• 153(current)
Release Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration)
(2019-10-27, 01:08)Karellen Wrote: Hello @pkscout

I haven't listened to music in Kodi for a while, but had occasion to last night. I am using v18.4 with AeonNox Silvo v7.0.8 by @mikeSiLVO and Artist Slideshow v2.1.4

I noticed that for every artist we listened to, Artist Slideshow would (attempt to) download artwork and create new folders titled "extrafanart" and "information". Most of these folders were empty. My queries...
1. It seems to be ignoring local artwork
2. It duplicates already available local artwork
3. It does not use the new method of saving extrafanart eg fanart1, fanart2 etc

Any idea why this is happening. Do I have a wrong setting enabled/disabled somewhere? I then disabled all references to external sites in the settings page for the addon, but it continues to create these empty folders. I have since disabled the add-on. Needless to say there was a bit of cleaning up to do.

Judging by the log, it is searching for the \extrafanart\ folder which I don't use, so it does not find any of my extrafanart.

Another issue I noticed, and probably more of a Kodi issue, is after I Disabled the add-on, it merrily continued to download artwork. Disabling required a restart of Kodi.

Let me know if you need anything else.

AS does look for artwork in the extrafanart folder (and has since before I started maintaining it). That seemed to be the unofficial standard for a long time before Kodi 18 shipped so I left it to maintain compatibility with other addons that download artwork.

Updating AS for the new artwork structure has ended up not being trivial (mostly because I'm going to have to have a routine to move and rename every piece of existing artwork AS has downloaded), and I've been waiting to make sure the new artwork structure stabilized, so it's going to be awhile.  Honestly every time I read up on the new structure it seems overly complicated and requires lots of manual work to get it activated, so my motivation to do the major rewrite wanes.  But I'll see if I can't get myself excited about it and do the updates.  I'll also include updates so those folders aren't created if all the download options are turned off.  That isn't a use case I thought about before.
There is a bug in your branch 'new-version'

Line 73 - if self.LOGDEBUG or (loglevel != xmbc.DEBUG and loglevel != xbmc.INFO):

Also I got errors regarding kodi-six with regard to xbmc.LOGDEBUG.  I fixed that by importing xbmc instead of from kodi_six import xbmc.  Can't remember what the exact error was but I can probably reproduce it by turning debug logging on and off in the addon.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2019-10-27, 19:09)pkscout Wrote: I'll also include updates so those folders aren't created if all the download options are turned off.  That isn't a use case I thought about before.

Thanks a lot. It will save me time to delete empty redundant folders. It will also speed up browsing when searching for a specific artist.
Windows 11 Pro
Kodi 21 RC2 - Aeon MQ7/MQ9 Omega Mod
Kodi 20.5 - Aeon MQ9 Nexus Mod

Android - Beelink GT King
Kodi Maven Fork 21 RC2 - Aeon MQ9 Omega Mod

CoreELEC - Beelink GT King

(2019-10-27, 19:09)pkscout Wrote: AS does look for artwork in the extrafanart folder (and has since before I started maintaining it). That seemed to be the unofficial standard for a long time before Kodi 18 shipped so I left it to maintain compatibility with other addons that download artwork.

Updating AS for the new artwork structure has ended up not being trivial (mostly because I'm going to have to have a routine to move and rename every piece of existing artwork AS has downloaded), and I've been waiting to make sure the new artwork structure stabilized, so it's going to be awhile.  Honestly every time I read up on the new structure it seems overly complicated and requires lots of manual work to get it activated, so my motivation to do the major rewrite wanes.  But I'll see if I can't get myself excited about it and do the updates.  I'll also include updates so those folders aren't created if all the download options are turned off.  That isn't a use case I thought about before.
Ok, thanks for the explanation and understand the extra work involved. Smile
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-10-27, 22:20)Karellen Wrote: Ok, thanks for the explanation and understand the extra work involved. Smile 

No worries.  It kind of comes with the territory when you maintain an addon.  Not, you know, the amount of work it takes to maintain Kodi, but still...  Wink  The good news is you finally guilted me into looking at it again, and I have some test code that isn't crashing (for me at least) on github (in the next-version branch) that uses the new Kodi music artwork location. I haven't written the conversion routine yet, but it's a start.
(2019-10-27, 19:40)black_eagle Wrote: There is a bug in your branch 'new-version'

Line 73 - if self.LOGDEBUG or (loglevel != xmbc.DEBUG and loglevel != xbmc.INFO):

Also I got errors regarding kodi-six with regard to xbmc.LOGDEBUG.  I fixed that by importing xbmc instead of from kodi_six import xbmc.  Can't remember what the exact error was but I can probably reproduce it by turning debug logging on and off in the addon.
A debug log would be helpful, as I run my development environment in debug mode basically constantly and haven't ever seen a crash because of the logging.  If using the "standard" xbmc import works, I'll forward it on the kodi-six developer.  I need to use kodi-six to get Python 2/3 compatibility in preparation for Kodi Matrix, so we need to get it figured out if the issue is in kodi-six.
I downloaded a zip of your 'new-version' branch and over-wrote the original files with it.

1st python error.

python:
ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <class 'NameError'>
                                            Error Contents: name 'xmbc' is not defined
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/xbmc/build/kodi-19/kodi-build/portable_data/addons/script.artistslideshow/default.py", line 79, in <module>
                                                lw.log( ['loaded plugin ' + module] )
                                              File "/home/xbmc/build/kodi-19/kodi-build/portable_data/addons/script.artistslideshow/resources/common/xlogger.py", line 53, in log
                                                self._output( str_line, loglevel )
                                              File "/home/xbmc/build/kodi-19/kodi-build/portable_data/addons/script.artistslideshow/resources/common/xlogger.py", line 60, in _output
                                                self._output_xbmc( line, loglevel )
                                              File "/home/xbmc/build/kodi-19/kodi-build/portable_data/addons/script.artistslideshow/resources/common/xlogger.py", line 73, in _output_xbmc
                                                if self.LOGDEBUG or (loglevel != xmbc.DEBUG and loglevel != xbmc.INFO):
                                            NameError: name 'xmbc' is not defined
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

Easy enough to fix that as it's just a typo.  However, when I changed it to if self.LOGDEBUG or (loglevel != xbmc.DEBUG and loglevel != xbmc.INFO): and restarted the slideshow, it threw this error.

python:
2019-10-28 20:52:40.446 T:18739   DEBUG: CAddonSettings[script.artistslideshow]: loading setting values
2019-10-28 20:52:40.447 T:18739   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <class 'AttributeError'>
                                            Error Contents: module 'kodi_six.xbmc' has no attribute 'DEBUG'
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/xbmc/build/kodi-19/kodi-build/portable_data/addons/script.artistslideshow/default.py", line 79, in <module>
                                                lw.log( ['loaded plugin ' + module] )
                                              File "/home/xbmc/build/kodi-19/kodi-build/portable_data/addons/script.artistslideshow/resources/common/xlogger.py", line 53, in log
                                                self._output( str_line, loglevel )
                                              File "/home/xbmc/build/kodi-19/kodi-build/portable_data/addons/script.artistslideshow/resources/common/xlogger.py", line 60, in _output
                                                self._output_xbmc( line, loglevel )
                                              File "/home/xbmc/build/kodi-19/kodi-build/portable_data/addons/script.artistslideshow/resources/common/xlogger.py", line 73, in _output_xbmc
                                                if self.LOGDEBUG or (loglevel != xbmc.DEBUG and loglevel != xbmc.INFO):
                                            AttributeError: module 'kodi_six.xbmc' has no attribute 'DEBUG'
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

Full log https://paste.kodi.tv/homuvazone.kodi ( line 1919)
Learning Linux the hard way !!
@black_eagle thanks for that.  I have no idea when I changed that line in the new version, as the current version has the correct line.  And apparently if you have debug logging turned on in the addon the bad part of that line was never evaluated, so no crash.  Anyway, I've uploaded an update to the new-version branch with the fix.  There's also some new logic to delete empty artist information and artist image folders, just FYI.  The issue was that I had the wrong constant name.  Line 73 should read:

python:
if self.LOGDEBUG or (loglevel != xbmc.LOGDEBUG and loglevel != xbmc.LOGINFO):
(2013-12-06, 19:03)cw-kid Wrote:
(2013-12-06, 16:32)devilshura Wrote: For Various Artists that has tag "Various Artists" in artist-name.I make local-artist folder for it, and point for not found/no tag-artist with fallback.
e.g.

Various Artists folder in local artist folder
Show In music visualization

And for fallback images folder

Hi Devilshura

Fancy sharing your music fallback images with us? They look quite good!

I can see what you have done and I think why it works for you is because your main music path is D:\Music_Artist\ which is a local drive.

And I think I am correct in saying - so when you play an album tagged with artist-name = "Various Artists" Artist SlideShow will display the images in the various artists\extrafanart folder on your D:\ drive. And if it can't find an image to display either remote or local for a particular artist, it will then display the images in your fallback folder instead.

This doesn't work the same for me, because my main music path is a network path SMB://WHS/Music. So Artist SlideShow will only display Remote images and not "Local" ones. Maybe I need to figure out how to add a mount point in Linux / OpenElec somehow ?

I do however have the same Various Artists folder on my file server, but Artist SlideShow won't use it currently.

This is why I asked if Artist SlideShow could instead display the "Various Artists" fanart images from Fanart.tv (Remote) when I play an album and the artist-name is tagged as "Various Artists" 
Hi.. 

Just chiming in here but I use SQL to host music on two different PI's and I had some issues with programs being unable to locate things fast enough using SMB://(name)/path so I pointed every to SMB://(ipAddress)/path in kodi and this stopped a lot of reverse look ups for name to ip.    Just a thought.
My collection has over 2000 artists in it and Artwork has taken months to get found and corrected.. 
  I do like this fallback trick will be checking this out as soon as I find out why my slide show has found some random artists to lock on to for Various Artists..Which happenes to be Dolly Pardon..LOL

James
@pkscout thank you for adding new Kodi music artwork location to artist slideshow. Only problem i've found, is that now it picks up all images from artist folder (clearlogo, thumb, folder, clearart, landscape). Can you exclude those other artwork types, so that only fanart-fanartxx would be fetched to slideshow.
(2019-10-31, 22:48)Asiapentti Wrote: @pkscout thank you for adding new Kodi music artwork location to artist slideshow. Only problem i've found, is that now it picks up all images from artist folder (clearlogo, thumb, folder, clearart, landscape). Can you exclude those other artwork types, so that only fanart-fanartxx would be fetched to slideshow.

$!#&

That is going to introduce another entire set of complexities.  Artist Slideshow tells the skin where a *folder* of images is, not individual files.  So the only way to work around that is to copy all the fanartxxx images to another folder temporarily and then point to that.  Or, even worse, temporarily move all the non fanart images somewhere else while that folder is played.  I'm going to have to think about this, but right now I'm leaning towards not supporting the Kodi music artwork location.  It was never designed with addons like AS in mind and I feel like I'm constantly kludging stuff to get it to work.  Maybe someday if Kodi let's a skin display a list of images rather than a folder.
Maybe @DaveBlake has some suggestions?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I think you could do a resolution check?
If the picture is smaller than 1080, don't use it
(2019-11-01, 23:39)meowmoo Wrote: I think you could do a resolution check?
If the picture is smaller than 1080, don't use it

The problem isn't figuring out which images to use. That is easy. The problem is that AS has to give the skin a FOLDER reference of images to show, and the skin will then show EVERY IMAGE in that folder.  So yes, I can figure out which images are fanart, but then they have to be copied to another folder, potentially over the network.  And if the song has multiple artists I have to put all the images from multiple artists in one folder, and rename then all (because Fanart1 will be a duplicate name). Oh and the folder name probably has to be unique to avoid caching problems.  And no image can show until that's all done, so there will be a delay if there's an artist with lots of images.  And then at the end everything has to be cleaned up.

It's possible, sure.  What I'm trying to figure out is if it's worth the time to support a feature that is fundamentally not compatible with the way AS has worked for, well, ever.
(2019-11-01, 03:54)pkscout Wrote: I'm going to have to think about this, but right now I'm leaning towards not supporting the Kodi music artwork location.  It was never designed with addons like AS in mind and I feel like I'm constantly kludging stuff to get it to work.
It is true, the new handling of artist artwork in v18 onwards didn't consider the Artist Slideshow at all, or any other addon come to that. I only use one addon myself (the Audio Profile switcher), so am totally oblivious to addon needs unless authors talk to me. I write about the design changes I'm making in the music support subforum, and welcome input, I don't see how else I can be more open and communicative.

(2019-11-01, 03:54)pkscout Wrote: Maybe someday if Kodi let's a skin display a list of images rather than a folder.
I like the idea of adding a new image control that allows for a "family" of art types e.gf fanart1, fanart2... but have to admit that the GUI engine is a steep learning curve of old code and no one about to give hints, so I may never get to create such a thing let alone for v19.

So meanwhile is there some other more simple core change that could help?
  • 153(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration)5