XBMCbuntu - how good is it
Hi,

I have an Intel Mini-ITX - the D945GLCF (single core atom version 1a !).
It is really struggling.

I was thinking about installing XBMCbuntu on it. This is my kitchen PC used by my wife for surfing, chrome emailing and XBMC'ing.
Currently it is running W7 and running like a dog.

Will XBMCbuntu make things better ? Can I access Google Chrome from within it ?

Thanks.
Hi

I am new to both to XBMC and Linux and think it's pretty good.

You can try it out just by running it from CD. If you want you can then install it and yes it comes with Chrome.

Cheers

Alan
i found network worked in xbmc, but not in openbox.

I'm ok with terminal, but couldnt remember the location of the network config, so i gave up with openbox.

one thread suggested:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

which i found useful.

I think some kind of graphical config would be useful especially for those with wifi.
Quote:I think some kind of graphical config would be useful especially for those with wifi.

Login to the xbmcbuntu session instead of openbox
fishypops, XBMCbuntu is designed to run XBMC the best and leanest way possible, and that's it. your hardware is very weak and if the wife also wants a chrome-like web experience you'll have to do serious fiddling to at least get firefox running from within XBMC.
honestly, get some decent hardware and stay with win7 for this purpose.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:fishypops, XBMCbuntu is designed to run XBMC the best and leanest way possible, and that's it. your hardware is very weak and if the wife also wants a chrome-like web experience you'll have to do serious fiddling to at least get firefox running from within XBMC.
honestly, get some decent hardware and stay with win7 for this purpose.

Yep, probably good advice.
Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCbuntu - how good is it0