Help creating an XBMC jukebox for a rock bar
Hi There,

I am the manager of a rock bar in Scotland. We currently provide a request service for our customers to 'pick their own playlist'. I was wondering if it would be possible to use an htpc and XBMC to create an interactive jukebox service.

Currently we are using a pc setup with winamp which requires a member of staff to add requested songs to the playlist. I thought it would be very cool to use XBMC's beautiful interface instead. I have no plans to make this a touch screen service, hopefully just requiring a keyboard, (and a mouse if required).

The native XBMC music interface would work well, but I was wondering if I would be possible to lock certain features, so the customers only have the ability to search and queue up songs, possibly with a time limit between queue entries (to avoid flooding the playlist).

Is this something I can achieve with a standard XBMC setup, or would this require a new plugin of sorts?

I understand that if someone was to take on such a task, it would require quite a bit of time and skill and I have no problems donating to any dev who fancies having a go.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

This is mostly skinning work. If you like I can move the thread there.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
That would be great.

Thanks for your reply.
(2012-03-13, 01:51)absintheboy Wrote: That would be great.

Thanks for your reply.

Will do - best of luck. I've set up XBMC in a bar b4 - they loved it Smile

Moving now....
BTW, I set them up with an XBox 360 wireless controller and they had to tip the waitresses for each song picked Wink
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-03-13, 02:00)DDDamian Wrote: BTW, I set them up with an XBox 360 wireless controller and they had to tip the waitresses for each song picked Wink

What a great idea.
Thanks again for the help.
You might want to try some of the more customizeable skins like Transparancy as well - you can hide more of the main menu options, as well as the exit menu options. A wireless controller like the XBox 360's has great range depending on the size of the bar, just gotta watch for theft obviously. But the patrons at the bar I set it up for loved it, and the waitresses kept an eye on the remote as it was a nice little bonus for them Wink
I have had Transparancy suggested to me already, I just need to find the time to check it out properly. Smile

The wireless remote is a good idea, but at the weekends (when we get most of the requests) the bar gets far too busy, so theft would be a real problem and unfortunately, we do not wait the tables, it is service at the bar only.

Right now, I would be happy with a keyboard only if I can get away with it, but in the future I have plans to have a friend of mine code an app for android and iphones that would allow customers to 'request' tracks from their phones. It could double up as a good advertisement source too. From what I can tell (and I am no expert) it could simply be a modded version of one of the XBMC controller apps that are currently available.
That would be an ideal solution for sure. Another option is a touch screen and kiosk-mode, but at an obvious cost. The phone trick would be hard to manage in terms of limiting requests without significant work, and of course the customers have to "find" it. The skies the limit though depending on coding time invested.

A wireless keyboard is easy to adapt and harder to steal, but must be RF with a decent range. Or find a remote that's easy to chain to the bar Smile
might not be the most ideal solution for control in a bar but voxcommando perhaps?

http://voxcommando.com/

I thought I saw a video of someone working on using the suri interface with the iphone 4s but I cant seem to find it.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Might be a rather loud environment for VoxCommando, and a little training is required for use, plus a headset or good mic.
(2012-03-14, 22:12)DDDamian Wrote: The phone trick would be hard to manage in terms of limiting requests without significant work, and of course the customers have to "find" it.

I was thinking of using a QR code. We have quite a talented artist who paints murals througout the bar for us. I was thinking of getting him to to an apple logo and an android logo with blown up QR codes that are easy to scan from a distance. Either way, the app is just an idea right now, and is a long way off.

I will hopefully get some time this Sunday to sit down and work through Transparancy and see exactly what I can achieve with it.

Thanks for the help guys.

I'll let you know how I get on.
In order for XBMC to become a Jukebox, someone need to implement the "DJ Lock" button you will find on professional DJ software like MixMeister.
The behavior of this button is simple: It simply prevents users from destroying a playlist. When enabled:

1. It will not be possible to directly jump to another song except to the next song in the playlist. This will prevent a user from destroying the playlist.
2. It will still be possible to add/remove and reorder songs, and it will be possible to move to the next song.

This feature would typically be combined with crossfade in order for the audience to get smooth transfers if a user finishes a song before it is complete.

3. An optional feature is a Setting where you can specify the minimum time a song need to be played before the user is able to crossfade to the next. This is to prevent the 10 second syndrome - only 10 seconds of each song being played before the user hits next.

If this had been implemented in either one of the skins (or in one of the ipad remotes like Constellation or XBMC Commander), you would have a fully functional Jukebox allowing the users to control the music without risking mayhem;-)
I am an avid XBMC user, However there are two programs that can do this no problem.

MEDIA MONKEY using the webrowser plugin

or

WINAMP using something like WAWI and there are others.

You can create such an easy jukebox that any phone can search the list of songs and add to a playlist.

IMHO it will be more work to force XBMC into becoming a jukebox Unless you create a kiosk for it with a touchscreen. Also using the programs above dont require a monster pc an old p3 works fine if you want all the cover art and visualization a single core p4 would be just fine.

If you are in Southern Cali or Near the I.E I could build you a system no problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help creating an XBMC jukebox for a rock bar0