• 32(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
(2012-07-04, 01:41)Speedst3r Wrote: If you want to take a very high-level view, A10 is generally for STBs, A13 for tablets. There are exceptions of course.

I concur with you hans, the A10 is certainly more interesting, particularly Mele's implementation (A1000/2000) as it has all the features exposed.

Indeed! Allwinner decided to create the A13 to get an even better market share in the tablet world. HDMI and Sata are hardly used in tablet, so by creating the same SoC without those extra stuff, you can bring down the costs even further. There are now 7"tablets based on the A13 which sell for ~$55,-

but HDMI is heavely used on tablets, as well is the A10 on tablets, there lots and lots of tablet models with A10, and some are very cheap, even less than a Tvbox....

A13 is just to provide something cheaper and to kill VIA8650 already... removing of HDMI support was just to avoid lossing A10 sells, thats pretty much obious.
But at this point i hope AllWinner is developing a new chip to replace A10... the A10 is gona be out of tablet market soon.
The dual-core dual core RK3306 and AML8726-MX will be out later this year. AllWinner will hopefully have a competitor for these.
(2012-07-04, 11:38)Shivansps Wrote: but HDMI is heavely used on tablets, as well is the A10 on tablets, there lots and lots of tablet models with A10, and some are very cheap, even less than a Tvbox....

To be honest, I agree with them and don't see the point in connecting your tablet to you TV as it already has a screen. I have a tablet with HDMI, but honestly never used it. I guess the majority doesn't so skipping it, reducing the SoC price settings looks smart to me.
Its more symbolic than it is usefull, but it still have his uses(A10 with a broken touch will still work as a pc), also is a must have feature for any +120usd tablet, the A13 is targeting sub-100usd tablet models, it makes sence to remove it, also is the only thing that keeps the A10 in expensive tablets, A13 with HDMI whould have made pointless to use A10 in +100usd tablets.

But A10 will be dead in tablets by the end of the year anyway and A13 will son take VIA8650 place. So yeah, A13 will remain in the very very cheap chinese mini-netbook and tablets, and A10 has a long life ahead in TVBoxes...
I expect to see some A10 replacement soon, unless they dont care tablet market.

BTW, AML8726-M6 ITS already out, Novo 7 Aurora 2 and Elf 2 have them...
(2012-07-04, 14:31)j1nx Wrote: To be honest, I agree with them and don't see the point in connecting your tablet to you TV as it already has a screen. I have a tablet with HDMI, but honestly never used it. I guess the majority doesn't so skipping it, reducing the SoC price settings looks smart to me.

I doubt XBMC users in general are using the hdmi out feature on tablets all that much - we already have a slick, convenient way to watch digital content on our TVs. For most people, though, the presence of hdmi is a great way to do just that.
(2012-07-05, 04:21)fasteddy Wrote:
(2012-07-04, 14:31)j1nx Wrote: To be honest, I agree with them and don't see the point in connecting your tablet to you TV as it already has a screen. I have a tablet with HDMI, but honestly never used it. I guess the majority doesn't so skipping it, reducing the SoC price settings looks smart to me.

I doubt XBMC users in general are using the hdmi out feature on tablets all that much - we already have a slick, convenient way to watch digital content on our TVs. For most people, though, the presence of hdmi is a great way to do just that.

[offtopic]
Im using it quite often when traveling abroad, I stream my content from my home server via (oh so controversial to say) PLEX to my tab (an Sanei N10, running Allwinner A10 SOC) in my hotell room which is hooked to the Room TV

Its a damn shame that XBMC dosnt have a standalone server on its own Sad

Sorry for beeing offtopic
[/offtopic]
(2012-06-29, 12:24)maiza Wrote: do we have ETA ?

After do a bit of research for, I have to say It may not be happening very soon, I know it's a little disappointed, I do. But that's base on my research on the progress of XBMC-Team's Github repositories. They have done a lot of progress on omxplayer, the OpenMax framework which XBMC for RaspberryPi is relied on. the most important pieces libbcm_host.so referred by DllBCM.h and libopenmaxil.so by DllOMX.h, they are the code links the open source and closed source driver together. without these you can not expect XBMC to do too much useful thing on a related board. I appreciated RaspberryPi foundation contributed their driver and more important the header files link up the stuffs. but for Allwinner A10 chips, there is nothing about cedar library there or any video decoding for other chip like Amlogic also missing, By the way Amlogic has their proprietary decoding technology and they quite tight about it, no much information available. I guess the demo on their board maybe restrict to the agreement, so developer can not open up the code.

We have been expect too much on the Mali400MP itself which has not too much things to do with porting the XBMC, it only renders image and XBMC's user interface, RaspberryPi happens to have the VideoCore IV chip can do both video decoding and 3D rendering, other chips all has different video processor, although they can has Mali-400, that does not means XBMC can do HW decoding on those chips, unless the chip makers can really open up their drivers to XBMC community, at least provide binary blob and header files like RaspberryPi did amazing job to help XBMC and any other open source projects, most important piece is Xorg acceleration driver. That also help those chip maker open to the broader market. ultimately sale more chips and boards. Just see how wonderful RaspberryPi have done. The market is well beyond their expectation especially when it runs XBMC, just ask their reseller Element14 and RC online how popular it is recently! I am waited for 3 months just got one. now they say any new order still 2 months waiting!

I really wish Allwinner don't missing the boat here and other chips like Amlogic as well. now we all expect these chips to run XBMC. once RaspberryPI get spec up to 1G plus speed and add flash memory. they will take the market for sure.

I maybe wrong for those things. I just start to dip it deeply.

(2012-07-06, 07:02)rere34lm Wrote: After do a bit of research for, I have to say It may not be happening very soon, I know it's a little disappointed, I do. But that's base on my research on the progress of XBMC-Team's Github repositories. They have done a lot of progress on omxplayer, the OpenMax framework which XBMC for RaspberryPi is relied on. the most important pieces libbcm_host.so referred by DllBCM.h and libopenmaxil.so by DllOMX.h, they are the code links the open source and closed source driver together. without these you can not expect XBMC to do too much useful thing on a related board. I appreciated RaspberryPi foundation contributed their driver and more important the header files link up the stuffs. but for Allwinner A10 chips, there is nothing about cedar library there or any video decoding for other chip like Amlogic also missing, By the way Amlogic has their proprietary decoding technology and they quite tight about it, no much information available. I guess the demo on their board maybe restrict to the agreement, so developer can not open up the code.

We have been expect too much on the Mali400MP itself which has not too much things to do with porting the XBMC, it only renders image and XBMC's user interface, RaspberryPi happens to have the VideoCore IV chip can do both video decoding and 3D rendering, other chips all has different video processor, although they can has Mali-400, that does not means XBMC can do HW decoding on those chips, unless the chip makers can really open up their drivers to XBMC community, at least provide binary blob and header files like RaspberryPi did amazing job to help XBMC and any other open source projects, most important piece is Xorg acceleration driver. That also help those chip maker open to the broader market. ultimately sale more chips and boards. Just see how wonderful RaspberryPi have done. The market is well beyond their expectation especially when it runs XBMC, just ask their reseller Element14 and RC online how popular it is recently! I am waited for 3 months just got one. now they say any new order still 2 months waiting!

I really wish Allwinner don't missing the boat here and other chips like Amlogic as well. now we all expect these chips to run XBMC. once RaspberryPI get spec up to 1G plus speed and add flash memory. they will take the market for sure.

Not all work is done on github, not all work is done on the Team XBMC github, and not all github branches are publicly viewable.
(2012-07-06, 08:53)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-07-06, 07:02)rere34lm Wrote: After do a bit of research for, I have to say It may not be happening very soon, I know it's a little disappointed, I do. But that's base on my research on the progress of XBMC-Team's Github repositories. They have done a lot of progress on omxplayer, the OpenMax framework which XBMC for RaspberryPi is relied on. the most important pieces libbcm_host.so referred by DllBCM.h and libopenmaxil.so by DllOMX.h, they are the code links the open source and closed source driver together. without these you can not expect XBMC to do too much useful thing on a related board. I appreciated RaspberryPi foundation contributed their driver and more important the header files link up the stuffs. but for Allwinner A10 chips, there is nothing about cedar library there or any video decoding for other chip like Amlogic also missing, By the way Amlogic has their proprietary decoding technology and they quite tight about it, no much information available. I guess the demo on their board maybe restrict to the agreement, so developer can not open up the code.

Not all work is done on github, not all work is done on the Team XBMC github, and not all github branches are publicly viewable.

+1
I just wanted to take this oppertunity to thank the XBMC team for their great work already and for the effort they will put in from now on. My A2000 is on the way and can't wait to get my hands on it. Only thing I regret is that I can't help out. Thanks!
So what are peoples thoughts on the following:

http://www.in4dealz.com/deals/MK802-Andr...-600017/19

I bought an ATV3 but am starting to give up hope it will be jailbroken. The above seems like a good deal but I am wondering if I should go A2000 and have 1GB of RAM. Or is 512MB okay if I really just want to use it for MKV playback?

AFAIK both the A2000 and A1000 only have 512 MB DDR3 memory. The mk802 is available in different flavors, with 512MB or 1GB DDR3.
It depends on what you prefer to have. If you really need sata and ethernet then the a2000 is probably a better option. If you care a lot about size then a dongle version like the mk802 is the way to go for you.
To answer your question if 512 MB will be enough? probably... yes, the rasp pi has 256 MB and it is running xbmc fine. It depends on what other stuff you want to run in parallel I think
Badabeezy, also note there were rumours of issues with the electronics on the Mk802 devices which could cause damage to your tv. They basically took short cuts on the circuitry and missed out some form of hdmi protection.

You would be better off with the oval elephant stick which is similar size to the mk802, but the main difference is that the oval elephant people worked out a deal with linaro, so there will be be hardware acceleration support for this oval elephant stick not long after release.

With regards to the mele box, this is more suited as a set-top tv box, as it has a lot more connectivity options, including VGA and optical audio out for surround sound systems.

Just comes down to what you want to do with it. Check out j1nx place web site for info on the oval elephant and speak to j1nx as I think he is going to be actively involved in it's development.

Rich.
When XBMC gets ported to Allwinner A10, is it supposed to work in all kinds of A10 devices? Because I don't know if I should get a Mele or one like this http://www.ovalelephant.com/p-2062-mini-...b-ddr3-ram (saw it on j1nx's blog)
I don't need the remote (I have a logitech harmony and probably will have to get an IR receiver), SATA, ethernet, composite, optical out
This smaller one doesn't has this stuff, but has 1gb instead of 512mb and is the same price ($74 + $19.90 for S&H). It already comes with a wireless mouse and an USB Hub (hope it is powered). And it doesn't seems to have that HDMI issue from MK802.
But I need to know if everything that will works with Mele will work with that one too, I don't want an android brick in my house.
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15