ATV2 Weird Buffering fix !
Smile 
I have been following the buffering issues and have tried all of the fixed on my 2 ATV2's both running XBMC and both connected by Wifi.

Playing TV shows was never a problem but playing movies always resulted in a buffering issue. When bringing up the "info" on screen I was able to watch the Cache struggling to stay full on both devices and every 5 minutes or so it would drop drastically and then the movie would have to buffer again. I tried all the fixes I could find from the advaned config to disabliing airplay and 16 bit audio etc but none of them fixed it.

When I wired the 2 devices the buffering stops completely and the Cache on the info screen bounces from 97% to 100% and never lower, which results in everything playing fine.

Now here's the weird thing. If I wire the ATV2 into a wifi repeater the cache will stay full and it'll play perfectly, even though it's playing over wifi still. I tested this with both devices connected to a Netgear WN2000RPT and it's flawless. I also tried on N and b/g settings and even on the b/g speeds it's still perfect.

I've also tried Plex and Media Player and both stream perfectly when using the wifi from the ATV2. Is this something to do with how XBMC uses the wifi in the ATV2 ? It's obviously not my network setup or it wouldn't work with the repeater either. I'm just wondering if this is some sort of bug with XBMC itself? My setup is running fine now but I figured this may help some other people as the Netgear repeater is a cheap(ish) easy fix in my eyes.
The atv does not have to handle the wireless encryption load along with software decoding
Ok, so you're saying if I made my wifi public with no passwords that it should play better ? I may give that a try just to test it. But that doesn't explain why Media Player can play back the files perfectly ? (I can see why Plex would as it would be transcoded)
IIRC, the ATV2 has a crappy internal wireless chip. The repeater probably has a much better one.
Media player uses a newer version on ffmpeg to decode in software. Xbmc will have it one day. Maybe it is more efficient.
Thanks Smile Like I said this has solved my issues and for £50 it's worth it to get rid of the headaches and hassles and just enjoy XBMC for what it is !

If XBMC gets updated to a newer ffmpeg like you say then at least I'll still have better wifi coverage in my house haha Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 Weird Buffering fix !0