Behavior change of adding directories in network
2.2 Hrm...I think this is a bug...

I have got a linux server at the network, including videos. There is a disc containing videos mounted to
Code:
/some_dir/XYZ
I use ssh (vfs.sftp) for access, client OS as well Linux.

Before (Kodi 17):

Adding into folder Videos → Files → Add videos → Browse and I added network directory (XYZ) + set content. At this point a dialog „do you want to add videos into the folder“ poped up. Afterwards videos were added into the folder.

Now (Kodi 18):

Process of a source adding is the same but videos are not added into the library. I have to add the source into File manager – not a path to the directory XYZ (as content is not loaded into library by this way) – a path to parent directory some_dir or server root. As a next step I can add a subdirectory XYZ into the library and videos are added finally.

Is it a bug of a new feature?
(2019-02-13, 17:16)pckg Wrote: I have got a linux server at the network, including videos.

Just out of curiousity, but why are you using an ecrypted connection? Isn't the server on your LAN?`If it is, I would recommend to either use Samba or NFS for filesharing as using an encrypted connection will end up with an unneeded high CPU load on the client side.

Not saying that the problem you mentioned might not be a bug. Just suggesting you a probably better way to share your files between your machines.
(2019-02-14, 07:28)DaVu Wrote: Just out of curiousity, but why are you using an ecrypted connection? Isn't the server on your LAN?`If it is, I would recommend to either use Samba or NFS for filesharing as using an encrypted connection will end up with an unneeded high CPU load on the client side.

Not saying that the problem you mentioned might not be a bug. Just suggesting you a probably better way to share your files between your machines. 

I wrote my previous post to inform about a discovered problem or a potential bug. As I see it, KODI alloved non-problematic access via common network protocols including ssh. Vfs.sftp was moved into binary-addons in version 18. OK, lets install addon – change or bug arises – so here I am to inform bout it.

To answer your question.
The server´s role is not to be a single-purpose storage for one person, its a backup server as well, etc. We access it not only inside LAN but from outside as well, therefore ssh is reasonable here. Of course, I can use NFS on some desktop (not on mobile devices, incl. laptop). However it is not a solution suitable to every PC and not possible at other devices. I am OK with Samba, this is primarily a protocol for Linux <-> Windows network data transmissions, but hardly for sharing data between Linux systems. It is not a proper solution - for me. Not mention differences between transfer speeds, the difference of CPU load smb server + smb client vs ssh server + ssh client is not very significant – security patches affects on CPU Intel in that case, which is not related to me at all. I don't have Samba-server at my server as I don't use Windows at any of my PCs – therefore I would have to have extra service (smb) running at my server which would consume some next system resources itself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Behavior change of adding directories in network0