Better support for multiple profiles within the server APIs
Hello everyone, I'm José Ignacio Amelivia.
I'm interested on appying for this task, I'm a final year computer engenieering student from Spain.
I have experience in several programming languages, databases, software engenieering, and I have already contributed to some open source projects.

I will start playing with the code and taking a look to the documentation in order to get a better view.
Any recommendations for the kickstart?

Thanks
At the moment profiles are stored in profiles.xml where each profile can either have their own (independent) database, or can share the master users' database. In addition, the master user can then lock a particular path, which means the subuser, even if they share the database, may not have access to any media discovered in those paths.

For the latter, there's some (IMO quite silly) checks all through the video and music database code to check whether the user has read or write (or both) support to the paths that the video files come from, so that we can filter them out of the list.

I would suggest your first bet is to play with profiles yourself as a user, and see what is good and bad. Then, look at the code that's implementing it, and figure out a better way to do things. There was a patch on trac a while back looking at moving profile definition into the database(s), so that may be one thing to look at.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Better support for multiple profiles within the server APIs0