Keeping movie directories free from NFOs etc
Ok, so I had a bit of a brainwave today, I've been trying to figure out how to keep the files XBMC creates in the film's directory in a different folder (so it doesn't break my torrents).

How about creating a seperate directory tree with the right folders etc, and then create symlinks for the directories/files and have XBMC point towards those instead? That would keep the NFOs seperate as I need. Is this feasible?
Fileserver: Athlon 7850 | 8GB RAM | 5x2TB RAID-Z2 | Ubuntu Trusty | Lian Li PC-A05B

HTPC: Raspberry Pi 2 with OSMC
AnalBeard Wrote:Ok, so I had a bit of a brainwave today, I've been trying to figure out how to keep the files XBMC creates in the film's directory in a different folder (so it doesn't break my torrents).

How about creating a seperate directory tree with the right folders etc, and then create symlinks for the directories/files and have XBMC point towards those instead? That would keep the NFOs seperate as I need. Is this feasible?

AFAIK, XBMC only creates nfo's if you export the library to individual files, otherwise it's all stored in the database.

Are you using a 3rd party media manager to create the nfo's?
karandras24 Wrote:AFAIK, XBMC only creates nfo's if you export the library to individual files, otherwise it's all stored in the database.

Are you using a 3rd party media manager to create the nfo's?

I was using Ember to add more information, such as film sets etc, and to add better artwork. I've got my Thumbnails directory on my MySQL server too, but I'm unsure as to exactly how XBMC uses that directory.
Fileserver: Athlon 7850 | 8GB RAM | 5x2TB RAID-Z2 | Ubuntu Trusty | Lian Li PC-A05B

After XBMC reads the nfo and image files you can remove them for the rest of your torrent seeding as long as you don't update the info for that video.
Ned Scott Wrote:After XBMC reads the nfo and image files you can remove them for the rest of your torrent seeding as long as you don't update the info for that video.

ok, so if I have XBMC automatically update the library via a plugin, those files will be re-created again? If i remove the image files, how does XBMC continue to display them? Are they cached in the Thumbnails directory?

I just store all my MFV's in the same folder and let XBMC scrape them every time I add a movie. Is that the wrong way to do it?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
patseguin Wrote:I just store all my MFV's in the same folder and let XBMC scrape them every time I add a movie. Is that the wrong way to do it?

nope. That's what most people do. nfo's and media managers are just a way to fine-tune things.
AnalBeard Wrote:ok, so if I have XBMC automatically update the library via a plugin, those files will be re-created again? If i remove the image files, how does XBMC continue to display them? Are they cached in the Thumbnails directory?

updating the library doesn't create .nfo files. Thumbnails are cached in the thumbnail folder in the userdata folder.
Ned Scott Wrote:updating the library doesn't create .nfo files. Thumbnails are cached in the thumbnail folder in the userdata folder.

Yeah, but that's only if XBMC scrapes, isn't it? I take it there's no 3rd party media managers out there that can write directly to the database?

AnalBeard Wrote:Yeah, but that's only if XBMC scrapes, isn't it? I take it there's no 3rd party media managers out there that can write directly to the database?

Not that I know of. XBMC does scrape the info, it just does it from nfo files instead of an online scraper. So basically it reads the nfo and loads it into the database. As long as you don't update that specific movie file, XBMC will keep the nfo's data in the database. Then, once you are done seeding the torrents, you can put the nfo back in there (for when you make changes, etc).
AnalBeard Wrote:Yeah, but that's only if XBMC scrapes, isn't it? I take it there's no 3rd party media managers out there that can write directly to the database?

XWMM does directly edit the database. However from memory I can't recall if it manages images as well as themetadata
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keeping movie directories free from NFOs etc0