Viewing Xbmc on a computer
I just give the advice, you need to work the glory! :O)
I completely understand what you are proposing and it would be cool.

It certainly can be done now, but in a much more manual way. Once you get your main box all setup and configured the way you want, you can share your media folders, setup SQL to sync the libraries and basically copy your userdata folder over to each of the clients so they all look and feel the same. (It isn't quite that easy but I think you see where I'm headed.) I even have a shared thumbs folder on the server (even though it is not recommended) and it all works very well.

What you have in mind sure would be quicker to setup a new box when you want to add one. Overall, once you get it all down in your head as to how everything interacts, it doesn't take all that long to do the way I briefly described above.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
@TechLife...
The question the OP asked is actually something I enquired about a while back as I too think it would be a useful idea. To be able to control my daughters xbmc from my lpatop or iPad etc would be invaluable to me.

I think if xbmc could stream its GUI via http or so to allow me to select a new movie for her (as she can't really use it as she's only 6) it would save me getting up every 90 minutes to select a new one for her. I could then sit back, and just click the next movie from the comfort of my couch Smile

It's actually a good idea, is possible with tech available today, but I do have to agree with the above sentiment, what's the point to create it if it's not go an make it in to a final build Sad
vertigo262 Wrote:I don't think I'm over thinking it Smile

actually, I think it's pretty innovative, and simple for the end user to do.
he just opens a client and it's all central, and on every device.
He doesn't need to be a tech genius

ಠ_ಠ

It would require a massive rewrite of XBMC to do this. The end user doesn't have to be a genius or do anything, just the people who make the program. You are asking for something that is not XBMC. We do not do the thin clients/server model. If you want that then use Plex, which still isn't what you exactly describe.

This is akin to saying "I have an idea for a magical device that projects a movie into your brain. He just opens it and doesn't have to be a tech genius".
PatrickBateman Wrote:@TechLife...
The question the OP asked is actually something I enquired about a while back as I too think it would be a useful idea. To be able to control my daughters xbmc from my lpatop or iPad etc would be invaluable to me.

I think if xbmc could stream its GUI via http or so to allow me to select a new movie for her (as she can't really use it as she's only 6) it would save me getting up every 90 minutes to select a new one for her. I could then sit back, and just click the next movie from the comfort of my couch Smile

It's actually a good idea, is possible with tech available today, but I do have to agree with the above sentiment, what's the point to create it if it's not go an make it in to a final build Sad

There's a ton of apps in the iOS App Store that do this. You can get XBMC remotes that let you select things and see what title is playing, or you can get a VNC and/or RDP client that will show you exactly what the computer shows. They're not useful for watching video because VNC or RDP isn't fast enough for smooth video, but it's enough to see that the video started and what it is.
Originally, in my mind,

it wasn't a thin client. it was more of. what was already out there.
the remote control apps, and the pre existing remote control web interface which already controls XBMC.

this is already built, but an extra addition, a stream to those remote apps.
this way, you download the xbmc remote control app on your device or pc, and play it, but it plays on the device or local computer instead of using the hdmi out.

It's just the idea progressed into more of a thin app idea.

The thin app type thing definitely is a ground up reprogramming like was said, although streaming to the remote apps, i don't think would be nearly a big deal.

But couldn't the remote apps have the same interface as the main xbmc that plays locally?

that way, it's not a thin client, does not load the interface remotely. It loads the same interface locally, calls to the central server for settings and info but lets you play the stream locally.

The app could be small and light as xbmc itself is less then 100 megs i think. And be more like a client server setup. One server, and client apps on all devices.

then, you are doing the same thing without a remote session and probably don't have to alter xbmc much.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Viewing Xbmc on a computer0