XBMC 11 rc2 on my asrock 330 ion
Just installed xbmc eden beta3 on a usb stick and tried it on my asrock 330 ion.

Startup time before I was in xbmc gui was like 7-10min. Blank screen in 5min before xbmc was loading...

In xbmc gui, navigation was unusable. Hugh delay when tabing around.

The screen was cropped although fullscreen and high res is enabled in system settings.

Any other who has experienced this kind of problem?

The same usb stick with the xbmc beta installation works flawless on my other two laptops with intel hardware...
beta3 installed to HD works fine on 330 HT. Is the installation on the USB live or installed to the USB as a HD?

There is a bug in GRUB2 that hangs the boot for a number of minutes when multiple disks are available looks like you have hit that, It has nothing to do with any lag in the GUI.
(BTW way, this bug have been around for a couple years and does not seem to bother any ubuntu developers, makes me lose faith)
EDIT: double post.
vikjon0 Wrote:beta3 installed to HD works fine on 330 HT. Is the installation on the USB live or installed to the USB as a HD?

There is a bug in GRUB2 that hangs the boot for a number of minutes when multiple disks are available looks like you have hit that, It has nothing to do with any lag in the GUI.
(BTW way, this bug have been around for a couple years and does not seem to bother any ubuntu developers, makes me lose faith)

Yes. GRUB2 finds my internal drive with w7 installed but it hangs the boot after GRUB.

Installed to the USB as a HD.
Quote:Installed to the USB as a HD.
Then it is not a live installation and I assume will not load the correct drivers when switched between machines.

Quote:Yes. GRUB2 finds my internal drive with w7 installed but it hangs the boot after GRUB.
Yes, it does. It is a bug in grub. At the time when I investigated no fix but downgrade existed.

EDIT: Of course it works fine if you use the GRUB on the HD instead...or remove the UD. Perhaps also if you use a real live installation.
vikjon0 Wrote:Then it is not a live installation and I assume will not load the correct drivers when switched between machines.

Yes, it does. It is a bug in grub. At the time when I investigated no fix but downgrade existed.

EDIT: Of course it works fine if you use the GRUB on the HD instead...or remove the UD. Perhaps also if you use a real live installation.

How should I install it as live?

This is the correct iso if I want to use beta - http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbuntu/ ?
If I use the eden 3 beta iso I have to choose "try ubuntu" at every boot?
I dont know. Does it not timeout? Please remember that this is only a beta, perhaps it will be improved in final version.
(perhaps is it possible to tweak in the grug.cfg file in the cd root)
I installed Beta3 on my Asrock ION 330 boxes with no issues at all. Did the install rather than running as LIVE, and installed to my sole internal SSD drive. Boot time is pretty fast but I didn't time it since i leave my XBMC machines running 24/7. Didn't have to really do any video/audio tweaking - worked great right out of the box. I subsequently used apt-get to upgrade to RC1 and RC2 and everything's working great.
Ok. I still want w7 on my internal drive for some reasons. Smile

I used lili to put the content of eden beta 3 iso on the usb.
I'll check if I can tweak something, or else I have to wait for the final release.
Do you have a spare drive you could swap in just to test it? That's what I did - I didn't want to lose my Dharma setup if things went sideways with beta3 of Eden, so I swapped in a different drive for a test install. Once I confirmed it was going to work fine, I swapped back to the SSD and re-installed. In your case, then you could investigate more what the best strategy would be for having the system dual boot....just an idea, or you could wait for Eden Final
what you could do is to install to USB again as in to disk..this time install it while plugged into the asrock.
(be very careful not install the bootloader to wrong disk...do not remember how this looks in xbmcbuntu but in ubuntu 11.10 it is fine if careful)

If the performance is fine in the GUI and in playback but you get the hang in boot again then try to downgrade grub.
I have not tested it in with xbmcbuntu but I think it will work as the grub is not used to autostart anymore.

Quote:sudo apt-get purge grub2 grub-pc
sudo rm /boot/grub/*

sudo apt-get install grub
sudo mdir /boot/grub

sudo update-grub

sudo fdisk -l

sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
(X is the disk you identify with fdisk -l)

echo "grub hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections

EDIT: I have tested all these steps myself but not in xbmcbuntu 11.0 so be careful especially with the bootloader
EDIT2: tested to downgrade to legacy grub in xbmcbuntu beta3 and it works. Just had to add a mkdir /boot/grub when promted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 11 rc2 on my asrock 330 ion0