• 4(current)
Slingbox on XBMC - Here's How
I am trying to add sling player to my FireTV. I have followed the instructions on the wiki for xbmc, but once I add the source I'm not sure where to go? The wiki instructions are very confusing? Could someone please help me with a step by step instruction for adding this correctly? Thank You!
(2014-09-11, 00:36)heatherlpike Wrote: I am trying to add sling player to my FireTV. I have followed the instructions on the wiki for xbmc, but once I add the source I'm not sure where to go? The wiki instructions are very confusing? Could someone please help me with a step by step instruction for adding this correctly? Thank You!

Its in videos->fies where you add the source but i cant for the life of me get it working......
Dudes,

Per last post i need some guidance with the instructions on the wiki to add slingbox as a source. I've added slingrfont in no problem, it works well as does the webplayer but i'd like to try the video source version to decide which i want to use going forward. All attempts so far at adding the source have resulted in "Playback Failed" even though i believe i am following the wiki correctly.

From the wiki, syntax for source is: sling://username:password@slingboxaddress:port/input

Please clarify:
1. username: is it administrator OR viewer per wiki OR is this your login ID you would use on the webplayer e.g. [email protected]?
2. password: is this literally the word "password" OR is this your login password you would use on the webplayer
3. slingboxaddress: is this the PUBLIC IP you can get from settings->network details from the webplayer OR is it the LOCAL IP? If local how do you resolve? hostname:XX.XX.XX.XX?
4. Port: is this the port number you can get from the settings->network details in the webplayer or something else?
5. Input: wiki says i can leave this blank, otherwise i have tried "1" as input. what is everyone else using?

An example (with dummy numbers) would be good to see from someone e.g. sling://administrator:[email protected]:5001/1 or whatever

Some assistance would be appreciated
hello out there......anyone alive?
Still no reply, anyone care to assist?
(2014-10-13, 23:17)karl10247 Wrote: Still no reply, anyone care to assist?

Hi Karl,

I am also trying to get the combination of Fire TV + XBMC + Slingbox working. Like you, I'm not having any luck yet. My source connection entry looks like this:
Quote:sling://administrator:[email protected]:myPort

Where xx.xx.xx.xx is my external IP address. This appears to add my Slingbox as a source, but when I select "Watch Slingbox" in XBMC, nothing whatsoever happens. No error message, no anything.

I have a few theories on what's going wrong:
1) I am not able to confirm that the slingbox port has been forwarded properly in my case. The slingbox I'm trying to connect to belongs to my in-laws and they are not that tech savvy.
2) It seems possible that support for connecting to Slingboxes with this method has been dropped from newer versions of XBMC? All the discussion that I can find is a couple years old. Seems like people are now using Slingfrongt which is obviously not a viable option for those of us on AFTV.
3) Perhaps we are getting the source entry string wrong? I am going to experiment some more when I get a chance.

In any case, according to other sources, the Android tablet version of Slingplayer works decently enough on AFTV when sideloaded. However, that's a last resort for me as it costs $15, requires a mouse and keyboard, and apparently has a rather poor interface. If I make any progress in connecting to my Slingbox from within XBMC, I will certainly come back and update this thread.

Good luck.
Hi tokamak,

I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to do the same thing.

I've been successful in connecting to my Slingbox, but the video quality is quite bad even over a LAN and the audio is missing entirely. I'm going to keep playing around with it trying to understand as much as I can about it, but I've still got a lot of learning to do.

You say that you're trying to connect to your in-laws' Slingbox through the external IP address. It sounds like the port forwarding rules on your in-laws router are not configured properly. In my case, the Slingbox is on an internal IP address of 192.168.xx.xx listening on port 5001. So when I'm connected via the LAN, I can use the following URL.

sling://administrator:[email protected]:5001/4

This will connect to video input source #4 (the component input) on my Slingbox.

Externally you can use a URL of the form.

sling://administrator:[email protected]:5001/4

Where xx.xx.xx.xx is your external IP address. However there must be a port forwarding rule on the router that will forward port 5001 to the internal address of 192.168.xx.xx:5001. In my case, that port forwarding rule exists and the connection works fine from the internet. But in your case, it sounds like no such rule exists. I would suggest that you take a look at the router settings or coach your inlaws to look at them for you.
Barcrawler, it sounds as though you are connecting to your slingbox within a local network i.e. the slingbox is in one room and you are in another. By connecting this way you can use the internal IP of the slingbox.

I am attempting to connect to my slingbox back in the UK using the public IP given on the slingplayer web interface as i explain above. I know all ports are opened correctly (i have a WD TV box that took ports opening to get it working properly) i just dont think this "plugin" works via external IP

Perhaps if you go round to a friends and try to connect via the external IP you could report back to us

(2014-11-08, 19:47)tokamak Wrote: Where xx.xx.xx.xx is my external IP address. This appears to add my Slingbox as a source, but when I select "Watch Slingbox" in XBMC, nothing whatsoever happens. No error message, no anything.

I get this too but have managed to get slightly further in that it attempts to play something for a few seconds (you can see the progress thing at the bottom) but then failed. What i noticed is that i got that bit further when i switched the port number from 5201 (shown on the web player settings) to 5001.

However still no playback Sad

Make sure both 5201 and 5001 are opened both on the router at the slingbox end and your end. This fixed a previous problem i had connecting to my WD TV
Right i've tried everything and im fedup!
Tried external IP
Tried hostname and local IP
Tried both slingbox ports
Tried everything....
Can someone please confirm if they have slingbox working via an external network? I.e remote, not within your home network
karl10247,

I'm connecting both ways - 1) via the LAN to the 192.168.x.x address and 2) via the internet to the external IP address.

It works the same way with both connections. In other words, I can connect in just fine and I can see video but the video is pretty crappy and the audio does not come through. I'm using a Windows 8 machine to run XBMC. I've only got port 5001 opened up on my firewall and forwarded to the Slingbox. When I use TCPView to examine the TCP connections, I see 2 connections (1 control + 1 streaming video) and both have the correct IP address and port 5001 as the destination.
Need help.

I installed SlingFront on Windwos 7 PC with XBMC.
The PC is connected to a monitor via DVI and to a TV via HDMI. The XBMC is set to run on the TV.
When I launch SlingFront it opens on the monitor and not on the TV whether I'm launching it from within the XBMC or not.
Because it's full screen there is no way to drag it to the TV.
How do I make it run on the TV and not on the monitor?

Thanks.
could new slingboxs be integrated into kodi 15? is it even possible?
(2014-11-08, 19:47)tokamak Wrote: In any case, according to other sources, the Android tablet version of Slingplayer works decently enough on AFTV when sideloaded. However, that's a last resort for me as it costs $15, requires a mouse and keyboard, and apparently has a rather poor interface. If I make any progress in connecting to my Slingbox from within XBMC, I will certainly come back and update this thread.

Unfortunately, I haven't made any progress on getting Slingplayer to work from within XBMC on my Fire TV. However, for the benefit of people who may find this thread through Google, I came back to report that Amazon has released a native Slingplayer app for the Fire TV (and Fire TV stick). I can't say that the interface is the most elegant I've ever seen, but it's free (compared to $15 for the Android tablet version!) and works well enough.
Unfortunately i think there isnt much interest in the whole slingbox+kodi system, shame really as slingfront is a only a crude workaround and i'd really like to see a decent plugin or at the very least some detailed instructions on how to use it as a source

Confused
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slingbox on XBMC - Here's How2