factor. This is also why I am going to the ATV2 route rather than something more complicated. I travel quite a bit, and the last thing I need during a meeting is "how do I watch a dvd" call. Same goes for this whole set up.

As always. all advice is GREATLY appreciated.
There isn't anything currently built into XBMC for that. There used to be Multiroom Audio Add-On that worked, but it has been broken for a while. Maybe somebody will pick that one back up, as that would be pretty cool to do.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New House, New Build, New Toys, But which?0