[AppleTV1] [MAC] [ATV2] SOLUTION ->SMB File sharing for Lion 10.7+ the v. easy way !
Thumbs Up 
Myself like most other Apple TV1 (and ATV2) users are sorely disappointed that Apple sought to leave all us SMB file sharing users in the dust when Lion came out. The subsequent update to Lion 10.7.3 has not fixed the issue either.

Problems:

1) AFP file sharing on XBMC Eden Beta2 is patchy, and very very slow to access when selecting media on an AppleTV1

2) Lion SMB sharing on a Mac will no longer work as well when selecting "Windows network (SMB)" or "Zeroconf Browser" to access shared SAMBA files from an Apple TV.

SOLUTION: (Very easy)

An automated (fully reversible) install of the Samba 3 file sharing system on OSX Lion.

Install the SMBUp App.
Available Here:
http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

I also had to reboot my AppleTV as I had bad stuttering issues playing 1080p movies after selecting SMB and Importing my modified Library back into the AppleTV.

Be sure to Thank the Author.
Finally SMB: sharing is back to what is was. Nerd

I was also hoping that the latest osx update would address these issues especially since there are more than a few people that saw their set up crippled after lion... Anyway, thanks for the tip and the link you posted I hope that it will work for me too.
This is perfect for me, after a lot of problems of freezing with afp, with this software problems are over.

Congratulations to the author.

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
The recent 10.7.3 Lion COMBO Updater did not work for me to support old smb sharing.

Samba in OSX Lion uses the newer SMB2 protocol, introduced by Microsoft in Windows Vista in 2006. It is incompatible with the older and slower samba protocols that have been around since Windows 3.1 for Workgroups ala 1997.

SMBUp installs a front end for Samba v3.2.15, which will support all the older slower protocols for legacy systems. ie. AppleTV1 and pre Windows Vista.

I guess thats the price of progress..... Huh

Very nice, will add this to the FAQ!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] [MAC] [ATV2] SOLUTION ->SMB File sharing for Lion 10.7+ the v. easy way !0