Can add-ons set breadcrumbs?
I've searched around and I can't find an answer to this: is it possible for addons to set breadcrumbs?

For example, in my iPhoto plugin, if the user is in Events, I want the breadcrumbs up top to display:

Home > Pictures > Events

If they navigate to a specific event called "Foo", it should be:

Home > Pictures > Events > Foo

Is this just not possible, or am I missing something?

-j
Nope, the add-on cannot set that - it's defined by the skin (usually on the basis of content set). Something else for the future (turn the directory history into suitable infolabels for controls - probably needs a dedicated breadcrumb control).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ok, at least I'm not just missing something lol. The documentation for this stuff is so spread out that I'm often left wondering if I've just missed something obvious..

-j
Just a +1 on this - would be super handy in any plugin with some depth to it....even if we could just set the label in a simple sense, but definig a depth hierachy would be handy...

Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Sorry to necropost, but it seemed like a good time to bring this back to light. It's many years later, but this is still relevant. With the expansion of infolabels and skin overhauls that have been happening lately thanks to @phil65 and others, this would be super nice. In my case, I have TV Shows / Nakamori / Tags / Comedy / Sgt Frog / Season 1 for example. Because that is so long, I would probably need to trim it, or the infolabel would need to take a list starting after the plugin, so
python:
infolabels = { 'breadcrumbs' : [ 'Tags', 'Comedy', 'Sgt Frog', 'Season 1' ] }
Then it would be up to the skinner to decide how that is displayed, whether TV Shows / Nakamori / .. / Sgt Frog / Season 1, a scrolling effect of some kind, or whatever. Kodi usually doesn't make decisions like how something should look, and I don't have a graphics or UI design background.

An interesting thing, because we are dealing with breadcrumbs, is we could make it allow InfoLabels as parameters. Season 1 and Sgt Frog are obviously things that would be in InfoLabels. Skins often have custom ways to display such things, and custom coloring, shortening, etc would be available by knowing what the tag is.
python:
infolabels = { 'breadcrumbs' : [ 'Tags', 'Comedy', '$INFO(ListItem.TvShowTitle)', '$INFO(ListItem.Season)' ] }
could be one way to define it. Because the skinning system lacks a nice way to handle complex logic trees, the true issue with the above is determining how a skin might access that info and apply special formatting. I'm not an advanced skinner, so I don't know if it even has a nice way to feed a list or modified list for the /../ format, either.

Well, that's some food for thought, at least.
Before, I was using a combination of hacky methods like xbmcplugin.setPluginCategory() and Window.setHeading() to achieve something similar. I naturally ran into the issue with the back and home button not reverting such a change if the window is cached.
Developer for Shoko and Nakamori. Long time user of Kodi, before it was even called Kodi. My XBOX died long ago, but Windows is still just as broken and necessary. I obviously watch anime, given my first comment. Video games, manga, music, you name it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can add-ons set breadcrumbs?0