Newbie - How to make movie "folders"?
First XBMC is great. I come from MythTV. My primary use is for organizing a movie library and TV Shows. I've read extensively in the Wiki and here in the forums but I freely admit there's a lot more I could read. With that in mind I'd appreciate any pointers to beginner's guides. I've read several but none address my getting started issues. Perhaps my questions are unique but perhaps I could collect what I learn into (another :-) ) beginner or getting started guide. Comments welcome.

Is there a way to make "folders" or "views" to categorize my movies or tv shows into "New Releases", "To Be Viewed" and "Archive"? A lengthier explanation follows.

I've read the info on naming conventions. My movie library is easily found, organized and labeled. However, I'd like to have maybe three groups of movies. One would be "New Releases". Another might be "To Be Viewed" and finally there would be the "Video Archive".

I work off of a file server and it would be nice if this were one share with three sub-folders (versus three different shares), although I'll do whatever is required to get the effect I seek.

I know that I can sort on "recent" and movies I've already watched but that doesn't help for a new installation. I currently have different folders to categorize my movies although "archive" is a sub-folder off of "new releases". This works fine for MythTV which maintains the folder structure when displaying titles. XBMC consolidates everything and displays it as one monolithic view. I love that view, but it's harder to find and assign my own categories to movies.

I don't think it matters but I'm using Aeon NOX and Beta 3.

Thanks in advance.
For seperating this into 3 parts you have two options:

1)
You might work on os/fs level...
You can seperate your files and directories into this this 3 dirs...
Using FileMode would be easy and is quite easy to setup...

2)
You might use SmartPlaylists...
Then you need some filter rules based on your criteria...then you can pin this playlists to the home menu...

mad-max
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure XBMC isn't really built for this level of granularity when it comes to the database. Well, it might be more accurate to say that the granularity isn't customizable.

One thing you could definitely do is set up some smart playlists for the task: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Pla..._Playlists

Then I'd suggest using a skin that lets you add these playlists to the homescreen, like a Favourite. Any view you set for that playlist SHOULD stick as well. Then you get a pretty native-feeling implementation of what you want.

The XBMC library has a few of these things built in too... try taking a look at the root directory of the Video library. You've got a few listings there like "Unwatched" that may be helpful.
I rearranged my movies into three folders, basically "New" "Of Interest" and "Archive". The names were previously scrubbed. XBMC happily identified all the movies. Now, when I go into "Movies", off of the main menu, I see all of the movies and I can use the XBMC search and arrange capabilities. If I go into Videos I can use "Files" to see the specific folders. Perhaps not ideal, but certainly workable.

Thanks again,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie - How to make movie "folders"?0