[Musicl Library]Help me with the terminology.
Am I wrong in believing that the term "Album Artist" refers to the Artist that the album is attributed to, and that the separate term "Artist" is referring to the Artist(s) that are heard on a specific track?

If so is it possible to have XBMC show only Album Artists in the Artist category of the music library?

If I am wrong, and have subsequently mistagged my library, can someone recommend any Windows application which can automatically switch the Album & Album Artist tags in all of my files?
Yes, Album Artist refers to the artist the album is attributed to.

No, it's not possible to show only album artists in the artist category. However, you can filter out compilation-only artists (there's a setting in Music->Library for that) which is a reasonable approximation of what you're after.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Yes, Album Artist refers to the artist the album is attributed to.

No, it's not possible to show only album artists in the artist category. However, you can filter out compilation-only artists (there's a setting in Music->Library for that) which is a reasonable approximation of what you're after.
That is a pain as on some albums, the Artist tag also mentions when a guest artist appears on a track.
The album artist setting (have you tried it) only shows artists linked to an album.

Artists tied to an album only if they're determined by XBMC to be an album artist. This could be just the artist tag in the songs if there is no album artist specified (and if a bunch of other criteria don't discover a primary album artist). If album artist is set or found using the heuristics, then that's what is used.

See the wiki for a summary of how XBMC determines album artists.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Musicl Library]Help me with the terminology.0