• 8(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
Gimlis work - is it still private or has it been publiced? Id love to poke around while waiting for my device Smile
It's in a VERY early stage at this point. Normally we don't comment on stuff at that point to prevent people from asking when they can see stuff, but it slipped out this time, so now you guys know... BUT... please be patient! If you bug Gimli too much then he'll go back in his hole and we'll have four more weeks of winter.
FYI, there are currently a few limitations on the Android side of this system which would make it a poor platform for XBMC. Mainly the lack of video mode presets matching 23.976/59.940 (only 24.0 and 60.0 is offered) and PCM stereo only output via HDMI. Ethernet performance is also not that great for streaming large BD isos. From looking at the source code the last few weeks, it's unclear to me if these are software or hardware issues that can be worked around.
(2012-05-25, 17:47)wizziwig Wrote: FYI, there are currently a few limitations on the Android side of this system which would make it a poor platform for XBMC. Mainly the lack of video mode presets matching 23.976/59.940 (only 24.0 and 60.0 is offered) and PCM stereo only output via HDMI. Ethernet performance is also not that great for streaming large BD isos. From looking at the source code the last few weeks, it's unclear to me if these are software or hardware issues that can be worked around.

24.0 and 60.0 is more than enough for me. My TV can only accept PCM stereo. Conclusion: A1000/2000 will be an ideal platform for XBMC.
Ethernet should be fine as well. 10/100 is more than enough to stream a bluray ISO.
(2012-05-25, 17:47)wizziwig Wrote: FYI, there are currently a few limitations on the Android side of this system which would make it a poor platform for XBMC. Mainly the lack of video mode presets matching 23.976/59.940 (only 24.0 and 60.0 is offered) and PCM stereo only output via HDMI. Ethernet performance is also not that great for streaming large BD isos. From looking at the source code the last few weeks, it's unclear to me if these are software or hardware issues that can be worked around.

LOL here we go again. It is an ARM 1,2 Ghz, Mali-400 GPU, STB alike system !!!

You have to compare this devices against systems like the RPi, Not something including an i7 and a high end video card. Each of this ARM based systems has it's flaws. The RPi is released with (for now) only one hardware decoder license (Mpeg4). This one has all the decoders, but might still be a bit flaky on the driver side.

But you buy one for under $75,- and they will get cheaper, but look at it for what it is.
see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1111527 for proof of mali on arm.
AMAZING !!

(2012-05-25, 17:47)wizziwig Wrote: ... PCM stereo only output via HDMI....

@davilla: Do you know if this really a hardware limitation ?
It seems like there is a RACE now on who can bring out XBMC images for the ARM/Mali400 based devices. The company or team or programmer+hacker that does it will get instant recognition and be seen as the source for purchases and downloads.

So many Chinese companies are now jumping onto making media boxes based on this hardware level.

The Mele Ax000 is not alone now in the market.
(2012-05-26, 00:59)e8hffff Wrote: It seems like there is a RACE now on who can bring out XBMC images for the ARM/Mali400 based devices. The company or team or programmer+hacker that does it will get instant recognition and be seen as the source for purchases and downloads.

I don't think it is a race, more like a common goal. ARM is taking over the small and quite computer market. This market is also commonly used by all us HTPC freaks. ARM = Cheap, ARM = Energy saving, ARM = (most of the time) fanless and therefor very quite. So IF the best mediacenter software could run on it one way or the other, it will definetely boost sales. Face it, if a ARM box for under $100,- can play all your media, why buy those expensive HTPC's. Yes, for doing more then just some media watching you will still buy a good system. likely the system in your living room, but all the other TV's in the house might now also being connected to XBMC.

The road is still long, though. It started with AppleTV and the relative expensive pandaboards and beagleboards (they are not designed to be dedicated mediaplayers), then the raspberry Pi and now the A1X/Mali boxes.

(2012-05-26, 00:59)e8hffff Wrote: So many Chinese companies are now jumping onto making media boxes based on this hardware level.

The Mele Ax000 is not alone now in the market.
They also see the enormous wave coming. If you are smart, you jump on your board, trying to catch that wave. The oppurtunities for those companies are huge.
You guys have no idea how awesome things are about to get :D
(2012-05-26, 08:54)j1nx Wrote: They also see the enormous wave coming. If you are smart, you jump on your board, trying to catch that wave. The opportunities for those companies are huge.

The fact is that the company that releases a flash image first will take the glory and therefore sales. Example if Mele has an XBMC + Ubuntu image first, then people will simple buy Mele instead of risking buying other devices, so there is a race on now.

(2012-05-26, 09:07)Ned Scott Wrote: You guys have no idea how awesome things are about to get Big Grin

oh you tease :-)

how long will we have to wait for an announcement?
Cool video demo, it seems lots of interesting stuff in the pipeline.

XBMC on Arm STB's will definitely affect the traditional media player market, I wonder if Realtek/Sigma Designs will survive in it or throw in the towel as pretty much everyone is going to recommend XBMC STB's on every forum once they are out there. Sigma Designs seemed to know which way the wind was blowing but their next gen chipsets running XBMC are no where to be seen.

But it's really their own fault if they get swept away as Realtek and Sigma have twiddled their thumbs for far too long.
January last year there was some buzz generated by xbmc & sigma announcement. http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/12/more-about-sigma/

But sigma seems to be quiet ever since. It's still not too late if they start working on xbmc integration again.

(2012-05-26, 12:39)Starstream Wrote: Cool video demo, it seems lots of interesting stuff in the pipeline.

XBMC on Arm STB's will definitely affect the traditional media player market, I wonder if Realtek/Sigma Designs will survive in it or throw in the towel as pretty much everyone is going to recommend XBMC STB's on every forum once they are out there. Sigma Designs seemed to know which way the wind was blowing but their next gen chipsets running XBMC are no where to be seen.

But it's really their own fault if they get swept away as Realtek and Sigma have twiddled their thumbs for far too long.

• 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15