[XBMCbuntu] New Kernel won't boot
Hi folks!

I was using ubuntu server + xbmc for a long time, but since my harddisk died today i tried out installing xbmcbuntu Eden RC2 on a sdcard!

Everything was working fine, until i did an apt-get dist-upgrade and installed a new kernel 3.0.0-16.
I can't geht the system working with this kernel. 3.0.0-15 just works fine, but when i want to boot with the newer kernel, it goes straight to busybox initramfs.

Now, normally there are some error messages, like "cant find device xyz" but i don't get anything, dmesg looks fine, etc
I tried reinstalling the kernel, update-initramfs and so on, but nothing is working..

well..any help or hint would be appreciated..
try to boot into 3.0.0-15 kernel and issue the command:

Code:
$ sudo apt-get -f install

to see if there are broken dependencies, then

Code:
$ sudo update-grub

to update the grub files and then try to boot into the 3.0.0-16 kernel. Maybe here you could find some suggestions http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubunt...d-bug.html
thx for your fast answer!

there are no broken dependencies..

I already had found the site you mentioned (and many others), but the hints don't work... i also don't get a error message like "Gave up waiting for root device"

grub.cfg and initrd images also look fine to me
at this point (and sorry for the question that can harm our geek soul Big Grin), but what are the advantages introduced with kernel 3.0.0-16 that with 3.0.0-15 you haven't? If nothing, stay with 3.0.0-15 and wait for 3.2 Big Grin
Well..there's nothing wrong with staying at 3.0.0-15, but i fear, that with any upgrade that triggers dkms or update-initramfs i could loose the ability to boot in -15 too..

i also tried installing newer nvidia drivers (because it was stated somewhere related to this problem), which triggerd dkms (or something different) and then i couldn't boot into -15 too..

luckily for me i had made a backup with dd just before this.. Big Grin
Avathar Wrote:luckily for me i had made a backup with dd just before this.. Big Grin
You are a wise man Laugh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMCbuntu] New Kernel won't boot0