[LIVE] fix xbmc-live's upstart script
Greetings,

First of all I would like to thank the whole XBMC community for this awesome project that I have been using for a few years now, and for all the help that I have found in the forums.

I have always used the Live flavour of XBMC because I want my media center box to autostart XBMC as not everyone at home would feel comfortable using the command line.

I have found the upstart script provided with XBMC-Live never to work for my installation, so I wanted to report my findings here. I am no upstart expert but hopefully this may help other, and/or lead to the script being fixed.

Hardware: Zotac ZBOXHD-ID11 (http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop...70&lang=en)
Linux Distribution and Version: Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
Architecture: i686
Install Method: Live (PPA)

1. Revision: 2:10.1~ppa1~lucid (ppa:team-xbmc/ppa)
    For XBMC Dharma, I had to comment 3 lines in order to have the script work:
    Code:
    91,93c91,93
    < #    if ! grep -i -q autostart /tmp/xbmcliveParams ; then
    < #        exit
    < #    fi
    ---
    >     if ! grep -i -q autostart /tmp/xbmcliveParams ; then
    >         exit
    >     fi
  2. Revision: 2:11.0~git20120229.f38655f-0ubuntu1~ppa1~lucid (ppa:team-xbmc/unstable)
    For XBMC Eden, I had to add the actual exec line which was missing, and change the start events back to the conditions of the script from my Dharma installation:
    Code:
    27c27
    < start on (filesystem and stopped udevtrigger)
    ---
    > start on starting uxlaunch
    31,32d30
    < emits starting-x
    <
    80,81d77
    <
    <     exec /usr/bin/runXBMC
It has been frustrating each time that XBMC Live would not work out of the box, and I hope that this gets fixed in later releases. Please do not hesitate to let me know would you need any further detail. I think that the upstart script for Eden missing the actual exec line should/could definitely be fixed before the final release.

Also, for those like me who want their box to be running XBMC all the time, adding "respawn" in the upstart script will let XBMC restart would it be stopped (I found this especially useful as I want to prevent a user exiting XBMC and finding him/herself with a tty prompt - this could be an option within XBMC by the way).

All the best,
François

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] fix xbmc-live's upstart script1