1TB or 2TB?
I want to upgrade my hard drive on my htpc and not sure what I want to get...

I will have the os on it so would a 2tb even work or is that more for strictly storage.

That'll be fine dude! If your only using the one drive with no NAS or externals then Bigger the better!
I have to agree, if you go with small drive now you will only end up filling it up and wish you went with the larger drive. believe me I've been there.. Wink
Thanks for the reply guys!
As long as you have a spinner generating heat, I don't think the size matters. I'd seriously look at an SSD for your OS and a slower 5900ish RPM drive for data. You can always move the data drive to a file server in the future, and it allows for spinning that drive down when not needed. That probably won't happen as much with you OS on there (especially Windows).
(2012-03-22, 00:51)Chuck King Wrote: I want to upgrade my hard drive on my htpc and not sure what I want to get...

I will have the os on it so would a 2tb even work or is that more for strictly storage.
If you are using Windows 7, you can check out this compatibility list- Hard Drives, Internal.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Wait for prices to come down even more. But if you must, get a 2TB. I got a 1TB and it is running out of space.
Thanks guys going with a 2TB... Prices are crazy right now but I have some staples rewards I need to use up. so a 2tb is going to come out to 25 bucks. Smile
I would suggest that when you install your new hard drive, make sure to partition the OS so that it can still be cloned onto a backup hard drive...I keep my OS partition at 270 GB so I can keep a sector by sector clone at the ready on my 300 GB HDD...This setup is also a bit easier for Media management as you don't have to worry about shifting thru any OS files on the media files partition.

Now as to what Kirky99 said...
(2012-03-22, 01:36)Kirky99 Wrote: As long as you have a spinner generating heat, I don't think the size matters. I'd seriously look at an SSD for your OS and a slower 5900ish RPM drive for data. You can always move the data drive to a file server in the future, and it allows for spinning that drive down when not needed. That probably won't happen as much with you OS on there (especially Windows).

It is true that your 2 TB HHD has moving parts...but don't worry about that...heat isn't much of a problem on any system unless you have some unique box that has either no ventilation or fans...Also, with the speeds of Windows 8, SSDs are deff not worth the hype and the price.
Will you be storing content on it? If so then I'd go big. If not and instead you just need an OS and XBMC install and will be pulling content from a server elsewhere then I'd go with an SSD of about 60gigs and save the multi-TB drives for the server. In the end I think you're going to want a server and a nice quiet front-end....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
thanks for all the tips guys. I installed the OS on a ssd and the 2tb just for storage

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1TB or 2TB? 0