• 17(current)
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only
Just curious: what conditions need to be met to get AAC bitstream via SPDIF? I don't have a fancy AVR with HDMI but my home theater supports AAC via SPDIF, and I have never been able to get correct AAC bitstream on my HTPC with any software. Now in AE build I can select "AAC capable receiver" but it does nothing. AAC stereo tracks are decoded to PCM and 5.1 tracks are transcoded to DD (which is better than nothing).
(2012-04-26, 12:52)Hasu0bs Wrote: Hardware: 2Gb RAM, Intel Core2Duo 2x2,13 GHz NVidia integrated GF9300 Chip.

And: At least the DTS clip plays longer than it is. Just stays at the last picture and counts on...

Hi Hasu0bs,

I wanted to chime in and note that one of my machines is an Acer Revo 3610 with ION, which is essentially a GeForce 9400. It has always had this problem with DTSHD-MA and Dolby TrueHD. Your noted experience is identical to my own. After some reading, the ION/9400 does not handle DTSHD-MA, but will decode TrueHD into PCM. I'm nearly positive this relates to you, too.
I'll try the new build tonight, I also have a Revo, and a Yamaha RX-V3067. If someone could point me in the direction of a (short) clip with TrueHD I could test that as well.
(2012-04-26, 13:49)loekf Wrote: @Hasu0bs: which receiver do you have ?

Tonight, I'm definitely going to do some tests with my Onky TX-NR609, AMD Llano-based HTPC and a bunch of clips. I now also have MKVs with DTS MA.
I have The same Receiver. Thrilled to see, what your results are ;-)

(2012-04-26, 16:21)Salem Wrote: Hi Hasu0bs,

I wanted to chime in and note that one of my machines is an Acer Revo 3610 with ION, which is essentially a GeForce 9400. It has always had this problem with DTSHD-MA and Dolby TrueHD. Your noted experience is identical to my own. After some reading, the ION/9400 does not handle DTSHD-MA, but will decode TrueHD into PCM. I'm nearly positive this relates to you, too.
Yera, I was curious about it since i dont think the Hardware is too slow?!

(2012-04-26, 17:28)HeresJohnny Wrote: I'll try the new build tonight, I also have a Revo, and a Yamaha RX-V3067. If someone could point me in the direction of a (short) clip with TrueHD I could test that as well.
I used SFX (Long) (Lossless) and Catalyst (Lossless) from over here:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-d...ailers.php
Unfortunately I still get sound drops when playing DTSHD-MA with the new build (XBMC-AE-20120425.exe)
Fewer than before but still I still counted 3 in just over a minute (I let the debug run until I heard 3 drops)

Running win 7 64bit
nvidia GT430
Onkyo TX-NR609

debug : http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=1933
One thing I've noticed in the new build under Audio Settings there's something called "Stereo Upmix"... what does that mean? Does it upmix from mono to stereo? Or from stereo to surround?
For anyone experiencing the DTS-MA bug - another potential cause found and fixed in this build >>DTS-MA test<<

Note that for those not experiencing this there are no new features or fixes to that build, this is specifically for testing by those who's receivers cannot lock on the DTS-MA stream.

For anyone unsure of whether their hardware supports DTS-MA or DD TrueHD: one of the new featues is code to enumerate all your system audio devices' capabilities. They will appear in your log if you have <loglevel>1</loglevel> in your advancedsettings.xml file at start-up. Here is an example from one of my logs:

Device Enumeration log sample

As you can see, we query your machine for each device, it's connection type and name, and supported channels, formats and sample rates. This will indicated whether your machine supports: DTS-MA (AE_FMT_DTSHD), TrueHD (AE_FMT_TRUEHD) and multichannel LPCM (AE_FMT_LPCM).

As a rule, for bitstream support you must choose a device with WASAPI: in front of the name, not DirectSound:, and you must have exclusive mode enabled.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-04-26, 16:18)Roman_V_M Wrote: Just curious: what conditions need to be met to get AAC bitstream via SPDIF? I don't have a fancy AVR with HDMI but my home theater supports AAC via SPDIF, and I have never been able to get correct AAC bitstream on my HTPC with any software. Now in AE build I can select "AAC capable receiver" but it does nothing. AAC stereo tracks are decoded to PCM and 5.1 tracks are transcoded to DD (which is better than nothing).

AAC isn't "officially" supported yet, despite the setting, but it will play on receivers that are 100% AAC-capable. I am able to play 5.1 AAC fine over HDMI to a Denon 3808, where it is internally transcoded to AC3 by the amp.

(2012-04-26, 21:01)HeresJohnny Wrote: One thing I've noticed in the new build under Audio Settings there's something called "Stereo Upmix"... what does that mean? Does it upmix from mono to stereo? Or from stereo to surround?

Stereo upmix (previously called All Channel Stereo among other things in XBMC's dark past lol) basically just upmixes any 2-channel non-passthrough source to all the channels selected in your Audio Options settings, e.g. 5.1, 7.1. This will apply to mp3s, 2ch flac, etc.

System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Damian, you did it! My amp can now lock the dts-master signal!

But: The playback pauses after a couple of seconds because of buffering. After it has loaded for a while, playback continues for a couple of seconds till the next buffering.

Buffering occurs even with locally stored files.

I hope you can fix this issue as well.

Good work, thanks a lot.

Chris
unRAID Server, Pioneer VSX-LX52, Panasonic 65VT30, Marusys VU+ Duo, Zotac AD10
Alright!! Now for this buffering issue can I please get a log. And does it actually show on the screen that it's buffering?
... yes, it actually shows on the screen that it is buffering. Playback switches to 'pause' while buffering and the status bar pops up.

I'll send you a log tomorrow. Too tired now. Bedtime.

Chris
unRAID Server, Pioneer VSX-LX52, Panasonic 65VT30, Marusys VU+ Duo, Zotac AD10
RoflI FINALLY FIXED ITRofl with Anassi's help that is Smile.

buffering issue is a concern, so yeah, a log would be great for that one Smile
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
Ok, my $0.02:

I tried a lot of MKVs in my movie collection.

- Dolby TrueHD: ok
- AC3/DD: ok
- DTS: ok. I noticed one movie, where audio disappears at the beginning for perhaps 1 sec after you start playback. So when you
hit play, you see the receiver lock on to the DTS stream, you hear audio, then there's a small drop, but then audio returns. Receiver
stays in lock all the time. Maybe it's the movie. Also saw one case where the screen is blank (black) for one sec after 10 secs, audio plays fine. Maybe
it's stream related (was a HDTV "rip"). The difficult streams from last time, the Matrix, the Harry Potter one plays ok.
- DTS-ES. I found one movie, Star Wars Ep1, with DTS-ES, where the video is choppy. Audio is ok, but video is choppy. As far I can
remember this one played fine with the previous build I tested. The other 5 (Ep2 - Ep6) play ok, they also have DTS-ES tracks.
- DTS-HD MA: ok

Also tried some TV shows:

- AVI with AC3: ok
- MP4 with AAC: ok

I have the option adjust display refresh rate to match video always enabled.

This is on my Llano A6 3650 HTPC with Catalyst 12.3 (latest) installed. WASAPI + AMD HDMI selected as device for both audio output and
passthrough (saw there's a seperate option... why ?).

I will put the Ep1 MKV into my public Dropbox folder:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9177341/Star%20W...DTS-ES.mkv

Uploading now..... 30 mins left
HTPC: MS-Tech MC-1200 | Asus F2A85-M | AMD A10-6700 | OCZ Agility3 120GB | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3| LiteOn iHOS104 BDR | Win10 x64 | Kodi 15.2
Home AV: Philips 42PFL5038 | Sony BDPS6500 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | Sony PS4 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Sonos audio | Apple TV Gen 4 | Nvidia Shield Android TV | 5.1 speakers (TMA, Klipsch)
There's one more thing I've noticed with DDDamian's latest build, but it was probably there before. It's very subtle, yet strange: On my Nvidia ION platform, there are actually 2 WASAPI output devices (I've copied the exact names with spaces):
Audio Output Device:
WASAPI: NVIDIA HDMI OUT (NVIDIA High Definition Audio), HDMI - NVIDIA HDMI OUT (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Passthrough Output Device
WASAPI:HDMI - NVIDIA HDMI OUT (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

Note the missing space for the Passthrough Output Device.
@HeresJohnny - those are nothing to worry about, will fix. Also, per your post in other thread, we'll consider adding a tag to not resample 44.1->48khz over spdif

@loekf - will test the sample - glad the other two play now - was an issue with parsing the DTS in that particular format. By and large though sounds pretty good Smile

@gnif - woot! Anssi the martian strikes again.

• 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only3