3D on Mac Mini (2012)???
Hi,

I have the newest Mac mini, with HDMI 1.4, and I am thinking about getting a new TV. If I was to buy a 3D TV, would I be able to DL 3D movies and play them in 3D on the Mac Mini using XBMC?

I am only using XBMC on the Mac Mini, and if it doesn't work, then I will save the money and go for a non.3D TV.

Bo
Bump - AnyoneHuh
Maybe you can go to a shop and try it. It doesn't look like any XBMC watching 3D content are using Mac Mini's

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
ATM, the only way to play 3D movies with XBMC are Half-SBS (side-by-side) videos, which will end in 960x1080 resolution for each eye.

Unfortunately XBMC can't handle other 3D formats or 3D subtitles...

AFAIK the HDMI port on the Mac mini isn't 1.4a, so there's also no chance to send a 3D conform signal to your 3DTV/3Dprojector. You have to set 3D mode manually on the TV/projector.

Alternatively you could play a variety of 3D formats with BINO as an external player. One of the downsides of Bino is, that it doesn't support surround sound output on a Mac.

I couldn't find any better solution ATM then to stick with Half-SBS videos and play them with XBMC.
(2012-04-14, 09:40)bigbadrabbit Wrote: AFAIK the HDMI port on the Mac mini isn't 1.4a, so there's also no chance to send a 3D conform signal to your 3DTV/3Dprojector. You have to set 3D mode manually on the TV/projector.

Not true; the 2012 Mac Mini has HDMI 1.4a, and I do believe Bino supports surround sound through the HDMI. I have the HDMI go to a Denon 4312, and then to the TV.

So the only problem is that it will "only" be half-SBS MKVs, for XBMC to see and play the movies, and then the subtitles will not work. That is hopefully just a question of time, before an update to XBMC sorts that out?

Bo
(2012-04-16, 20:49)KillerBob Wrote:
(2012-04-14, 09:40)bigbadrabbit Wrote: AFAIK the HDMI port on the Mac mini isn't 1.4a, so there's also no chance to send a 3D conform signal to your 3DTV/3Dprojector. You have to set 3D mode manually on the TV/projector.

Not true; the 2012 Mac Mini has HDMI 1.4a, and I do believe Bino supports surround sound through the HDMI. I have the HDMI go to a Denon 4312, and then to the TV.

So the only problem is that it will "only" be half-SBS MKVs, for XBMC to see and play the movies, and then the subtitles will not work. That is hopefully just a question of time, before an update to XBMC sorts that out?

Bo

Bo,

you're really sure the HDMI port on the Mac mini is 1.4a? You mean the late 2011 model, right? So far there was no update in 2012.

You can get a HDMI frame packed signal out of the Mac mini straight to your AV-receiver/TV? On OS X?
And the TV automatically switches to the right 3D mode?

What player are you using?
What files do you play?

As for Bino - under Audio Settings you have two choices to output sound:
Standard and OpenAL Soft

No matter what setting i use, Bino doesn't output surround sound to the AV-receiver while other programs like VLC, Quicktime Player, XBMC, etc. work fine here.
Hi,

You're right, it is a 2011 Mac Mini (silly me, I got it in 2012). But, yes, it does support HDMI 1.4. This was confirmed by Apple on MacRumors several times.

I right now run to/from Mac Mini <-> Denon <-> TV, and if/when I play an 3D MKV file, it shows up as two images on the TV. I do not have a 3D TV yet, this is why I wanted to confirm this would work fully before I buy a new TV (thinking of getting the Panasonic P55VT50Y). As soon as the local HiFi shop has the TV I will take the Mac mini down there to try it out.

When I was reading up on Bino, it says 3D Sound is sent via HDMIHuh I could also use the optical connection when I set it up with the TV.

(2012-04-16, 21:48)KillerBob Wrote: Hi,

You're right, it is a 2011 Mac Mini (silly me, I got it in 2012). But, yes, it does support HDMI 1.4. This was confirmed by Apple on MacRumors several times.

You know there's a difference between HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 1.4a, right? Only HDMI 1.4a can output a 3D conform signal, that the TV/projector understands.
The Mac mini has HDMI 1.4, that's right. But no HDMI 1.4a.

(2012-04-16, 21:48)KillerBob Wrote: I right now run to/from Mac Mini <-> Denon <-> TV, and if/when I play an 3D MKV file, it shows up as two images on the TV.

A Half-SBS MKV is just a normal 2D video to any player, so any player can handle it.
So there's no magic happening or 3D signal being sent.
(2012-04-17, 09:46)Cynthia179 Wrote: Maybe you can go to a shop and try it. It doesn't look like any XBMC watching 3D content are using Mac Mini's

Well, i use a Mac mini and watch 3D content.

One more time:
Mac mini = HDMI 1.4 = no 3D signal !
i also think that you can go to a shop and try it, 3D is cool, like 3D Titanic, awesome !
Hi Folks,

I know this thread is a couple months old, but I was passing by and thought I'd offer some input.

I currently run a DVR and Playstation 3 to an Onkyo NR515 receiver to a Panasonic Viera P65GT30 (3dTV)

The Side-by-Side or SBS or "Half" 3D files work fine from the Playstation to the receiver to the TV. The TV sees the dual picture and asks if you want to switch to 3D mode. Hit the 3D button on the remote and turn on the glasses and you're good to go. Since the files are compressed, you do get slightly more crosstalk in the 3D than you do from the disc. Crosstalk is when the pictures get out of alignment slightly and there's some "blurring" or "halos" around objects/people in 3D mode. When compared to actually watching a Blu-Ray 3D disc... the disc wins every time, no matter how little you compress a "single-file" backup.

There is an issue with trying to create back ups of Blu-Ray discs on the Mac. So far, I've not found any Mac Blu-Ray rippers which will rip the 5.1 audio. All rips result in stereo audio. For the most part this isn't critical. If I really want the full 3D I can throw the disc in the Playstation and watch that.

The reason I happen to be passing by... I've purchased a Mac Mini (arrives in a day or so) and will be moving to that for media serving rather than the Playstation 3 and to that end, have been looking at Plex and XBMC. Here, it'll just be far easier to add another Mac to my LAN since I've already got a few. And given the Playstation is a completely closed system, I'm looking forward to a bit more freedom with the media. I don't anticipate any issues whatsoever with playing the SBS 3D files on the Mini versus the Playstation.
Update... my Panasonic p65GT30 will not recognize side by side 3D movies from a Mac Mini. They work just fine from a playstation3, but the mini doesn't send the proper signals to the receiver then tv.

I wouldn't count on getting 3D from a mini.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D on Mac Mini (2012)???0