Quick jump to a movie using SMS-style keypresses
Hi all,

this might be a stupid question, but I just cant figure out the answer.

Some time ago I was able to jump to a movie in the movie list using the number keys by typing the beginning letters like typing an SMS. So pressing 3 and then 2 to jump to a movie beginning with "da".
Well, the behavior disappeared for me and I dont know why. I am using OpenELEC and tried up/downgrading to Dharma/Eden and switching skins back and forth (Aeon MQ2 <-> MQ3) but it just does not work anymore.

Is there anything to configure/setup to get this behavior back? I dont even know if it is a skin problem, an xbmc problem or an OpenELEC issue. I guess its related to XBMC though.

The only thread I could find related to the issue is quite old and involves setting it up yourself (which I would be fine with but since I had that feature without altering any keyboard.xml-files I think it is available by default nowadays): http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36623

Big thanks for any hints that might help to solve or debug my issue!
You have to define it yourself as it is not an out of the box setting. See the wiki for details on JUMPSMS in keyboard.xml
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Thanks for your reply. Too bad I still fail to really understand it. Sad

One thing I should have added since it might make difference: I am using a universal remote control (configured as XBOX360 RC) and not a regular keyboard.

The strange thing is: The JumpSMS functionality actually is working for me in "Videos->Files" and also in my SmartPlaylist for HD-Movies. But is is not working in my "normal" movies view. (??)

This is the keyboard.xml file on my system that ships with OpenELEC (I did not have a user-profile keyboard.xml):
http://pastebin.com/X56fVJug
I cant find anything related to "JumpSMS" there so I dont understand why it is working in my Smartplaylist and in Videos->Files at all.

Anyway, I added the JumpSMS bindings to my "MyVideoLibrary" section hoping to make it work which it did not:
Code:
<MyVideoLibrary>
    <keyboard>
      <delete>Delete</delete>
      <space>Playlist</space>
      <w>ToggleWatched</w>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
    </keyboard>
  </MyVideoLibrary>

Any hints what I am missing? Thank you!!

EDIT:
Well, I found out something: There is also a "remote.xml" which seems to be used for my remote control. In there there is a section with:
Code:
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>

So I guess that explains why it works for me at some places. But I still dont get why it is not working in my "normal" movies library (the most important part).
Well, one more step:
I enabled DebugLogging and found out that in both views (Movies and Files) the JumpSMS function gets triggered when I press the number keys on the remote control, but it is actually only working in the Files view:

Files:
Code:
23:23:43 T:139680689747776   DEBUG: LIRC: Update - NEW at 240172:205 0 KEY_NUMERIC_5 devinput (KEY_NUMERIC_5)
23:23:43 T:139680689747776   DEBUG: OnKey: 202 (ca) pressed, action is JumpSMS5
23:23:43 T:139680689747776   DEBUG: LIRC: Update - NEW at 240239:205 0 KEY_NUMERIC_5_UP devinput (KEY_NUMERIC_5_UP)

Movies:
Code:
23:23:21 T:139680689747776   DEBUG: LIRC: Update - NEW at 218472:205 0 KEY_NUMERIC_5 devinput (KEY_NUMERIC_5)
23:23:21 T:139680689747776   DEBUG: OnKey: 202 (ca) pressed, action is JumpSMS5
23:23:21 T:139680689747776   DEBUG: LIRC: Update - NEW at 218505:205 0 KEY_NUMERIC_5_UP devinput (KEY_NUMERIC_5_UP)

So the key configuration seems fine in both cases. Could someone tell me whats could be the cause that it is not working in the regular movie view?
Are you sure your movies are sorted by Name? It wont work when year, rating etc.
Hell, good point! Its working now Shocked So easy. Learned alot about how key bindings work in XBMC though... Thanks!
Sorry to dig up this thread but I recently moved to android version, in windows I had the shortcuts working fine. I have the same entries in my keyboard.xml and I placed the file in userdata, userdata/keymaps, system etc.. and still I don't see this working. Can someone help me out?

Thanks
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) from Android where it doesn't work?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quick jump to a movie using SMS-style keypresses0