No network connection, linux help please!
Hi all,

I have decided to build my XBMC from fresh.

However for whatever reason I don't get network connectivity. The physical connections are fine so I assume it is a config issue.

When I do an ifconfig, all I get is a loopback address of 127.0.0.1

I've looked at my /etc/udev/rules.d/70_persistent-net.rules file and I can see my NIC listed, although there's another one there as well which I presume is from the machine I used to install XBMC live to a hdd. Has anyone any ideas I can try please?
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
I have no clue whether it's of any help, but the below steps needed to be done on my build to make wired network work (taken from the guide which I followed):

Quote:$ sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
# add these 2 lines:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Now save the file and quit editing the file.

At the command line again, type:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
You should now have wired ethernet networking operational.

Type the following to see your IP address:
$ sudo ifconfig -a

Under the ‘eth0′ section, look for the ‘inet addr:’ subsection and you should see a valid IP address there…
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
you legend!

It was referencing eth0 but my NIC is on eth1 so I needed to change it, and voila! I get an IP address! thanks very much! Smile
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
cable_guy Wrote:you legend!

I think I need to screenshot that Laugh

Glad I could lead you to associate in the right direction, particularly since my knowledge level about Linux is virtually zero.

Enjoy your build Smile
Question 
Orclas Wrote:I have no clue whether it's of any help, but the below steps needed to be done on my build to make wired network work (taken from the guide which I followed):

Help a guy out... what the hell is all that you dumped into the quote? More importantly, how do I do this to my box? I'm running XBMC Live from a USB key. I was running fine for about a year when the USB stick I was using died.
It's from this guide, which helped me get my build going. Whether it's of any help for your particular HW I can't say.
Hmmm... just re-read my original post. I didn't mean to be so bitchy. I had just woken up, plugged in the USB and was not in a happy place. Anyway, I figure it out because of this post. Only difference was I had to change eth0 to eth1 and away it went.

oh... and it was ctrl+alt+F1 to get to the command prompt in case someone as lazy as me runs into this one.

Thanks for the help Orclas! :-)
You're most welcome! Smile

Didn't think about any bitchiness in your post, perhaps because I was dulled down by it being Friday afternoon with still plenty to do at work :p

Hi Orclas,
i'm a noobie and my problem is quite similar, since my network seems not reachable from my new XBMCbuntu.

Before boring you i'd like give some additionals information about my new hw under test:
CPU G530 Celeron dual core
MB ASROCK H61M-HVS with HDMI embedded
4 GB ram
1 sata 2.5 Hdd +(60GB) just for booting the system.

all described above equipped with the new XBMCBUNTU 11.0 eden installed from USB
all HW+SW described above is running very well and all kind of media files has been played successfully up to 1080P without any lateness.

And now im so near to the end of the project , but all the network hw seems not running correctly and my media are all inside a remote NAS
allways streamed with four old XBOX using SAMBA client\server.

reading your post the solution seems behind the corner but I've tryed to add the 2 lines suggested

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and more

$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

and now the behavior is changed and during the startup , under XBMC appear "waiting for network configuration" and this warning sounds good,
but after 2 minutes the desktop of xbmc does not appear and remain a mouse pointer alone in the center of the screen.
from the command line , typing XBMC the

cuold you please help me (please evaluate to take a pill to be quite in order my khow how about linux is 0).

thanks in advance

Post your output from ifconfig
(2012-04-07, 00:48)gerbano Wrote: Hi Orclas,
i'm a noobie and my problem is quite similar, since my network seems not reachable from my new XBMCbuntu

Hehe, you overestimate me, I'm pretty much just as much a noob as you are and my Linux knowledge doesn't go past google and cut & paste stuff into XBMC.

It sounds strange that those simple lines of code would totally bork the system, even if it was used for Dharma in my case and you're using Eden. Still, those should be some very basic and generic commands which I can't really see having that effect.

Anyhow (and sorry to say) I can't really help you, but I'm sure others can. Start by doing what godfrey suggested and post the ifconfig output.

Edit:

1) If you get into the system, I'm sure it's a lot easier if switching to the underlying GUI Linux environment, instead of messing around with command lines (that's a great benefit of XBMCbuntu over Live)

2) Can you access the system via Telnet (google "Putty, it's a good and simple client)?
first of all, thanks for your quick answer.

Honestly speaking, im afraid to have a big oversight since both all my previous xbmc (1st xbox based) and the windows version of xbmc (8.10 or similar) can browse my network without any problem.

anyway, during next nights i'd like better investigate.

i'll keep you informed , but probably in the next few day i'll try to install ubuntu and after download the xbmc from the repository.

I'm aware that my question could seem stupid, but there is someone that has tested the new Eden connected to a NAS (freenas) via SMB client?

regards and thanks again

(2012-04-07, 02:54)godfreydanials Wrote: Post your output from ifconfig

thanks, i'll make as soon as possible.

regards

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No network connection, linux help please!0