Linux iMON Pad - Need Reliable Info
N: Name="iMON Panel, Knob and Mouse(15c2:0038)"

You have the 'new' version of the receiver. You don't need lirc involved at all. And it should function out of the box. With the exception of a few keys not working at all. That's what the 0038 means.

Disable lirc -> service stop lirc
Install ir-keytable -> apt-get install ir-keytable
Run ir-keytable -> ir-keytable -t

Press some buttons on the remote, and make sure it responds.
Quote:Well, if nothing else comes up I guess we have to downgrade and wait till some linux experts figure out a way...if ever. I hope there are enough experienced users with the soundgraph IR product else we will all end up like me with a certain WLAN USB stick that will never EVER work under linux because no one cares. I really like the whole concept of linux and OpenSource in general but sometimes it gets frustrating. Well, shouldn't complain really because it's all for free. Wink

If you want to downgrade you need to disable the devinput modules:
- Add this blacklist to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-imon.conf:

blacklist ir_core
blacklist ir_lirc_codec
blacklist ir_sony_decoder
blacklist ir_jvc_decoder
blacklist ir_rc6_decoder
blacklist ir_rc5_decoder
blacklist ir_nec_decoder
blacklist rc_imon_pad
blacklist imon

- Add this entry to /etc/modules:
lirc_imon

However, I haven't even been able to get that working.

The issue you're experiencing is directly related to remote input being included in the kernel now through devinput and no longer needing lirc to handle anything in between.
BTW I noticed just right now that even with inputlirc and customized Lircmap I didn't even get keys like home and 'OK', so really not an option.

Ok, now I tried sparkies hints. Did revert any config files I changed so far, did purge inputlirc.

Then:

>service stop lirc
stop: unrecognized service

installed ir-keytable again (after purging first)

sudo ir-keytable -t

..and it worked, at least in testing mode, thank you so much!

Power-on via remote power button worked after shutdown in the console. To do above steps I did leave xbmc. Now, after rebooting all the way up to xbmc however the power-on-remote function of my Antec box however stopped working, again, like xbmc is causing a switch to another IR channel in the firmware or something.. Sad And no remote keys are recognized in xbmc, too. I guess I have to create a Lircmap.xml from scratch now to get the keys recognized? Or did I miss some other things? Back in dharma my mce remote worked with the standard Lircmap.xml that's why I'm wondering.
(2012-03-31, 00:01)gokudo Wrote: Power-on via remote power button worked after shutdown in the console. To do above steps I did leave xbmc. Now, after rebooting all the way up to xbmc however the power-on-remote function of my Antec box however stopped working, again, like xbmc is causing a switch to another IR channel in the firmware or something.. Sad And no remote keys are recognized in xbmc, too. I guess I have to create a Lircmap.xml from scratch now to get the keys recognized? Or did I miss some other things? Back in dharma my mce remote worked with the standard Lircmap.xml that's why I'm wondering.

The power on via remote is handled on the hardware level. There's a header that runs to the motherboard in between the power supply and receiver. That's what handles your power on. It's not dependent on software.

If it's not working after a reboot, run ir-keytable with no flags to see what it's using for a driver. With the 0038 you should get this:
Code:
Driver imon, table rc-imon-pad
        Supported protocols: RC-6 other
        Enabled protocols: RC-6 other
        Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

With ffdc:
Code:
Driver imon, table rc-imon-mce
        Supported protocols: RC-6
        Enabled protocols:
        Extra capabilities: <access denied>

Let me know what you get.

ir-keytable -t should dump any input the remote sends the receiver. I think the relationship between the devinput drivers, lirc, Lircmap.xml etc is getting all confused. My understanding thus far is that lirc modules are now included directly into the kernel, that driver translates the scancode received from the remote, into an event key. So lets say I hit 'right' on the stick. The kernel receives scancode 0x100007f and maps that to KEY_RIGHT (0xa006a) which is in turn interpreted by the operating system as you hitting the right arrow on any regular input device (keyboard).
(2012-03-29, 21:17)sparkie2640 Wrote:
(2012-03-28, 02:11)TwiztedIndian Wrote: UGH! I'm at my wits end... I've tried everything I can to the point that now I have buttons on my remote that did work that no longer work....

/cry

I just want this stoopid thing to work... Sad

If you run:

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Look for something on one of the N: lines that includes "iMon Panel" and show me what's on the I: lines above those. There are two different types of iMon receivers. One 'old' and one 'new' and they are both handled differently in XBMCuntu as compared to previous versions.

Sorry it took so long to reply... been a busy week.

Code:
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=15c2 Product=003c Version=0041
I've completely removed LIRC now and I have ir-keytable

ir-keytable spits out
Code:

and I get output from buttons on the remote if i run with a -t flag....

There are still lots of buttons that do not function on the Pad remote like the 'menu' button.
Also, is it at all possible to use the ol'green button MCE remote with the iMON receiver or would I -have- to use the USB receiver?

The reason I ask is because the Pad remote is super sensitive to the point of being more than a little annoying...
(2012-03-31, 02:26)TwiztedIndian Wrote: I've completely removed LIRC now and I have ir-keytable

ir-keytable spits out
Code:

and I get output from buttons on the remote if i run with a -t flag....

There are still lots of buttons that do not function on the Pad remote like the 'menu' button.
Also, is it at all possible to use the ol'green button MCE remote with the iMON receiver or would I -have- to use the USB receiver?

The reason I ask is because the Pad remote is super sensitive to the point of being more than a little annoying...

I have as of yet been unable to get certain keys on the remote working. Most notably the key to the right of the stick, which I use for the context menu in xbmc. The output you receive when running ir-keytables -t, does it correspond with all the buttons that work? Or do certain buttons give you no output at all?

I'm not sure about using the imon receiver with the ol green button. I don't receive any feedback from mine. But the imon receiver is a usb receiver as well.
Yeah the button I most miss is the one to the right of the pad.... Funny thing is I had it working at one point... but, in an effort to get more working like the color buttons I messed it up and not it does nothing in XMBC.... also, when I run -t I get nothing from that button but I do get output from the color buttons... they just don't do anything.

Yeah, I didn't know if using my old remote would be possible but I figure it would be worth asking... I do know you can program buttons on it but I'm not sure if you can program them all... And, you can do it by using the learning mode where you point the remotes at one another and do some fancy key pushing to teach the old MCE remote what you want it to do... I have the volume buttons on it setup to control my Z-5500 audio instead of using the XBMC which I just left at 100%. I did this by using the Z-5500 remote and programming the MCE remote with it... I'll have to do some digging and see if I can just program every button on the MCE to the appropriate buttons on the iMON Pad....
There is a way to adjust the sensitivity of the pad. It has something to do with the scancodes. Because it's pressure sensitive different pressures give different ranges in the scan codes.
it would be nice to make it pretty numb.... only problem there would be I found that mine is quite sensitive on the right side but on the left it requires about 3x the force and also it has a tendency to push the buttons adjacent to them if I press to hard.

Either way, I really wish we could find some documentation on setting these up more fully so we could get back our context menu and such...
I just did a complete reinstall on my machine with the 0038 receiver in it ... the context menu button works fine.

Code:
1333166433.963568: event MSC: scancode = 2000065
1333166433.963578: event key down: KEY_COMPOSE (0x007f)

And I can't find either 0x2000065 or KEY_COMPOSE in any of the key maps in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps

Go figure. LOL

And here's Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow respectively.

Code:
1333166648.303705: event MSC: scancode = 2b8515b7
1333166648.303713: event key down: KEY_VIDEO (0x0189)
1333166648.303714: event sync
1333166648.423752: event key up: KEY_VIDEO (0x0189)
1333166648.423754: event sync
1333166649.944521: event MSC: scancode = 299195b7
1333166649.944529: event key down: KEY_AUDIO (0x0188)
1333166649.944531: event sync
1333166650.024552: event key up: KEY_AUDIO (0x0188)
1333166650.024554: event sync
1333166650.536816: event MSC: scancode = 2ba115b7
1333166650.536823: event key down: KEY_IMAGES (0x01ba)
1333166650.536825: event sync
1333166650.680888: event key up: KEY_IMAGES (0x01ba)
1333166650.680890: event sync
1333166651.225152: event MSC: scancode = 28a515b7
1333166651.225159: event key down: KEY_TV (0x0179)
1333166651.225161: event sync
1333166651.409245: event key up: KEY_TV (0x0179)
1333166651.409247: event sync

As soon as I reboot, I lose the context key. ir-keytable -t stops delivering any output at all for that key. Makes me wonder how the hell you're supposed to map keys if it doesn't show you what it's receiving.

So, I created /etc/rc_keymaps/imon_pad and added:
Code:
# table imon_pad, type: OTHER
0x2000065 KEY_COMPOSE

Then /usr/bin/ir-keytable -w /etc/rc_keymaps/imon_pad and voila, context button works again.
Tomorrow I'll do a reinstall and get a full dump of every button that is working at the time XBMCbuntu first boots. That should solve most of the issues.
(2012-03-31, 00:34)sparkie2640 Wrote:
(2012-03-31, 00:01)gokudo Wrote: Power-on via remote power button worked after shutdown in the console. To do above steps I did leave xbmc. Now, after rebooting all the way up to xbmc however the power-on-remote function of my Antec box however stopped working, again, like xbmc is causing a switch to another IR channel in the firmware or something.. Sad And no remote keys are recognized in xbmc, too. I guess I have to create a Lircmap.xml from scratch now to get the keys recognized? Or did I miss some other things? Back in dharma my mce remote worked with the standard Lircmap.xml that's why I'm wondering.

The power on via remote is handled on the hardware level. There's a header that runs to the motherboard in between the power supply and receiver. That's what handles your power on. It's not dependent on software.

If it's not working after a reboot, run ir-keytable with no flags to see what it's using for a driver. With the 0038 you should get this:
Code:

With ffdc:
Code:
Driver imon, table rc-imon-mce
        Supported protocols: RC-6
        Enabled protocols:

Let me know what you get.

ir-keytable -t should dump any input the remote sends the receiver. I think the relationship between the devinput drivers, lirc, Lircmap.xml etc is getting all confused. My understanding thus far is that lirc modules are now included directly into the kernel, that driver translates the scancode received from the remote, into an event key. So lets say I hit 'right' on the stick. The kernel receives scancode 0x100007f and maps that to KEY_RIGHT (0xa006a) which is in turn interpreted by the operating system as you hitting the right arrow on any regular input device (keyboard).

Nice info, thanks. ir-keytable brings:

Code:
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event5) with:
        Enabled protocols:
Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event6) with:
        Driver budget_ci, table rc-tt-1500
        Supported protocols:
        Enabled protocols:

Maybe the problem is that it's not enabled or recognized as ffdc, cause I have in fact have a 0038, see my previous post. Maybe it's related to your problem. In fact right now without changing anything I don't get any response from ir-keytable -t either, but I *did* see the buttons right after I had it installed yesterday O.o I tried to purge and re-install ir-keympas, no luck. WTF is going here Sad

I will try to install Dharma again on a second partition just to see if it's not my IR reciever that stopped working somehow. The power-on function as a hardware built-in feature suddenly not working makes me nervous, maybe the whole thing is damaged.
(2012-03-31, 11:22)gokudo Wrote: Maybe the problem is that it's not enabled or recognized as ffdc, cause I have in fact have a 0038, see my previous post. Maybe it's related to your problem. In fact right now without changing anything I don't get any response from ir-keytable -t either, but I *did* see the buttons right after I had it installed yesterday O.o I tried to purge and re-install ir-keympas, no luck. WTF is going here Sad

I will try to install Dharma again on a second partition just to see if it's not my IR reciever that stopped working somehow. The power-on function as a hardware built-in feature suddenly not working makes me nervous, maybe the whole thing is damaged.

I know you have the 0038, I have both the FFDC and the 0038. I'm trying to help everyone (and myself) simultaneously get both working. Right now I am re-installing again to get a keytable dump at the time of power on. After installing XBMCbuntu the first time, it boots up into the stock configuration and I was able to get a response from every button on my remote. Rebooting the machine at that point, it comes back up and half the keys no longer work. I'm not sure what happens upon the first boot vs the second boot to cause these changes, but it's extremely easy for me to re-install and test to find out.
Here's the difference between the first boot, and the second boot as far as scan codes for the 0038 goes.

Code:
0x1010000 BTN_MOUSE
0x1010080 BTN_MOUSE
0x1020000 BTN_RIGHT
0x1020080 BTN_RIGHT
0x2000065 KEY_COMPOSE
0x2800000 KEY_CONTEXT_MENU
0x289115b7 KEY_POWER
0x28b715b7 KEY_COMPOSE
0x299395b7 KEY_EJECTCLOSECD
0x29b195b7 KEY_EJECTCD
0x29b715b7 KEY_DASHBOARD
0x2a9395b7 KEY_CYCLEWINDOWS
0x2ab195b7 KEY_MEDIA
0x2b8195b7 KEY_CONTEXT_MENU
0x2b8395b7 KEY_TIME
0x688301b7 BTN_MOUSE
0x688481b7 BTN_RIGHT

So dump that into /etc/rc_keymaps/imon_pad and insert it back with ir-keytable -w /etc/rc_keymaps/imon_pad and that should restore at least the button displaying in ir-keytables test output.
**UPDATED**
Finally. I have everything working on the 0038 & the FFDC receiver

Check what receiver you have:
Code:
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

The output will look like this:
Code:
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=15c2 Product=ffdc Version=0000
N: Name="iMON Remote (15c2:ffdc)"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.3-2/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.3/usb5/5-2/5-2:1.0/rc/rc0/input4
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event4
B: PROP=0
B: EV=100013
B: KEY=fff 0 0 400000 108fc322 29760c1 0 0 30000 4 119000 4186 14000801 809e9680 0 2000000 10004002
B: MSC=10

The I or N lines will contain your receiver type. There are newer ones that are higher than 0038 but I don't have one of those to test on.

Create or edit the following files [0038] & [FFDC]:
/etc/rc_keymaps/imon_pad (To restore missing buttons)
Code:
# table imon_pad, type: OTHER
0x1010000 BTN_MOUSE
0x1010080 BTN_MOUSE
0x1020000 BTN_RIGHT
0x1020080 BTN_RIGHT
0x2000065 KEY_COMPOSE
0x2800000 KEY_CONTEXT_MENU
0x289115b7 KEY_POWER
0x28b715b7 KEY_COMPOSE
0x299395b7 KEY_EJECTCLOSECD
0x29b195b7 KEY_EJECTCD
0x29b715b7 KEY_DASHBOARD
0x2a9395b7 KEY_CYCLEWINDOWS
0x2ab195b7 KEY_MEDIA
0x2b8195b7 KEY_CONTEXT_MENU
0x2b8395b7 KEY_TIME
0x688301b7 BTN_MOUSE
0x688481b7 BTN_RIGHT

/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml (To restore missing buttons, and change the default for 'Backspace' on the remote)
Code:
<lircmap>
  <remote device="linux-input-layer">
    <altname>cx23885_remote</altname>
    <altname>devinput</altname>
    <back>KEY_BACKSPACE</back>
    <title>KEY_COMPOSE</title>
    <start>KEY_MEDIA</start>
  </remote>
</lircmap>

/etc/rc.local (I removed exit 0 from rc.local)
Code:
/usr/bin/ir-keytable -w /etc/rc_keymaps/imon_pad

Configure lirc in devinput mode: (This step is unnecessary. You can uninstall lirc completely, it won't cause any harm if you complete this step)
Code:
dpkg-reconfigure lirc
Select "Linux input layer (/dev/input/eventX)
Select "None" (Unless you have a receiver to configure here for livetv)
Select "/dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_ffdc-event-if00" (Yours may be slightly different, as long as it ends in if00 you're fine)

Edit files on the FFDC only:
/etc/rc_maps.cfg
Code:
*       rc-imon-mce              /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/imon_mce  
change to:
*       rc-imon-mce              /lib/udev/rc_keymaps/imon_pad

Reboot [0038] & [FFDC].

For extra sensitive pads you can add this to rc.local:
Code:
/usr/bin/ir-keytable --protocol=Other
Your remote should be fully functional with what I deem the proper key configuration. If you disagree with my key configuration ... well ... you're wrong. Deal with it.

Seriously though, at this point if you don't like the way things are configured running irw should display output for *every* button on the remote. You can just edit /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Lircmap.xml and change it to your likings. The base configuration is located in /usr/share/xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml just search for devinput and it'll give you all the stock buttons. I don't really recommend editing the one in /usr/share/xbmc/system since updating xbmc at any point in the future could overwrite your file, where as the one in your userdata folder is yours to keep and play with.

sparkie..my friend...you're invited to a good old german beer Laugh

My hole remote is working right now! You're the best thank you very much!!!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iMON Pad - Need Reliable Info3