• 7(current)
This thread is for forum update discussion
(2012-03-11, 07:42)jmarshall Wrote: Things are going well - da-anda has been doing great work getting the convertor scripts up and running and actually converting useful stuff across to the new system.
Great job da-anda

(2012-03-12, 09:10)paavor Wrote: Good job with this forum conversion! Even my subscribed threads are saved!
I would say this vB3 to MyBB conversion was the best of it's kind I've ever seen.
It sure would take alot of time and superb php knowledge to accomplish it.

(2012-03-12, 18:25)theuni Wrote: Now that the new forum is up and running, we had to some mysql tuning to accomodate. Looks like we're much better off now.

Running quite well as I use it today.

(2012-03-15, 14:59)JoeLouie Wrote: I really like the look of MyBB. I currently run a forum using vBulletin, and I was debating switching to a free alternative, either phpBB (which I'm familiar with, and have used in the past) or MyBB (which I've never really used), and I think I've made up my mind after seeing this!
Good work guys!

da-anda: Thanks. The theme you see here is a mod of the default theme - so you won't get it "officially" somewhere. I also did some "hacks" using myBBs hook system to get the topbar working as intended etc. - but the theme is not the biggest issue for a conversion. If you would like to migrate EVERYTHING that myBB supports and you currently use in vB like we did (subscriptions, banned users, custom user fields, buddies, signature pics, spammers, blocked ips) then you have to mess around with the converter script. I had to write 8 custom converter modules and modified pretty much all existing converters to perform better. Also if you like to keep the IDs so that links work again you have to mess with the converter scripts. If time allows I'll try to contribute my modifications to the official myBB converter - but I'm not sure if they would accept my hacks.
@JoeL: I would be worried you would not be able to replicate the expert migration witnessed here. MyBB might require more resources than you are currently using and thus might be more costly to host. Do your homework before migrating !

(2012-03-18, 21:38)da-anda Wrote: we had some performance issues lately (probably because of the ATV3 post in the forum) and tried to lower the load by disabling some stuff - might come back again in a few days.
Hopefully with your skilled admin ability you can keep forum.xbmc.org going strong.
I also hope it isn't too much work for you. !
Fantastic work thus far !

ASrock Ion 330HT - XBMCFreak 10.1 Lucid LiveCD. Everything works but System sounds over HDMI.
thanks for your kinds words osirisjem.

Quote:Hopefully with your skilled admin ability you can keep forum.xbmc.org going strong.
there's ofc room for microtuning in the forum code - but the issue is, if we change something, updates don't apply nicely anymore Sad Let's see.
Yaaaaay! Forum Jump is back! The forum seems to be running well, and it is amazing to see how flawlessly (at least to those of us on the outside) this has been handled.
Any chance of upping the signature limit to 400 characters?

BBcode and long html links are counted making it not easy to fit in my specs.
is it possible to move the page number links that are at the bottom of each thread page? currently they are below the quick reply box - i dont always want to reply, but i do always want to go to the next page if there is one. i know that i can expand or collapse the quick reply box....
Wink 
da-anda great job on the forum. Working superb. Is there a way you can integrate the below into the forum.

Thank you like system

I know we have reputation system with the +- however I believe the above plugin works differently since you actually LIKE the post of the user.

see below it adds a thanks button and then shows the users that have thanked that post.

or you can use it as a like button

Great work!
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
(2012-03-15, 18:01)da-anda Wrote:
(2012-03-15, 14:59)JoeLouie Wrote: I really like the look of MyBB. I currently run a forum using vBulletin, and I was debating switching to a free alternative, either phpBB (which I'm familiar with, and have used in the past) or MyBB (which I've never really used), and I think I've made up my mind after seeing this!

Good work guys!
Thanks. The theme you see here is a mod of the default theme - so you won't get it "officially" somewhere. I also did some "hacks" using myBBs hook system to get the topbar working as intended etc. - but the theme is not the biggest issue for a conversion. If you would like to migrate EVERYTHING that myBB supports and you currently use in vB like we did (subscriptions, banned users, custom user fields, buddies, signature pics, spammers, blocked ips) then you have to mess around with the converter script. I had to write 8 custom converter modules and modified pretty much all existing converters to perform better. Also if you like to keep the IDs so that links work again you have to mess with the converter scripts. If time allows I'll try to contribute my modifications to the official myBB converter - but I'm not sure if they would accept my hacks.

Are you planning on releasing this theme? Smile
(2012-03-21, 23:15)rflores2323 Wrote: Is there a way you can integrate the below into the forum.
I know we have reputation system with the +- however I believe the above plugin works differently since you actually LIKE the post of the user.

there is currently a internal discussion about the reputation system, it if should be kept in general or be replace with some kind of "thank you" system.

(2012-03-22, 09:58)tomiso Wrote:
(2012-03-15, 18:01)da-anda Wrote: Thanks. The theme you see here is a mod of the default theme - so you won't get it "officially" somewhere.
Are you planning on releasing this theme? Smile

The theme is not finished yet - only the main views have been changed/adopted code wise (html structure) - so there is still some work to do until it would be ready to "publish". It also depends on using hooks to manipulate some stuff - not sure if this fits the overall myBB theme rule. I also moved a little away from the general theming conventions to get a more semantically correct html structure and a clean html code base. Once I think it's finished and ready for consumption I'll add it to the myBB repo. But if anybody would like to get it right away, just drop a PM and I export the current version.
I'd also love to see a thank you button.

It stops all the pointless thank you replies and also motivates people to be even more helpful when replying to threads.

Maybe we could also get a "slap with fish" button too Wink

The current reputation number system means nothing really.
(2012-03-27, 16:08)zag2me Wrote: I'd also love to see a thank you button.

It stops all the pointless thank you replies and also motivates people to be even more helpful when replying to threads.

Maybe we could also get a "slap with fish" button too Wink

The current reputation number system means nothing really.

That's the "slap with wet throut" button Rofl
+1
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
da anda

any update on the like system and how the internal talks are going?

Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
sorry, no news. Internal discussion stalled and I'm currently still on my way to catch up the worktime I lost for the forum conversion Sad Gimme one more week to satisfy my customers and I'll have time for some forum work again.
Something else I've just noticed, the post for each reply on thread shows the post number which is displayed as a hyperlink, this is similar to before, however on the old forum if you clicked the numbered hyperlink it would show you just that single post without the rest of the page, however on the new forum software clicking on the post number hyperlink appears to do nothing.

For example above is Post: #102 , so clicking on #102 on the old forum would have displayed only that single post.

Is it possible with the new forum software to display only a single post from a thread? Not a big deal if not or if it might cause problems to implement, just thought I'd bring it up as it was something I found helpful for directing people to only the posts containing the info they require without the surrounding chatter.
Hi, single post display is not possible by default in myBB - but if you click on the link from elsewhere the page will scroll down directly to this post - so it's more or less the same in the end. I might add a option to highlight the referenced post though.
It would be useful to have possibility to merge threads as with old forum, provided that myBB does not lack this feature.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

• 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
This thread is for forum update discussion0