• 3(current)
Solved Subtitles over UPnP streams
I have the exact same problem/dilema, I have a XBIAN with all my movies and tv shows, all with external subtitles (.srt), and I've just bought a LG Smart TV with DLNA support, and when I play the videos stored on the xbian connected hard drive, there are no subtitles showing, for what I've read it's a problem with subtitles over DLNA, so the only solution for now is to merge the mkv files with the subtitle ones, or buy an android pc with XBMC installed on it, the thing is that the main reason for me to buy a smart tv is to forget all about hdmi cables and dongles.

I hope Kodi people can do something about it, that's something worth paying for.
Wink 
A workaround for this problem is entirely avoid using upnp , In my case I'm using raspbmc as client (xmbc for raspberry pi), tried different servers (ps3mediaserver, Serviio, minidlna) without look, the DLNA server is in my local network, so instead of using upnp I added a network location on xmbc using ssh (smb should work the same way), by doing so I can now access all my videos and the subtitles on xbmc, not a great solution but it gets the job done, xbmc sees the content like it was local. Hope it helps.

Pura vida! Cool
Any progress on this? Kodi beta2 git:3d9dbc2 doesn't play subtitles over upnp.

(^Thanks for the hint on ssh by the way, that was an easy workaround. I was looking at NFS shares when I found out upnp was broken but now I had a working solution within a minute or two.)
This is pretty basic feature, everybody expects it, should have a high prio.
Surely for you. I personally rarely use upnp and never with subtitles, so prio is a very subjective matter Wink
(2014-12-22, 10:50)mikeroku Wrote: This is pretty basic feature, everybody expects it, should have a high prio.

entitled much?
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
UPnP works great with video files that have internal subtitles, which covers pretty much every single video that I have that needs subtitles. *shrug*
So...no fix to this problem?

Similarly to everyone else, I watch movies on my Panasonic TV that can connect to the Kodi server on the computer in the next room.

When there is a movie that has some Russian speaking, I need to turn on the subtitles. These movies have external SRT files. Kodi doesn't allow the use of these.

Serviio can perform this function

Any ideas on how to fix this problem with Kodi?
What is "Kobi" ??
Never heard of such a thing
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Lol..sorry...it has been a LONG boxing day!!!

I will fix it now
(2014-12-26, 15:12)Tony555 Wrote: Similarly to everyone else, I watch movies on my Panasonic TV that can connect to the Kodi server on the computer in the next room.

When there is a movie that has some Russian speaking, I need to turn on the subtitles. These movies have external SRT files. Kodi doesn't allow the use of these.

Serviio can perform this function
As stated before, Kodi currently does not serve subtitles over UPnP to other devices. It's a feature that has not been implemented yet. It's only able to use subtitles when you are using Kodi as a player and if they are being served by a different UPnP server (like rygel, serviio, etc.).
People keep mixing this up in this thread. Kodi receives subtitles, not send. The former is supported now, the latter is not implemented yet.
There's a feature request pending for sending subtitles: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/15142
Comment there if you have anything to contribute to it.
Correction, it is not able to send external subtitles. Internal subtitles work just fine.
Maybe this could help http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1874582
For those looking for external subtitles serving support: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6184
I.e. you'll have it in a new/nightly release. Don't forget to thank 7pepo7 for his work, if this new feature makes you happy ;-)
Should this be working on Kodi 15 alpha 1? Does it have to be enabled somewhere or should it be automatic?

Downloaded alpha 1 to try, enabled the upnp server and played a Game of Thrones episode having two subtitles in the same directory ( *.pt.srt and *.en.srt).
My Panasonic tv found the server and played the file OK, but didn't recognize the subtitles.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles over UPnP streams1