• 11(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
(2012-05-31, 17:16)e8hffff Wrote: If the XBMC community keeps losing opportunities it will simply become obsolete by other suppliers.

Well fortunately XBMC is open source, so I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we wait with barely contained anticipation for you to release your port Wink
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
(2012-05-31, 17:16)e8hffff Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 16:52)gimli Wrote: Interesting point. The AppleTV2 port is quite popular. Wonder how that comes. The AppleTV2 has less ports than the RPi. *wonder*

IR Remote+pickup?
Optical Audio?
Multiple USB Ports? (for say adding dongles and other add-ins (remote mice and keyboards,Wii controller+pickup etc))
Metal RF shielding?
Huhout of the box standardsHuh suitable for XBMC in the general home

If the XBMC community keeps losing opportunities it will simply become obsolete by other suppliers.

The point is. You wanna have an XBMC port for A10 which isn't done yet. With your arguments you do not speed it up. Start programming and help, so you get it faster.
(2012-05-31, 17:26)Kode Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 17:16)e8hffff Wrote: If the XBMC community keeps losing opportunities it will simply become obsolete by other suppliers.

Well fortunately XBMC is open source, so I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we wait with barely contained anticipation for you to release your port Wink

+1
(2012-05-31, 17:26)gimli Wrote: The point is. You wanna have an XBMC port for A10 which isn't done yet. With your arguments you do not speed it up. Start programming and help, so you get it faster.

Sadly I have other coding projects on, so I'm at your mercy, (smirking).

The RPi is most likely heaps of fun but when posters are saying buy it instead of a Mele or other devices that are more suitable for XBMC, then there is something wrong.

I still have an XBOX 1 with XBMC as a media player. It is/was a classic. I now want to get the next winner and I'm hoping it's XBMC. I do not want to build a power-guzzler, heater, room hogger, noisy fan, HTPC. The RPi isn't suitable. The Mele is.

In ten+ years, will our memories be, how great XBMC was in many homes, or will it simply be a memory of a mishmash open source project. XMBC project needs a platform of choice, the Mele or hybrids could be it!
Come on guys were all friends here, no need to get get upset with each other. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and there is no such thing as a right or wrong one...and i certainly dont think we should start picking fights with the XBMC developers just because they are working on different ports at the minute.

Gimli, you can make that plus 2+ as i certainly appreciate the work you guys are doing, and the way i see it, i'm in the same boat waiting for the mali drivers as i am waiting to get my hands on a RPI Smile

Got a mele a2000 and a RPI on order so look forwarding to playing with XBMC on Both Smile
(2012-05-31, 17:53)Ribuck Wrote: Come on guys were all friends here, no need to get get upset with each other.

I hope there's no offence being had. I'm only rallying up the war for XBMC to be the leader.

If XBMC goes viral with a particular hardware platform then it's sure to attract hoards of coders and hardware support. There is something special happening right now and the opportunity needs to be taken. Take too long and some other means to play media will dominate. Possible from the likes of Google, Apple, TV-manufacturers etc.
(2012-05-31, 18:07)e8hffff Wrote: There is something special happening right now and the opportunity needs to be taken. Take too long and some other means to play media will dominate. Possible from the likes of Google, Apple, TV-manufacturers etc.

What if they called a race and no one ran?

As gimli said, the XBMC developers are doing this for the fun of it, not to out-do or to be faster / better / earlier to the market than someone. And the good thing about having fun is that there's always an opportunity for that.
What do you think guys? Has an A10 Allwinner cpu (or a similar >1Ghz ARM) enough power to downmix all kinds of audio formats (including DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD)?
I think the RPi is a great entry in the XBMC world, as they have a huge community. People will try it and then maybe look for an even better hardware to run XBMC.

I'm not a developer, so I have no clue how much better / worse the RPi is compared to the A10 devices. XBMC for the RPi is amazing, keep up the great work !!!

Personally I (I have both devices, the RPi here and the Mele on the way) would prefer the Mele devices as they are a more complete package, including case, remote and SATA.
Just found another A10 based MediaPlayer:

http://dx.com/p/mini-android-2-3-hd-1080...-tf-134686

edit: ok, seems this one is already known, but now available on DX
It is not about RPi, it is not about Allwinner, A10, Mali-400, yes, no, left or right. It is about ARM taking over the world!!!

ARM is fun, the RPi is nice to play with and easy to start with, the Mele A1000 is nice to play with and start with as it has easy UART access, but in the end this two devices might not be even the end product.

But they do give us all the tools to play with new stuff and learn about new CPU / GPU combos. To have enough fun in our spare time to work on XBMC.

Gimli, you are doing a good job.
It's interesting how divisive these devices are proving on this thread today. I think choice is great and, right now rather selfishly, I'm glad gimli is still focusing in the Rpi as I'm having quite a bit of fun testing the various xbmc distros and builds on mine. Does this mean I'm in one camp over the other, no not at all. I'll probably get Pi's for some tv's, A10 boxes for others and maybe that to be released box :-) when available.

All this will be based on my requirements for each tv I intend to connect them to.

I think this is a very exciting time for xbmc and I just don't think other media solutions come close on a cost, functionality, user experience and extendibility.

Rob
Anyway, why doesn't a manufacturer port the xbmc? All of them are thinking about Android. I think the first would be a big winner.
(2012-05-31, 20:21)pszab Wrote: Anyway, why doesn't a manufacturer port the xbmc? All of them are thinking about Android. I think the first would be a big winner.

Chinese manufactures are really good at hardware but quite poor at software. Most of the software are either provided by the chip provider or third party company.

Porting a really complex project like xbmc to a new platform really takes time (reads money) and most of the manufactures are not willing to spend. On the plus side we get cheap hardware and with willing developers one day we will see xbmc running in every home.
yet they have some of the most advanced coders in the world making malware & viruses, go figure......lol.

Anyway back on topic........it wont be long before we see a driver out in the wild as we have Mali Developer & lima who have released source code, so it;s only a matter of time waiting patiently.

Would also be nice in the meantime to maybe see some something like the Mele a2000 out there but with 1gb ram and maybe more gpu cores, basically like the FXI cotton Candy but in a Mele set-top box format. That would be my dream HTPC.

Rich.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15