alternative to openelec
does anyone know a good alternative to having xbmc on a linux build i tried openelec and like how lightweight and fast it was however my samba shares kept dissapearing randomly and could not access them

one minute they worked next minute they didn't i think it had something to do with my ethernet onboard

anyways looking for a simple free alternative linux build to run xbmc on i want it to be standalone like openelec i know there is the xbmc live cd but it is out of date and still running dharma

does anyone know a good one or even a good lightweight linux distro to run it off the new xbmc live cd is supposed to be going to run a lighter distro than the current ubuntu but is not out yet
In my opinion the best thing to do is compile on your machine using an oneiric minimal-installation. You have all the possibilities and in my opinion it is really fast enough! Big Grin
Depends on what kind of hardware you are running, I use the freak one on my ION machine.
http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en
If you find any spelling mistakes you can keep them ;)
Have you tried Live?

Although perhaps not as light as Openelec, it's not like it's some brick heavy OS underneath.

Why don't you just burn/prep a CD/USB and run it once without install and see how it works (or have you already)?
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
protocol77 Wrote:does anyone know a good alternative to having xbmc on a linux build i tried openelec and like how lightweight and fast it was however my samba shares kept dissapearing randomly and could not access them

one minute they worked next minute they didn't i think it had something to do with my ethernet onboard

maybe its better to look where the problem is (/var/log/message for example) and help to fix the problem instead looking for alternatives?

Stephan
greetings, Stephan

XBMC does smb/nfs natively. There's no reason to mount drives any more.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:XBMC does smb/nfs natively. There's no reason to mount drives any more.
While it does SMB/CIFS and NFS natively, I wouldn't say there's no reason to mount drives anymore. I'm constantly having a battle with running out of storage and migrating off of a full server to NAS devices. My IPs sometimes change, and I sometimes break out different types of video files onto a new device, e.g. I have a separate device for Television than I do for Movies.

Mounting the drives, I've learned, allows me to not have to update my library when I add/change devices and/or IP addresses. I just change the entry in /etc/fstab and the Library is none the wiser.

This only applies to a local library, but I have that for my Eden beta box as I'm still running Dharma on my ATV1 and it's using a central MySQL database library on my Synology NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
alternative to openelec0