• 5(current)
Slingbox on XBMC - Here's How
I have a Windows box and kodi 14 installed on it as well as slingfront. I'm sure it's me being blind but i can't find the add-on anywhere in kodi. I can't find it under programs or video. Anyone know the exact directory to find it?

I know Tom said it auto loads into xbmc but I just can't find it.

Slingfront from the desktop and sling.com work great. Just need this last piece to finish my setup. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Peja
I stopped using XBMC and went back to mediaportal in the end but if I remember correctly I struggled to find the plugin aswell. I found it but if I remember correct its well hidden in programs or videos somewhere

By the way if you cant get slingfront to return you to XBMC properly when you close it its because slingfront has a bug in it whereby the process keeps running in the background despite you hitting exit. Take a look over on the slingfront forum and you'll see my post...

(2014-12-04, 03:07)barcrawler Wrote: karl10247,

I'm connecting both ways - 1) via the LAN to the 192.168.x.x address and 2) via the internet to the external IP address.

It works the same way with both connections. In other words, I can connect in just fine and I can see video but the video is pretty crappy and the audio does not come through. I'm using a Windows 8 machine to run XBMC. I've only got port 5001 opened up on my firewall and forwarded to the Slingbox. When I use TCPView to examine the TCP connections, I see 2 connections (1 control + 1 streaming video) and both have the correct IP address and port 5001 as the destination.

barcrawler, what slingbox are you using? I suspect this XBMC source only works with certain models. Im on a 350.

By the way if you are getting crap video try using a HDMI to connect to the slingbox from your device. I am now slinging my HTPC in the UK to the US via slingfront, connecting the HTPC to the slingbox via HDMI to HDMI/component converter and then component to the slingbox. My converter has a resolution button on it aswell which took a few presses to get it to output 1080i
Thanks for the update karl.

I think this has something to do with Kodi being a new version and slingfront being old. I ended up installing slingfront on a different computer that had xbmc on it. When I launched xbmc, in the programs folder now was slingfront add-on.

But within Kodi, it just isn't there. I am assuming Kodi may use a different file structure now and slingfront used the old one? So that add-on isn't showing up anymore.

I tried navigating through numerous directories on the xbmc to see if I could find the slingfront add-on but never found it. I was hoping to find it and then copy/paste it into kodi to see if that would work. Or load it some other way.

This is the first I have heard of mediaportal. Maybe I will look into that as well.

Thanks again.
Just an update for anyone that is looking....doubt many are...but when installing slingfront on a Kodi machine, slingfront still creates the folder in and XBMC folder withing your user profile on windows and not into the Kodi folder within that user.

A simple copy and paste from the XBMC>addon directory to the Kodi>addon directory and it is now good to go.

But just as you said Karl, the program won't exit properly and just keeps displaying the message "working". Off to the slingfront forums to see if your post had a solution.

(THANKS to servo over at the reddit forums to figure this one out for me!!)
Peja, just realised I didn't post my workaround over at slingfront

I use a logitech harmony and what I did was make a little batch file to kill the slingfront process, pinned it to the quick launch bar (in the fourth slot) and programmed my remote to fire the win+4 command when I wanted to exit. It would returns XBMC fine this way. Do not programme an alt+f4 to exit, it's not needed just the kill process bat.

sloppy way to do it I know but I guess it works
Hmmmm that sounds interesting Karl. I'm using a flirc with my harmony 650 which I assume could still work?

However, I have no idea where to start on writing that batch file. Is the quick launch bar within Kodi/XBMC or within your harmony remote?

It may be sloppy to you but sounds like it is just what I am looking for.

Any other info you can give me or help me set it up? Thanks.

EDIT: Just realized you meant the quick launch tool bar within windows. So you created a batch file that kills the slingfront process and attached it to keyboard command Win+4 and had that batch file in the fourth slot in the quicklaunch. Then you attached that command to the harmony remote using a custom mapping within the logitech software??

EDIT 2: Just wrote the tiny batch file. For anyone that doesn't know how to make a batch file for this, do the following.

Open Notepad:
Type: "taskkill /im SlingFront.exe" without quotes.
Save As: whatevernameyouwant.bat
Pin it to your taskbar / quick launch bar in Win 7 or 8 using an awesome program called WinAero - Taskbar pinner (win7) or Pin to 8 (win8).
launch slingfront.exe, hit your win+number command depending which spot the batch file is in and watch slingfront close.

Now I just have to map that command to my harmony remote.

EDIT 3:

The steps above work in my windows 7 machine but not on my windows 8 machine. The process won't kill within windows 8. The error I get within 8 is: Error: The process with PID XXXX could not be terminated. Reason: There is no running instance of the task.

This is using the taskkill /im SlingFront.exe /t /f which should kill all processes and child processes, but the only way to kill it is manually through task manager. That allows me to kill it.

The batch lets me kill the slingfront.exe if it is launched outside of kodi but within kodi is when it won't do anything. No idea why??

Any ideas Karl?
My apologies i typed my last post quickly on my ipad and i hate using that for typing so kept it brief. It looks like youve been busy slogging away at this, apologies on not providing a detailed explaination.

Good that you got it working on win7 but wont work on win8 eh? thats a strange one. Unfortunately i dont have win8 on any of my machines so cant test.
Have you tried kill task by ID? Go into cmd prompt and type "tasklist" then hit enter. Locate the slingfront.exe process and the PID in the second column. Then edit your bat file to read Taskkill /PID XXXX /F where XXXX is the slingfront PID number you just looked up. The problem with this might be that the PID might change each time slingfront is ran.

Other things you could try:
If you are running W8 home edition use TSKILL instead of taskkill
Try putting slingfront.exe in quotes e.g. "slingfront.exe"

I'll keep looking if you cant get it working
Karl,

I just saw your post now. Thanks for the update. The PID definitely changes each time so that won't be a solution. I will try the quotes thing as well.

Another solution that was posted on kodi reddit was to use advanced launcher to launch slingfront. It works great now. However, I can't get my channel guide to show up but that may be the way my remote control is setup.

Thanks for all the help with this.
Glad to help its the least I can do.

If you ever figure out how to get sling working as a source in videos (like the wiki) please let me know how!

By the way what slingbox are you using? im on a 350, perhaps the source thing doesn't like certain types

EDIT

By the way, add your comments my thread at the slingfront forum regarding how it doesn't shut down properly. Maybe the developer will take action if he see's more people are experiencing it
Wow I have dish network with hopper and could never get the built in sling player to work in xbmc .so today I went out and got sling box m1 and it seems like my luck has not changed just 150$ lighter in the pocket now someone really should update or correct that wiki.
(2015-02-06, 22:37)scilz Wrote: Wow I have dish network with hopper and could never get the built in sling player to work in xbmc .so today I went out and got sling box m1 and it seems like my luck has not changed just 150$ lighter in the pocket now someone really should update or correct that wiki.

+1!
Playing around with the logs and the errors that come back it seems like the integrated play doesn't work with the 350 or 500 as far as I can tell. Does anyone else have those two models working?
Username is always administrator according to the Kodi wiki page
Admin password is hidden since we connect through the cloud for the 350 and 500 but I found this script which will tell us.
https://newwatchsecure.slingbox.com/watc...t_boxes_js

Also from here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/slingbox_capture/

After that I get a sling stream initialization failure that I haven't been able to get around rather than the connection failure I was getting before
12:20:19 T:5528 NOTICE: Thread DVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
12:20:19 T:5528 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
12:20:19 T:5528 ERROR: XFILE::CSlingboxFile::Open - Error initializing stream on Slingbox: 192.168.0.12

Vs.
12:11:49 T:12764 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
12:11:50 T:12764 ERROR: XFILE::CSlingboxFile::Open - Error connecting to Slingbox: 192.168.0.12

Slingfront would be a pain for raspberry pi and other devices so I'd prefer if I could get the integrated one working. I have slingfront working, though not hooked up to Kodi yet.
I think we need a new developer, this plugin seems dead as dead can be and most of the original posters have gone awol

Anyone know how to develop a new slingobx plugin
Anyone knows if Kodi supports slingbox 500?
It doesnt it only worked for the much older boxes closest youll get is a plugin called slingfront
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slingbox on XBMC - Here's How2