Newbie Advice Please?
Sad 
Hello guys and gals,

Please excuse me if I seem a little unknowledgeable on this subject but I am completely new to XBMC having just migrated from AC Ryan and WDTV.

I have purchased a Revo 3700 and intend to use it with XBMC.

What I would like to know is would I be better of using Win 7 or LINUX? If the latter, which version? OR.... would XBMC Live be better for me?

I have scored these and other forums for the answers but there seems to be quite a bit of contradicting advice Smile I guess I would just like to know your personal views and how it's worked out for you?

Thank you all very much in advance.

Matt
Openelec will probably suit you best
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2012-03-22, 03:08)bry- Wrote: Openelec will probably suit you best

Thanks very much for your answer. I'd never actually heard of Openelec until you just mentioned it, but it looks very interesting.
Are you using it?

Thanks again

Matt
Not at the moment. I have a bootable USB key of the generic build that I use to show people. Currently using xbmc as a windows app on win7.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2012-03-22, 03:27)bry- Wrote: Not at the moment. I have a bootable USB key of the generic build that I use to show people. Currently using xbmc as a windows app on win7.

Oh ok,

Win 7 was my first choice but as the machine will be no more than a dedicated media centre, I am really liking the Openelec, It looks really smart
(2012-03-22, 03:27)bry- Wrote: Not at the moment. I have a bootable USB key of the generic build that I use to show people. Currently using xbmc as a windows app on win7.

Do you know if Openelec works with an MCE remote? Or even with a Harmony 1100?

Matt
I don't see why it wouldn't. You may be better off asking on their forums.

IMPORTANT:
(2012-03-22, 17:26)bry- Wrote: I don't see why it wouldn't. You may be better off asking on their forums.

Have done Smile
Just thought I'd asked you as you were familiar with it Smile

Thank you for your advice anyway

Matt
(2012-03-22, 03:31)Thirty12 Wrote:

Oh ok,

Win 7 was my first choice but as the machine will be no more than a dedicated media centre, I am really liking the Openelec, It looks really smart

Do you know if Openelec works with an MCE remote? Or even with a Harmony 1100?

Matt

Yes, I have OpenELEC running in my Home Theatre with an MCE Remote (just using the IR USB connection of the remote) that was controlled by my Harmony 1000 (recently upgraded to the Harmony Link).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie Advice Please?0