• 4(current)
Solved Subtitles over UPnP streams
Are external subtitles working yet for sending via UPNP? I see a mixed "yes it is working" and "no it is not working". Would love to have this support for Fire TV.
@palombasso

I tested this feature with another Kodi instance as a UPnP client/render and it worked perfectly, no need for extra configuration.

Does Panasonic TV sets support subtitles over UPnP? from what I read so far only LG and Samsung support this feature.
Notice that UPnP servers as TVersity embedding the subtitles (when transcoding) when the client don't support external subtitles, so you might not be aware that your TV set don't support external subtitles because they are displayed when using such server.
p.s.
I should add that Kodi doesn't support transcoding ATM, I'm sure allot of us would love to see that change (Chrome OS users, ChromeCast, streaming to mobile device with an internet service data cap).
(2015-03-11, 10:33)dhead Wrote: @palombasso

I tested this feature with another Kodi instance as a UPnP client/render and it worked perfectly, no need for extra configuration.

Does Panasonic TV sets support subtitles over UPnP? from what I read so far only LG and Samsung support this feature.
Notice that UPnP servers as TVersity embedding the subtitles (when transcoding) when the client don't support external subtitles, so you might not be aware that your TV set don't support external subtitles because they are displayed when using such server.

How did you do that? I wasn't able to stream subtitles between two Kodi instances (one in windows and the other in android). I tried with 15.0 alpha 1 and with 14.2 beta 1 in both instances.
I've also tried to stream to a Samsung device which I know is able to receive subtitles (serviio without transcoding works) but with no success.

Another thing that I could not use is the UPnP profiles. I've added a device to the upnpmime.xml and changed the way mkv files are recognized but it looked like the changes had no effect. I've tried this in windows and in android and also with 15.0 alpha 1 and with 14.2 beta 1.
(2015-03-11, 10:33)dhead Wrote: Does Panasonic TV sets support subtitles over UPnP? from what I read so far only LG and Samsung support this feature.
Yes, Panasonic supports it as well. It uses a different way though, but this is supported by Kodi.
A quick test shows me that Kodi is correctly serving external subtitles to my Panasonic TV. For the test I used an .AVI file with a subtitle file matching the .AVI file exactly, with the exception of the extension .SRT. I.e. no language or country name/code included.
@Forage

Thanks, it's pretty great this is also supported by Panasonic.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2047695

Yeah, it's working for me !
Hello this feature was previously working on my LG WebOS SmartTV, but on the Isengard final release it dont work anymore, not even on 15.1RC1. Can someone take a look at this? I love using kodi as a DLNA server for my TV. On 15.0 beta 1 it worked perfectly.
(2015-08-15, 23:36)evertjr Wrote: Hello this feature was previously working on my LG WebOS SmartTV, but on the Isengard final release it dont work anymore, not even on 15.1RC1. Can someone take a look at this? I love using kodi as a DLNA server for my TV. On 15.0 beta 1 it worked perfectly.
Please be a bit more clear about what your situation is and what is not working.
Is your setup one of the following?
  1. Kodi as a UPnP server, using you TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles
  2. Kodi as a UPnP server, using you TV as a client, playing a movie with internal subtitles
  3. A different (Kodi) UPnP server, using (a different) Kodi as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles
  4. A different (Kodi) UPnP server, using (a different) Kodi as a client, playing a movie with internal subtitles
I assume it's either option 1 or 2 but please be clear about that.
Also:
  1. provide a log
  2. Give us some insight in file names used for subtitle and movie file in case of external subtitles
(2015-08-16, 00:10)Forage Wrote:
(2015-08-15, 23:36)evertjr Wrote: Hello this feature was previously working on my LG WebOS SmartTV, but on the Isengard final release it dont work anymore, not even on 15.1RC1. Can someone take a look at this? I love using kodi as a DLNA server for my TV. On 15.0 beta 1 it worked perfectly.
Please be a bit more clear about what your situation is and what is not working.
Is your setup one of the following?
  1. Kodi as a UPnP server, using you TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles
  2. Kodi as a UPnP server, using you TV as a client, playing a movie with internal subtitles
  3. A different (Kodi) UPnP server, using (a different) Kodi as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles
  4. A different (Kodi) UPnP server, using (a different) Kodi as a client, playing a movie with internal subtitles
I assume it's either option 1 or 2 but please be clear about that.
Also:
  1. provide a log
  2. Give us some insight in file names used for subtitle and movie file in case of external subtitles

Hi, what describe my situation is option 1. I use kodi as a UPnP server, on my TV using LG's "SmartShare" I navigate on kodi folders and select the movie file.

Until 15.0 beta 1 if next to the movie file exist a .srt file with the same name, the subtitles would show up on TV.

Here are the logs:

Log from Isengard beta 1 where external subtitles are correctly served to my TV:
http://xbmclogs.com/p19xbgiat

Log from Isengard 15.1 final where external subtitles are NOT served to my TV:
http://xbmclogs.com/p3ujbd3ra

Tested files/movie:
Star.Wars.Episode.4.A.New.Hope.1977.1080p.BrRip.x264.BOKUTOX.YIFY.mp4
Star.Wars.Episode.4.A.New.Hope.1977.1080p.BrRip.x264.BOKUTOX.YIFY.srt

If you need anything else please tell me
Up

Anything?
Hello..
I'm suffering from same problem as all of you.
I'm using windows 8.1 x64
External subtile won't play on my BR Samsung BD-F6500 player.
I have situation:
Quote:1. Kodi as a UPnP server, using you TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles
My srt subtitle have a same name as a mkv movie file. It working with Samsung All Share Windows software, and external subtitle is played!
If I copy srt and mkv file (both of that have same name) on USB and push it to my BR again it is played!
So the problem is in KODI Sad
I try looot of version (nightbuild), 15.0 beta 1 (as someone mentioned here on forum and confirmed that it working), then 15.1 stabile release, 16.x alpha..and nothing.
Can someone tell me which verison playing extrenal subtile?
Or how can I make it work?
Thx
@easydoor submit debug logs please, this is still a relatively new addition and not all UPNP devices are identical.
(2015-08-25, 13:37)Kib Wrote: @easydoor submit debug logs please, this is still a relatively new addition and not all UPNP devices are identical.

Hello..
Thx for helping me!
Here is the log:
http://www87.zippyshare.com/v/LzL2tn0F/file.html
Thanks for this great new feature! It really makes Kodi's UPNP service useful to those who use external subtitles extensively over streaming.

But I've found some issues with 15.1 along with 15.2 RC1 version; it picks up (1) a wrong external subtitle for some movies from a large collection and (2) none with some smart playlists.

I'm running Kodi on a Windows 10 laptop as a UPNP server with a DVD player as a client for playing movies on TV with external subtitle files that have identical filenames with the movie files in the same folder.

(1) With under or around 100 external subtitle files in the folder (or library), it's working fine with no issues (except the smart playlist problem I will describe below).

But with a bigger library (mine has about 400 external subtitle files), it picks up a wrong subtitle file for some movies, which is consistently reproducible. Lots of (but not all) movies load the last subtitle file in the folder. Also it takes considerably longer time to display movie files list in the folder and to start and end playback when external subtitle option is enabled for a large collection. It's the same for (some) movies selected to play from smart playlists even when they contain a small number of movies in them. Likewise, many movies load the last subtitle file in the playlist. Could be a Kodi's bug or a possible memory size limitation with my client device (DVD player).

(2) Now, the smart playlist issue. Because it takes long to load the movie list, I decided to create smart playlists each starting with a small range of alphabets for titles. Then, I noticed it, for some reason, fails to pick up any external subtitle file for a movie if that's selected to play from a smart playlist that has more than two rules. For instance, <title starts with a or b> works fine, but <title starts with a or b or c> does not pick up any external subtitle file for a movie when played from the playlist. I was able to verify that it has nothing to do with the number of movies in each playlist and the size of library.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles over UPnP streams1