Google Android 4.0 1080P WiFi Internet TV box/ refee / wephd
Information 
Hi,

(for readability reasons, i call the box "refee box" here)

since there is no thread about this box already, yet some users already seem to use it, i decided to start one to share the information i already got.

The box is available at dx and via several dealers on ebay. Since you can get it with there, possibilities to get one are higher because you don't have to mess around with customs.

The link at dx is here.

(The box is offered as 512gb/2GB and as 1GB/4gb version) (ram/nand flash)

Producer is either refeedigital or webphd. Haven't found out which one exactly yet.

The soc is the same as in the g-box midnight, an amlogic-M3. Sources for this SOC are not available, yet there is some effort to raise money to buy 500 boxes and get the source from the manufacturer. See here.

The best point to loook for firmware is g-box atm, because they actively work on the midnight and try to get XBMC running there. If anything does not work, they get back to the manufacturer, amlogic, to sort the problems out. So g-box is our best bet atm to get the refee box running.

There are two different G-Box midnight hardware revisions. One is called 2.0 and one, "with the sticker", is the 2.1. The refee seems to match the midnight 2.0, which is not supported as good as the midnight 2.1 and seems to have wired ethernet issues. g-box is a little quiet about that, but if you look at the forums it seems this is an hardware issue and hardware rev. 2.1 was made to fix that issue. As far as i see atm, 2.0 owners can use 2.1 firmware, you "just" lose the wired network in that case.

If i get more information i'll post here.
Here some images of the box

The box can easely be recognized as it does have spdif-optical right from the audio plug:

I've got one of these. Here's my general feedback (posted earlier this week to another thread and updated a little).

The Pro's:

* Runs the GBox Midnight ROM's - these are better than what came with the device itself and already rooted.
* XBMC performs reasonably well streaming media by LAN (using SMB). I can play the 20mbit test from http://jellyfish.satch.com/ as well as every 720p and 1080p rip I've tested so far with minimal problems (odd jitter aside). Definitely notice it stuttering on the 40mbit test file though.
* With the tweaks suggested (hide menu bar etc.), it runs reasonably well

Cons:
* No flash as far as I can see. Anyone know where I can get it?
* Not true 1080p. Even when configured to 1080p in Android it seems to upscale 720p,
* The remote included is rubbush.
* The external SD card is not mounted as /mnt/sdcard which is a potential issue for me as I want to store the XBMC meta/library files for my large media library there once I get it fully up and running.
* Have been unable to run any of stane's ROM's despite it being the same base device type (f16ref)
* No NFS support and seems to be issues with NFS on Midnight ROM's.
* XBMC is certainly alpha. Frequent clashes and glitches playing media which is to be expected.

In comparison to the SumVision Nano Cyclone (which is idential to the Pivos XIOS), it is noticably snappier in both Android and XBMC. Although running the Linux XBMC on the Sumvision was overall a much more solid solution.

I'm running an XBMC build from the 10th October (linked to from androidtvbox.us). Anyone know of any other more recent builds that are reliable? Has there been any progress getting linux on this?
thank you grantonstar for the infos.

Can you tell if the refee box is the 2.0 or the 2.1 midnight design?

(2012-11-16, 09:17)checkup Wrote: thank you grantonstar for the infos.

Can you tell if the refee box is the 2.0 or the 2.1 midnight design?

There is a lot of discussion about slow speeds with the wired network connection being a hardware issue at the midnight forums. Does anyone know if this box has the same defect? I've tested quite thoroughly and have not noticed anything but perhaps I'm not pushing it hard enough.
I'm using the most recent firmware from g-box, the UWS102912pusa_121115ext.rar and the box does not load ethernet at all. Only Wifi works. Haven't tested the older revisions suitable for the 2.0 hardware. So i can't tell. But i will test them out in the next few days.

Aside from that:

What really is missing are the joydev/uinput/xpad modules to connect joypads to the device. Anyone with a direct contact to the g-box guys to tell them to include the modules in one of their next builds?
The 2.0 GBox firmwares support ethernet. However, updates are released slower than for 2.1.
(2012-11-15, 20:56)grantonstar Wrote: I've got one of these. Here's my general feedback (posted earlier this week to another thread and updated a little).

The Pro's:

* Runs the GBox Midnight ROM's - these are better than what came with the device itself and already rooted.
* XBMC performs reasonably well streaming media by LAN (using SMB). I can play the 20mbit test from http://jellyfish.satch.com/ as well as every 720p and 1080p rip I've tested so far with minimal problems (odd jitter aside). Definitely notice it stuttering on the 40mbit test file though.
* With the tweaks suggested (hide menu bar etc.), it runs reasonably well

Cons:
* No flash as far as I can see. Anyone know where I can get it?
* Not true 1080p. Even when configured to 1080p in Android it seems to upscale 720p,
* The remote included is rubbush.
* The external SD card is not mounted as /mnt/sdcard which is a potential issue for me as I want to store the XBMC meta/library files for my large media library there once I get it fully up and running.
* Have been unable to run any of stane's ROM's despite it being the same base device type (f16ref)
* No NFS support and seems to be issues with NFS on Midnight ROM's.
* XBMC is certainly alpha. Frequent clashes and glitches playing media which is to be expected.

In comparison to the SumVision Nano Cyclone (which is idential to the Pivos XIOS), it is noticably snappier in both Android and XBMC. Although running the Linux XBMC on the Sumvision was overall a much more solid solution.

I'm running an XBMC build from the 10th October (linked to from androidtvbox.us). Anyone know of any other more recent builds that are reliable? Has there been any progress getting linux on this?

WTF a 40mbit test file? That was just mean lol Tongue I've never seen one over 20 I don't think, even for the uber blu ray rips.

However, this box is $120, no thank you. I'm gonna go back to praying they make a port for the mk802 I bought for $40 Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Android 4.0 1080P WiFi Internet TV box/ refee / wephd1