Wanting to build a machine purely for movies
Im planning on using my spare pc parts to build a machine just for storing and playing back movies and telly programs, either avis, mpgs or mkvs. Does this run on any version of Linux? Ive only used Ubuntu and not too clued up on it. This will be connected to my main pc via wireless and connected straight into the telly via HDMI connection and audio out thru Onkyo surround amp. (or am I better going component thru the amp? Both HDMI connections on the amp are used with SKY HD and PS3.)

Looking for recommendations for version of Linux to use and version of XBMC to install. Cheers
Well, I would look into OpenELEC or XBCMbuntu (either wait for release or be brave and go beta).

HDMI would obviosly be the easiest, since you can then pass-thru video to the TV (hence one cable).

Edit: Wireless may or may not provide stable enough streaming and it's more about "no dropouts" than max throughput.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
Strongly recommend OpenELEC. However, be aware that if you go that route and you have hardware incompatibilities there's very little room for fixing them (e.g. my main HTPC can't be upgraded beyond the OpenELEC Dharma release because of incompatibilities with the version of linux that OpenELEC Eden is built on).

If you have a server where you store your shows, you can have a very minimal HTPC. Mine are basically just motherboard, "spare" CPU (one an E2140, the other an E7300), nVidia video card, power supply (one with a PicoPSU), 1GB RAM and a 4GB flash drive with OpenELEC on it. So long as you have a sufficiently-capable video card (nVidia tends to be the most compatible with the most shows) the CPU doesn't really matter much. Aim for the lowest noise you can get - it should ideally be inaudible from where you're sitting while playing back with the audio muted.

If you can do just HDMI for everything that's best, but since your amp is full it sounds to me like HDMI to the TV and S/PDIF (either coax or optical) to the amp is your best option. But that relies on having hardware with S/PDIF out.

If you can't get a cable to the HTPC I would suggest looking into powerline networking rather than wireless. Even if you have an excellent signal, wireless still tends to be a bit iffy for streaming.
I suggest xbmclive. Pretty easy to install and works great
IMO, waste of time using old bits. Might as well just buy a cheap HP Microserver and a second hand GT430, claim cashback and your talking a total of about £150-£160, you will have something that looks fairly compact and not an eye sore, pretty much silent and a warranty, ease of use etc.

Most importantly it won't eat power like making something from surpless inappropriate hardware will, it will have paid for itself in a year or two if you want to leave it on all the time, which is obviously much more ideal than booting the thing up when you need to use it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wanting to build a machine purely for movies0