[XBMCbuntu] Eden Beta 3, just one small audio issue...
OK figured I would hop up to this to see if it fixed the jittery 1080i issue (it didn't Sad ) However it was a rather clean install (note to devs: the installer would look a lot better if it was a wee bigger on a 47" screen, what was what? 1024x768Huh but I digress)...

With one small, tiny problem.

sound.. and not the movie sound.. menu sounds

my aplay -l

Code:
:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

(yeah, simple Smile )

and aplay -L

Code:
:~$ aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions

this is a Nvidia 210 (Galaxy)...

set audio to HDMI, audio output to hdmi(alsa)/hdmi(alsa) and, we have sound! (except for DTS passthru, I suspect that's a TV issue, XBMC>hdmi>Vizio 47">hdmi>Sony soundbar, so I just let it convert).. everything works great...

Except for menu sounds. Nada, nothing...

any suggestions?
Try an /etc/asound.conf file with the following:
Code:
pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave {
       pcm "hw:0,3"
   }
}

Then in the Audio Output page choose "Custom" and type in plughw:0,3 as the device.
pumkinut Wrote:Try an /etc/asound.conf file with the following:

(snip)

Then in the Audio Output page choose "Custom" and type in plughw:0,3 as the device.

Nope. Well almost nope. Get menu sounds, but now have scratchy fluttering static for the video audio.
no other ideas?
Your TV probably cannot decode DTS which is where that problem is. Television passthrough isn't really raw passthrough. There's decoding going on, and I've yet to see a television do DTS decoding. When you set the output device to plughw:0,3, do you have DTS capable receiver checked, as well as the passthrough device? If so, it's passing the DTS signal to your television which doesn't know what to do with it. Does Dolby i.e. AC3 sound work? Does stereo work? Do MP3s work? If so, your setup is fine, it's your TV's inability to deal with DTS that's the issue.
pumkinut Wrote:Your TV probably cannot decode DTS which is where that problem is. Television passthrough isn't really raw passthrough. There's decoding going on, and I've yet to see a television do DTS decoding. When you set the output device to plughw:0,3, do you have DTS capable receiver checked, as well as the passthrough device? If so, it's passing the DTS signal to your television which doesn't know what to do with it. Does Dolby i.e. AC3 sound work? Does stereo work? Do MP3s work? If so, your setup is fine, it's your TV's inability to deal with DTS that's the issue.

DTS Uhecked
AC3 Checked

No sound format (DTS, AC3, MP3, M-O-U-S-E) worked. Except the menu sounds.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMCbuntu] Eden Beta 3, just one small audio issue...0