Newbie - Browser / Ubuntu Desktop
This seems obvious but I can't find it. XBMCBuntu is built on Ubuntu and one of it's "benefits" seems to be the ability to access the Ubuntu Desktop. How do I get there? I'm assuming I "drop out" of XBMC but perhaps that's an incorrect assumption as well.

One of my primary reasons is to get to a browser. I saw some interesting information on getting to a browser (and thus Hulu, etc) from within XBMC which sounds pretty cool. I'm looking forward to working with it. (just FYI)

My second reason is that my sound is not working (yet). I'd like to use Ubuntu and see if I can get it working there first. XBMC can't use the audio if the base OS can't find it first. (also just FYI).

Thanks in advance.
If using the newest build of XBMCbuntu, you can get to a desktop by exiting XBMC. You should be dropped to a graphical login prompt.

As far as sound, we can't help you without first knowing what hardware you're working with. If you drop to a shell, what's the output of aplay -l (that's a lowercase L not number one or uppercase i).
pumkinut Wrote:If using the newest build of XBMCbuntu, you can get to a desktop by exiting XBMC. You should be dropped to a graphical login prompt.

As far as sound, we can't help you without first knowing what hardware you're working with. If you drop to a shell, what's the output of aplay -l (that's a lowercase L not number one or uppercase i).

OK, sound is fixed and working.

For those wishing to do the same... To get to the desktop you highlight shutdown but then push the down arrow to get another menu below the menu bar. Select quit from that list and you'll be at a sort of logon screen. On that screen select your userid and enter your password and then select XBMCBuntu from the pull down list.

Thank you,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie - Browser / Ubuntu Desktop0