[Solved] Occasionally won't boot XBMC
iOS 5.0.2 (iOS 4.4.4 had same issue)
XBMC 11

Sometime when I try to launch XBMC, it won't load at all and just gives me a black screen. After lots of frustration, I found that the most reliable "solution" has been for me to SSH in and just navigate to the XBMC userdata folder. That's it. All I have to do is simply SSH into the folder and not even touch anything, then XBMC will boot properly the next time.
This seems like a really weird solution, so I was wondering if anyone else has seen something similar lately.
I'll see if I can grab the log next time this happens.
Here's the log http://pastebin.com/KEsdUy01.
At the end, I see that it said it couldn't create several Thumbnails folders, but I verified the folders are there (and it shouldn't be trying to create those anyway because I'm using path substitution and storing the thumbnails on my server).
I unplugged the power and rebooted, and this time it came up just fine. Here's the log of when it came up fine, so you can compare, http://pastebin.com/EuCGZB76.
Any ideas why it would be saying it can't create these Thumbnail folders (which already exist) or why it would even be trying to create them in the first place (when I'm using path substitution)?
The fact that sshing in resolves the problem points into the direction of the network. Looks like it hasn't a connection (thats when you get the black screen cause there are multiple timeouts to be wait on before you will see the gui without network). Thats when you get the write errors - cause your network pathes are not accessible by your pathsubstitution.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
So, what we're seeing is that randomly my ATV2 is having network issues, at least when starting XBMC. I'll buy that. Guess I'll try setting a static IP on my ATV2 and see if that resolves it. Any other suggestions?
Wired or wireless? Model of router? There might be some weird combo that causes issues.
Wireless. Linksys WRT320N. I never had issues with this about a month ago.
It's gotta be something specific to XBMC, because Netflix works fine, but XBMC won't start until I SSH in again.
I'm going to try sharing my thumbnails over FTP instead of Samba.
Won't have to worry about this when I move to Frodo, but the switch to Frodo involves 2 PCs and the ATV2, and linking 2 Android tablets to the new library, so it'll likely take the better part of an afternoon, and I don't have that time now.
10 days after switching to FTP for thumbnail sharing, and I haven't had any more hanging while booting XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] Occasionally won't boot XBMC0