[iOS] Build to support Retina display?
Hi all,

Sorry to ask this question again. Smile I have already read the FAQ and known official public release doesn't support Retina display at present. So, today, I tried to build to support the Retina display by myself.

Since I only have Xcode 4.2 iOS 5 SDK on Snow Leopard, I can't directly use project files from github. Patching and building all dependencies took me plenty of time. Finally, I made it.

Then, I changed some code in "XBMCEAGLView.mm". Add two lines

Code:
eaglLayer.contentsScale = [[UIScreen mainScreen] scale];
self.contentScaleFactor = [[UIScreen mainScreen] scale];

to the method:

Code:
- (id)initWithFrame:(CGRect)frame

And changed the function glViewport(0, 0, 960, 640) in method "- (void) setFramebuffer".

Unfortunately, I only got 1/4 display on the Retina screen, but with correct display of the very beginning "XBMC" banner and fullscreen touch area.

Could anyone show me some hint or advice to achieve full Retina support? Thanks a lot!

Update:
Got fullscreen Retina display, but touch failed...

Yet another update:
I made it! Full Retina display and fullscreen touch!

Good News: Thanks to our great devs, Eden final will support Retina!
And I have seen Retina commit on github.

Here is the Debian package for the brave people who want to test Smile
Edit: Retina Build Update for Release Candidate Version (from github, Mar 1st, 2012)
http://code.google.com/p/yangapp/downloa...os-arm.deb

XBMC 11 for iOS (Old version):

Sounds great Smile. Go go go - and i think davilla might be interested in the patches you needed to make it compile on xcode 4...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Sounds great Smile. Go go go - and i think davilla might be interested in the patches you needed to make it compile on xcode 4...

Oh, thanks and I made it !! I will release my version soooon!
deb link? :D
Ned Scott Wrote:deb link? Big Grin

I have made some workround to achieve compalition on Xcode 4.2, such as disable the asm optimized code of the "MathUtils.h" and disable the asm code in libavutil/arm/intmath.h of FFmpeg. I find some serious performance issue, especially problem with sound output. Confused

So, I will downgrade my Xcode version and try later. Smile Also, I will show my patch here.

Edit: Now I am building xbmc on my old hackintosh with Xcode 3.2.5. Big Grin
I have finished building on Xcode 3.2.5 on my old Dell Laptop Hackintosh Smile
Built from the latest XBMC github source (17th Feb) and the audio performance issue is also solved by rolling back to the old gcc-4.2.

Here is the Debian package:
XBMC 11 for iOS (Retina Display test version):
Edit: Retina Build Update for Release Candidate Version (Mar 1st, 2012)

Memphiz or other developers, would you test my build or patch and then push to the git master build?
holy crap, it's beautiful!

mmmmm, retina
If you have the XBMC source checked out, it'd be great if you could do a pull request on github.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:If you have the XBMC source checked out, it'd be great if you could do a pull request on github.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Of course, I will have a try to do a pull request.

Edit: I have made a pull request. Hope that will be helpful. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/701 Smile
Thank you so very much! Big Grin

Looks beautiful now.
linusyang Wrote:Oh, thanks and I made it !! I will release my version soooon!

Is this Retina version for iPhone4 or for iPad?
how to use the retina.patch file?
basslover Wrote:Is this Retina version for iPhone4 or for iPad?
how to use the retina.patch file?

You can just download the Debian package from the links which I posted.
linusyang Wrote:You can just download the Debian package from the links which I posted.

I put this on my iPhone4 oh my god, I played a 720 mkv the clarity is unbelievable. awesome!!(could also hurt my eye too because the image is so fine LOL) you did it! Thanks for your work! Hey Memphiz definitely need to merge this code into the next release!

For any other interested Easy way to try this is to connect your device to ifunbox, drag drop the .deb into the Cydia App install folder. Then reboot your device. after it boots it will install the .deb quietly in the background. wait about 2 minutes then try this Retina version.
Just installed it on my ipad2, menu is sharper and folder art is loads sharper! Didn't think it would make any difference!

Easy way to install is just use ifile to install it for you
This sounds good, I may give it a try.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[iOS] Build to support Retina display?0