[AppleTV2] Never really going to sleep
Question 
Hey there!

A little off-topic but: has anyony recognized that the ATV2 doesn't really sleep if you turn it off?

I manually activated sleep mode in ATV2's menu
  • LED at the front of ATV2 goes off
  • TV looses HDMI signal
but I still can connect via SSH, ping it and so on Confused

Afterwards I've set the sleep timer to 15 minutes and waited till the LED turned dark. No change - I could connect via SSH but LED stayed off.

Even now - 1 day later (ATV was unused all the time) - it seems to be on with LED/HDMI off.

------

Is this normal behaviour? It forced me to do some workarounds on my "project" (Wake-On-LAN my Server as soon as ATV is switched on; bad idea if ATV never really sleeps Rolleyes)

Thanks in advance,
Lukas
Yes that is normal and this is what we try to tell the people which whine that xbmc can't put atv2 into "standby".

On atv2 standby is fake ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
This is true, but what I have is an annoying "third state" where the ATV2 light is on but no signal is sent to the TV and the box gets slightly warm. As it's not really "on" the auto sleep function doesn't work.

I know it doesn't take much energy, but the fact it gets and stays warm when it's not used with the light on really annoys me. It just goes into this state sometimes, usually when a remote signal for another device is pressed.
You must spend a lot of time being annoyed Smile
mcluki99 Wrote:Hey there!

A little off-topic but: has anyony recognized that the ATV2 doesn't really sleep if you turn it off?

I manually activated sleep mode in ATV2's menu
  • LED at the front of ATV2 goes off
  • TV looses HDMI signal
but I still can connect via SSH, ping it and so on Confused

This is very common for a lot of things, such as cable/satellite set up boxes etc. The tuner will be turned off, the screen output will come to an halt but you will still be able to log in to a version of linux or whatever OS which may be installed. ATV2 does the same, which I find quite OK.

So the question is what can you use your ATV2 for when it is in "sleep" mode ? You can for example run web-servers on it, torrent clients such as ctorrent or transmission can also be put on it and they can download stuff for you ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Never really going to sleep0