Video Artifacts on tv shows
Image[/img]is anyone else noticing any video artifacts or any other video problems with the tv episodes using the new scene standards of using MP4 instead of xvid

i have been playing the latest episode of blue bloods and notices that in scenes where they are walking or moving around a lot i get those artifacts when watching through xbmc

i am not sure if the issue is with every version of xbmc but i was using it through the openelec version

my graphics card is a Galaxy Nvidia GeForce 210 512mb card i had been running it with only VDPAU enable and the others turned off as i was told to for nvidia cards in linux

i have posted this problem to the openelec forums but in the meantime if anyone is noticing something similar i would like to know so i know it is not just me

i am about to install the xbmcbuntu live cd and see how that goes
according to your description the artifacts are not there in other players, or haven't you tested this yet? I'm asking because it sounds a bit like a bad encode with a too low value for "motion estimation".
Well I played a little bit in media player classic that I got in the k-lite codec pack on my windows PC and didn't notice any problem but honestly did not play much

Also since I posted this I have tried other episodes of a different show with the same mp4 encoding

And although it did not do it as much as the blue blood's episode it did do it a couple times throughout the episode

I then watched an episode using the old xvid encoding an no problem whatsoever which is what led me to believe it may be a codec issue

Edit: I have just played the episode on my other machine which uses an onboard radeon hd4250 and it has not had these problems its very weird it is now making me.believe it is.my graphics card maybe I should get a new one even though this card is only about 1 month old

Maybe this time I will go with a radeon card I think I saw a hd5450 for sale at my local PC store for about $34
hmm. Have you checked the cpu/gpu usage? (press O while watching). Maybe post a screenshot with the info-overlay enabled -then we can see the codec, if vdpau is used at all etc.
I had the same problem last week with an mp4 version. Huge artifacts

Tried with VLC - absolutely no problem there.

Radeon 3800

Tried it on no other machine
I actually just happened to experience this today with both The Cleveland Show and Family Guy - both in MP4. Every 3-4 second the images gets really badly distorted, and then redraws, making the episodes unwatchable.

Playing the same files in Media Player Classic with a FFDshow-build from february 2012 works flawlesly.

Just to make it perfectly clear - pretty much all other files on the XBMC machine play perfectly both in SD and HD.

FFY
i've got the same issue but then with MKV files (though also only relatively new files)

all the files work perfectly fine in media player classic, though if i re-encode them to mpeg4 files in a MP4 container the artifacts also happen with MPC.

i grabbed all the new family guy/american dad/simpsons and cleveland brown show's in 720 which are in an MKV container which all dont have this problem, i'll grab one of the new ones and see if they also have the problem.

edit : dont have them in the mp4's of family guy and the cleveland show ( LOL release) might be because of the k-lite mega codec pack 8.4.9 update?
I have this as well on the new TBBT (LOL) release, but only on my notebook (Ati 5145, UVD2, Catalyst 10.10). On my HTPC (Ati 6570, UVD3, Catalyst 11.10) there are no issues. But it's not XBMC only. I see this with MPC-HC with its internal decoders and also with Microsoft DTV decoder. Will see if I can hunt down an unofficial newer driver for my notebook.

Maybe these new encodes are not very hardware decode friendly? When I encoded our home videos I found reframes above 3 or 4 causes lots of artifacts with older Ati. Mediainfo tells the TBBT LOL encode uses 8 reframes.
Upgraded to 12.1 mobility radeon driver, all artifacts are gone. Do you guys run the latest video driver?
i'm currently running the latest 295.73 drivers from nvidia, but i've checked with hardware decoding on and off and it dsnt change a thing.

also the issue is only present in XBMC for most of us so i suspect this issue is because XBMC uses internal decoders instead of the one's installed via k-lite codec pack/CCCP which are most likely newer.
anub1s Wrote:XBMC uses internal decoders instead of the one's installed via k-lite codec pack/CCCP which are most likely newer.

this begs the question: do I get - with the other normal videos - worse image quality with XBMC than without it?
well XBMC is primarily a media center, and i've never noticed a quality difference after installing a new k-lite codec pack so i don't see how it would lower the quality.

though i do find it strange that XBMC only uses internal codec's that are updated whenever the dev's feel like it and there's no way to let it use external codec's which would solve issue's like this.

now we're kinda at the mercy of the developers to update the internal codec pack to get this fixed.
ive got this on some HD movies, seems to resume back to normal after a couple of seconds. quite annoying.

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
anub1s Wrote:well XBMC is primarily a media center, and i've never noticed a quality difference after installing a new k-lite codec pack so i don't see how it would lower the quality.

though i do find it strange that XBMC only uses internal codec's that are updated whenever the dev's feel like it and there's no way to let it use external codec's which would solve issue's like this.

now we're kinda at the mercy of the developers to update the internal codec pack to get this fixed.

1. Codecs don't just change that fast

2. This is not a software decoding issue, This is a hardware decoding issue. Turn off hardware decoding and (if your CPU can handle it) you won't see any issues. Updating the codecs within XBMC won't change anything when using hardware decoding. Complain to Nvidia and/or AMD.

3. Using codec packs is a relic of the past that very few media players use.
(2012-03-11, 09:59)Ned Scott Wrote:
anub1s Wrote:well XBMC is primarily a media center, and i've never noticed a quality difference after installing a new k-lite codec pack so i don't see how it would lower the quality.

1. Codecs don't just change that fast

2. This is not a software decoding issue, This is a hardware decoding issue. Turn off hardware decoding and (if your CPU can handle it) you won't see any issues. Updating the codecs within XBMC won't change anything when using hardware decoding. Complain to Nvidia and/or AMD.

3. Using codec packs is a relic of the past that very few media players use.

Have the same problem as well - all started when watching the latest releases of some TV shows using mp4.
Turning off hardware acceleration did help, but I have the latest graphic driver installed and the problem happen only in XBMC - can it be fixed in the next upgrade/fix?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Artifacts on tv shows0