Text-Input via DVD-remote numeric buttons
wow, that's great, I had no idea either. added to wiki:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/inde...n_Keyboard
That is cool. Nice to know. I'll start using it now. Smile
hi i thought a pretty neat idea although quite far out would be to have t9/predictive text like on a mobile when renaming movies and files it can take quite some time to rename allot of files films music ect especially if ur in another room of the house would save going back and fore the pc. renaming can become quite tiresome unless u have a keyboard hooked up to the xbox maybe a cool feature for the future Smile
XBMC already supports SMS style input.

Someone "just" needs to write a T9 extension for it.

A patch is welcome.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I would have a go if i could code. would be cool thoughBig Grin
it is available for python http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=12350
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
i thought t9 was under patent and you had to lincense the technology from t9. or do they void for noncommercial?
(talk about bringing something back from the dead, eh?)
jmarshall Wrote:if you have the remote, you already have this input style.
sho Wrote:wouldn´t it be ideal then to add it to the online manual?

jmarshall Wrote:indeed (done btw)

I'm struggling to find any information on "multi-tap" text entry... such as under which conditions it is available, and details on the key/character associations for the various supported remotes.

The link provided above for the old wiki is broken, and I've been unable to locate any info on multi-tap in the new wiki.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
it works whenever there's a on screen keyboard. mapped like a cell phone..
spiff Wrote:it works whenever there's a on screen keyboard. mapped like a cell phone..
Thanks for the reply.

I only have an Xbox DVD-Remote, so here's its multi-tap entry that I observed...
Code:
[b]XBOX DVD-Remote multi-tap input mapping[/b]
---------------------------------------
1 : . , ; : ' " - + _ = ? ` ~ 1
2 : a b c 2
3 : d e f 3
4 : g h i 4
5 : j k l 5
6 : m n o 6
7 : p q r s 7
8 : t u v 8
9 : w x y z 9
0 : {space} ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) [ ] { } < > / \ | 0

Back : {backspace}
I don't know if it is feasible, but I would love to see some additional keys mapped to facilitate data entry without having to drop-down to the virtual keyboard:
Code:
Play    : {done/enter}
Stop    : {cancel entry} [i](same effect as Menu)[/i]

Forward       : {shift cursor one character to right}
Reverse       : {shift cursor one character to left}
Chapter Right : {jump cursor one word to right}
Chapter Left  : {jump cursor one word to left}

Title  : {Caps Shift}
Info   : Cycle through character set modes, as follows:[indent]Normal       (abc2)
Leading Caps (Abc2)
Caps Lock    (ABC2)
Num Lock     (0-9 keys only enter numbers, no entry delays)
IP Address   (0-9 keys only enter numbers, no entry delays; Chapter Right or Forward complete octet entry where built-in mechanism doesn't automatically do so)
Symbols?     (special symbol-entry mapping, TBD, for 0-9 keys)
[/indent]
Pause  : {pull-up and cycle through recent text entry strings; cycle by repeated Pause key presses}
Also, given the infrequent need to enter most symbols, would it make sense to move "1" and "0" to the front of their respective cycles?

I don't have a Media Center Extender remote to test, but I imagine the above additions wouldn't conflict so long as they're only applicable within the context of the virtual keyboard.

Thanks for listening...
plooger Wrote:The link provided above for the old wiki is broken, and I've been unable to locate any info on multi-tap in the new wiki.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
The information was probably never incorperated from the old Wacko Wiki (or whatever that abomination was called Smile )
I will look into if it still exists somewhere in cyberspace and move the info if it's still relevant.
Is there any way to active the SMS style input from the keyboard? For example, is it possible to configure the numeric keypad numbers to work the same way the number buttons work on the remote?

I have a Snapstream Firefly remote that can be easily setup to map its buttons to any keystroke. I have things setup nicely to work with XBMC except for the Search dialog. Repeatedly pressing the number buttons just results in repeated numbers. I suspect this is because XBMC doesn't realize this is a remote and just sees them as key presses.

Thanks!
You need to map the numbers to the XBMC action: "number9" et al.

That way it knows it's from a remote.

Note that this is different to "nine" which would result in a 9.

Thank you for the replay, unfortunately this doesn't seem to work.

In Keymap.xml I already see this in the global keyboard section:
<nine>Number9</nine>

Just to be sure, I tried adding this to the VirtualKeyboard section:
<keyboard>
<zero>Number0</zero>
<one>Number1</one>
<two>Number2</two>
<three>Number3</three>
<four>Number4</four>
<five>Number5</five>
<six>Number6</six>
<seven>Number7</seven>
<eight>Number8</eight>
<nine>Number9</nine>
</keyboard>

So, in theory, pressing "9" repeatedly on the keyboard should result in SMS style input, shouldn't it?

In any case it doesn't work from the remote nor the keyboard. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
It won't work for keyboard based inputs as it uses direct reading of the keyboard in that dialog.

If the only way to map a remote is to keyboard actions, then it's not going to be possible.

If, however, you can map the remote directly (i.e. without relying on <keyboard> sections) then it'll work just fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Text-Input via DVD-remote numeric buttons0