Linux Choosing a Linux PVR setup
Hi,

I am wanting to set up a fresh Linux XBMC PVR setup.

I installed openelec (using pulse-eight's pvr version) which booted in 15 seconds and was slick but there is a problem with TVHeadend not waking the system for scheduled recordings which is a deal breaker.

I would prefer to use a single install, e.g. PVR backend software and XBMC on the same PC but have the option of a PVR backend on a PC and using Crystalbuntu, already installed on my old Apple TV Gen 1, as the front end.

Can you recommend the best set up that would allow all of the functions of a PVR setup like being able to sleep and wake the system to record but also is simple without alot of unnessessary software like a full blown linux distro (e.g. openoffice etc) and is the most "appliance" like. I loved how openelec didn't feel like XBMC could crash to a linux desktop (that would be a fail in my wife's eyes).

Look forward to your thoughts

Thanks
Dave

- Install XBMC-Live from the Live-CD
- Update to Opdenkamps XBMC-PVR (Eden RCs) and install TVheadend from the first post here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91716
(in this post an "apt-get install tvheadend" is missing).
- Get the "Power and Recording Management for TVHeadend" from here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=115758

Enjoy
http://www.yavdr.org - can be run as a server or as a backend and XBMC frontend on one PC. By default it wakes on recording.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-03-14, 21:22)charlie0440 Wrote: http://www.yavdr.org - can be run as a server or as a backend and XBMC frontend on one PC. By default it wakes on recording.

Do you use it regularly? is it stable?

I am a little concerned the website states there could be bugs
I use mythtv as a pvr backend, albeit I dont use it on the same pc and dont use a pvr version of xbmc, I very rarely watch live tv and recordings play fine in xbmc. Its rock solid stable (even the 0.25 beta), has a great web interface for scheduling recordings, suspends when idle and wakes for recordings (I have it so it doesnt suspend if Im serving media via samba, downloading nzb's/torrents, recording tv etc..). My only real gripe is that the built in transcoding options are a bit dated. Its a bit of a pain to setup the first time but it is set and forget, Ive tried tvheadend, wmc7, mediaportal and vdr and prefer mythtv over all of them.
(2012-03-15, 00:40)gsi095 Wrote: Do you use it regularly? is it stable?

I am a little concerned the website states there could be bugs

I use the yavdr ubuntu packages these days, But before that yes I had it installed on my HTPC in the living room as the OS. It worked well, quite stable. YaVDR is great if all you want to do it install an OS from a usb/cd and on first boot everything just works! No need for a complex setup. My tv card was installed and working, it gives you a list of channels to choose from, so no channel scanning is required. Nearly everything can be edited from a webpage.

In regards to how stable it is, you should be aware that any XBMC PVR is not classified as stable. PVR in XBMC will be included in the final 12.0 XBMC version due out in a year! Until then it will be classified as unstable.

Quote:Its a bit of a pain to setup the first time but it is set and forget

MythTv was the first PVR i tired. I found it extremely hard to set up too, but this was my first experience with Linux which was did not help. There are many choices for a PVR and it comes down to user preference. The majority seem to use TvHeadend.

Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choosing a Linux PVR setup0