• 5(current)
Solved Subtitles over UPnP streams
Any news about my problem?
Can some Kodi developer take a look at this and revert whatever was modified with this subtitle function since 15.0 beta 1?
Hello, first post here. Smile
But same problem streaming from Kodi (Windows 10 x64) to DLNA TV (LG LA6200).
There's no subtitles only from windows Kodi.

I've did some tests: Kodi 15.1 and SPMC (Android Kodi 15.0)

1. Kodi (Windows) as a UPnP server, using TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles. - > Not Working.
2. Kodi (Linux Mint 17) as a UPnP server, using TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles. -> Working
3. Kodi (SPMC fork for Android) as a UPnP server, using TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles. -> Working
4. Kodi (Hackintosh 10.8.2) as a UPnP server, using TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles. -> Not Working
5. Any Kodi (UPnP server) to any Kodi client (Android, Linux, Windows and Hackintosh) playing a movie with external subtitles - > Working

also tested MiniDLNA for windows and linux, and the stream with external subtitles works on TV.

The problem (i think) is between Kodi for windows and TV. It has a delay of about 25s, and then the movie starts (without subtitles).
Kodi for windows can stream perfectly to another Kodi client.

Also noted that a fresh install of windows 10 (VirtualBox tested) and Kodi, it works the stream with external subtitles, but if you install kodi onto a running O.S. (e.g. windows 7) in the network, like i did in my laptop, it does not stream and it stops the other windows from work the stream to TV.

https://youtu.be/NlLF_wQVxNE

sorry the poor english.
Hello lopanrs,

Can you share wit us number of version of SPMC and setup to run subtitles in this case:
3. Kodi (SPMC fork for Android) as a UPnP server, using TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles. -> Working
My TV is LG LB671.

I try a lot after seeing your post but not result.

Thank you in advance.
I forgot something- im using cirilic subs
(2015-09-26, 15:27)lopanrs Wrote: Hello, first post here. Smile
But same problem streaming from Kodi (Windows 10 x64) to DLNA TV (LG LA6200).
There's no subtitles only from windows Kodi.

I've did some tests: Kodi 15.1 and SPMC (Android Kodi 15.0)

1. Kodi (Windows) as a UPnP server, using TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles. - > Not Working.
2. Kodi (Linux Mint 17) as a UPnP server, using TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles. -> Working
4. Kodi (Hackintosh 10.8.2) as a UPnP server, using TV as a client, playing a movie with external subtitles. -> Not Working
5. Any Kodi (UPnP server) to any Kodi client (Android, Linux, Windows and Hackintosh) playing a movie with external subtitles - > Working

also tested MiniDLNA for windows and linux, and the stream with external subtitles works on TV.

The problem (i think) is between Kodi for windows and TV. It has a delay of about 25s, and then the movie starts (without subtitles).
Kodi for windows can stream perfectly to another Kodi client.

Also noted that a fresh install of windows 10 (VirtualBox tested) and Kodi, it works the stream with external subtitles, but if you install kodi onto a running O.S. (e.g. windows 7) in the network, like i did in my laptop, it does not stream and it stops the other windows from work the stream to TV.

https://youtu.be/NlLF_wQVxNE

sorry the poor english.

Hello lopanrs,

Can you share wit us number of version of SPMC and setup to run subtitles in this case:
My TV is LG LB671.

I try a lot after seeing your post but not result.

Thank you in advance.
Hello!
Below some pics how i configure the phone (Asus Zenfone 5), the SPMC version.

Summary:

UPnP settings:

Subtitle settings:

Other settings are default of Kodi.
Dont know about cyrilic charset, mine are pt_BR and using default charset.

Still the same problem here, like i said before, with a fresh install of windows it works, but after some time it stops the stream with external subs.
(2015-10-07, 09:16)lopanrs Wrote: Hello!
Below some pics how i configure the phone (Asus Zenfone 5), the SPMC version.

Summary:

UPnP settings:

Subtitle settings:

Other settings are default of Kodi.
Dont know about cyrilic charset, mine are pt_BR and using default charset.

Still the same problem here, like i said before, with a fresh install of windows it works, but after some time it stops the stream with external subs.

Very strange. I install app from link on two devices, and both of them do not show "look for external subtitles" check in UpNP settings.
Hi. Try change the settings level to advanced. In the bottom left of the page. Just clic and it changes from standard.
Thank you so much loprans!
I didn't expect this is a button.
Hi all, I checked the whole thread since 2013 and people are saying the problem is solved but it isn't for me.

I am trying to play movies from my windows 7 laptop (using kodi as UPnP server) on another Kodi instance (Android/Amazon fire stick on my TV)

The advanced settings of UPnP are all set on both instances, and the movies play perfectly but Kodi doesn't detect (or transfer) the subtitle although it's named like the movie and placed in the same folder. I even tried the Browse for subtitles" tab but when I reach the folder...Kodi will not see the subtitle file , only the movie file.

Both Kodi versions are the latest (Isengard)

Any help?

Thanks all!
Update.

All worked fine after restarting both instances.
Hi, like mandoo2 above I checked whole thread, but still have issues with subtitles over the UPnP.

My setup looks like this:
- miniDLNA server run on asus RT-AC68U (Merlin-Asuswrt firmware). Dlna server is not the one embedded in router firmware (this one is disabled from admin panel), but installed through telnet ssh
- Sony KDL-W805C with Android TV OS, Kodi app installed from Google Play Store, UPnP server added to library.

Everything works fine except that damn subtitles... I tried playback from SMB source and subtitles were read fine.

Any clue?
Hi wasiu! Did you select the UPnP settings to 'look for external subtitles' on Android TV?
Sometimes my miniDLNA running on openwrt router 'forget' to reload the library properly. Then need to delete the files.db file and create a new one.
With a large library this can take some time.
I use a 'script' to do that, that also move my files downloaded with transmission to the library too.
Code:
#!/bin/ash
/etc/init.d/minidlna stop
sleep 1
rm -f /var/run/minidlna/files.db
rm -f /var/run/minidlna/minidlna.pid
sleep 1
mv /home/transmission/done/* /midia/
sleep 1
/etc/init.d/minidlna start
echo "MiniDLNA restart [ok]"
Yes 'look for external subtitles' was selected, and it didn't work. I thought that this option is required only when Kodi acts as a DLNA server. In my case Kodi is only a client.

I was doing a full rescan on minidlna, and it also leads to nowhere... I will try to delete files.db and minidlna.pid manually, it will be miracle if that was the case.

Are you also running Asuswrt-Merlin? When it is executed? You do it manually, or you bind it to some event like service restart etc.?

Btw. thanks for help, and wish you a happy new year Smile
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles over UPnP streams1