• 2(current)
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only
@liquidskin - thanks! I'm trying to help gnif out code-wise (especially Windows side, but core where required) and also trying to condense/analyse some of the feedback and suggestions for him so he can stay focused on core issues. Feedback here goes directly to gnif and the team via our internal forums and IRC channel.

PIH - thanks - notes made. The audio drop-outs have been the biggest issue and I believe we have a fix being tested now. As soon as it seems a sure thing I'll post a note here and upload a new build. Also made note of the multi-channel LPCM setting bug to check it out.

Great work so far guys - the more we can find the better for the merge timeline!
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Hi all - I have posted a new build to GitHub - use link on first post and look for newest date of XBMC-AE-20120306.zip

Changes:
- merge with Eden RC2 so library is compatible
- included test fix for audio drop-outs
- fix support for stereo up-mix to all channels

Happy testing Wink
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
DDDamian Wrote:Hi all - I have posted a new build to GitHub - use link on first post and look for newest date of XBMC-AE-20120306.zip

Changes:
- merge with Eden RC2 so library is compatible
- included test fix for audio drop-outs
- fix support for stereo up-mix to all channels

Happy testing Wink

Excellent! Big Grin Will test tonight and report back.

Cheers Wink
Uninstalled and installed the new version.
Played some media, but this version behaved similar to the old version and there were dropouts when playing DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD.
The logfile is from playing Dolby True HD.
http://pastebin.com/te9LfpmF

The speaker settings should be 5.1, but I changed to see if 7.1 was better, but there was no difference.
The dropouts are about the timestamp 20:27.
P-I H Wrote:Uninstalled and installed the new version.
Played some media, but this version behaved similar to the old version and there were dropouts when playing DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD.
The logfile is from playing Dolby True HD.
http://pastebin.com/te9LfpmF

The speaker settings should be 5.1, but I changed to see if 7.1 was better, but there was no difference.
The dropouts are about the timestamp 20:27.

Hi P-I H, couple of questions:

1) is your M drive a local HDD, a USB drive or a network share?

2) do you have "Sync playback to display" enabled? If so, disable it.

Always try capture the full log - debugging should be on from start to finish. If necessary start XBMC, enable debugging, exit (with it enabled), then start XBMC and reproduce the error. Thanks for your test Smile
P-I H Wrote:Made some more testing and if
<multichannellpcm>true</multichannellpcm>
is set to false on my configuration xbmc will crash.

I believe this is only when <allchannelstereo> is enabled in advancedsettings.xml - your receiver must be able to accept multichannel signals to output to more than 2.0.

I'll add some methods to make sure disabling it in the settings overrides <allchannelstereo> so there's no crash and maybe add a pop-up to warn user.
Hey dddamian,

Tested new version. Again couldn't get it to misbehave in debug. It works perfectly then! Not sure why?

Anyway, with debugging off, i get similar results as before...

TrueHD... either hang or no audio after seek
http://pastebin.com/YQDDh163

DTS-HD... either hang or no audio after seek
http://pastebin.com/pYjxrGSn

Getting the error 'CAESinkWASAPI::InitializeExclusive: IsFormatSupported failed' for both.

Also, when it seeks ok (like with debugging on), audio is still slightly delayed in starting after a seek, so vid plays without any audio for a few seconds.

'Sync to Display' and 'Adjust Display Refresh Rate' are both off for all tests. Happens on both full screen window and true full screen.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
liquidskin76 Wrote:Anyway, with debugging off, i get similar results as before...

Dammit! That's an awesome bug - turns itself off as soon as you turn debugging on lol. That said, at least that's a clue. Thx again liquidskin - gonna track that sucker down!
Thanks for your effort, been trying it out before, and it seems that there is a problem with some 24bit FLAC files with high sample rates and the audiophile setting as these don't play correctly on my system. I tried Beck's Sea Change SACD rip (88.1kHz) and Justice's Audio Video Disco (96kHz), Radiohead's TKOL 48kHz Blu-ray converted FLACs play fine (and in 5.1) though. Hope the log helps!

http://pastebin.com/PJDu0AZd
@liquidskin - Bingo! found bug with skip/seek - will be fixed in next upload. Awesome brother - good catch.

@JK - looks like we introduced a new bug - that was all working perfectly Laugh I see from the log it defaulted to stereo for the multichannel 88khz Beck - Sea Change FLAC (great pic - i have that too in SACD and FLAC). Will be fixed in next upload.

Thanks both of you - this kind of thing will get it mainstream and stable sooner. Good job.
DDDamian Wrote:@liquidskin - Bingo! found bug with skip/seek - will be fixed in next upload. Awesome brother - good catch.

Excellent, well done. Looking forward to it. Wink

Any ideas on the delay on audio returning after seeking, where vid plays for a few seconds without audio?

On builds like DanielaE's hd audio, plus external players using filters like LAV audio and ffdshow audio... i believe there is a slight delay in audio returning as well, however not as long as the Windows build of AE (not sure if ae on other os's have the problem?).

I'm sure i tested a gnif build a while ago and bitstreamed truehd hd audio played instantly after a seek. I can remember think 'great!'.

Standard DD, DTS, and flac don't suffer from this problem. It's only TrueHD and DTS-HD.

It might be that your fix will sort or improve. I'll let you now.

Cheers
liquidskin76 Wrote:Any ideas on the delay on audio returning after seeking, where vid plays for a few seconds without audio?

That's been found as well, basically same issue as the seek bug. All players will exhibit some pause as the a/v streams are re-synced and buffers cleared, and often as the receiver locks onto track again, but the excessive delay was caused by that skip bug you found Smile
@JK - did some checking and I guess I assumed from your log and my copy of Beck - Sea Change that this was a multichannel FLAC and was being decoded as stereo which would have been a huge bug lol.

But that may not be the case. Can you describe exactly what is wrong/happening when you play those files? And just to rule it out are they multichannel or stereo?

With that same build and <audiophile> enabled all my hi-def stuff is playing back correctly.
I have done some more testing today and made a lot of changes
- changed audio settings in Vista
- changed quality settings in Catalyst
- changed video and audio settings in XBMC
- copied Pink HD from my NAS to the local HDD
However I still has dropouts and there was no difference if I played from the local HDD or the NAS.
Answeres to the specific questions
- All my media is on a NAS that sits on a gigabit network
- Sync playback to display is disabled

I have no advanced settings.xml, only the guisettings.xml
Is that OK?
@P-I H, that confirms a lot thanks. Rules out some obvious things, and this has been the main bug for a while now.

For anyone seeing the audio-dropouts: we're trying to confirm if these happen only with DTS-MA/TrueHD or all audio codecs during movie playback, just to narrow it down. It's a tough bug as it's intermittent and I for one don't get it on a fast machine. Likewise gnif has a very powerful machine, so we may be missing these and that makes it harder to capture.

If you do notice it on non-HD formats pls let us know Nod
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] AudioEngine testers - Windows platform only3