• 39(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
d1dd1,

I don't have any information, it's just an opinion. I just think if pivios has invested in the development of xbmc for their device, it's very unlikely they are going to want gimli to develop for other competitor platforms, which is a bit of a disappointment.

I'm pretty sure that Pivos benefits more from XBMC than the other way around. Pivos being a sponsor doesn't mean they have anything to say about the development. Also, with xbmc being open-source there is no way to stop anyone (with the capabilities) from porting xbmc to other devices.
(2012-07-15, 12:45)Snippo Wrote: I'm pretty sure that Pivos benefits more from XBMC than the other way around. Pivos being a sponsor doesn't mean they have anything to say about the development. Also, with xbmc being open-source there is no way to stop anyone (with the capabilities) from porting xbmc to other devices.

+1
(2012-07-15, 11:41)Ribuck Wrote: As a message to gimli & xbmc team, I mean no disrespect and I know you guys work hard and I do appreciate your hard work as I use xbmc on my pc, so please don't take my comments as a personal attack as they aren't meant to be, I am just expressing my feeling about the hardware acceleration being done for a sole manufacturer which I don't agree with for a open source app.

I you buy the devs all the different kinds of hardware that is out there it will go a lot faster to support hardware acceleration for different kind of boxes.

Development has been done on a Pivos box but that doesn't mean it will be restricted to that. As clearly stated in the press release that the source code has been made public so a lot of eyes can look at the code and perhaps some non team dev can submit patches to support more hardware. The true meaning of open source..

(2012-07-15, 12:19)Ribuck Wrote: d1dd1,
I don't have any information, it's just an opinion. I just think if pivios has invested in the development of xbmc for their device, it's very unlikely they are going to want gimli to develop for other competitor platforms, which is a bit of a disappointment.
Nobody owns gimli (except his wife perhaps Tongue )
So he can develop/work on what he wants
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Gimli, swearing doesn't solve anything especially if younger kids are following this thread.

I had an opinion, and it doesn't matter if it's right or wrong..........that's why they are called opinions.

If it's upset you, then I'll happily say sorry as it wasn't my intention.

Edit, I take it back, I won't apologise after the childish immature pm he sent me, acting like a petulant child having a tantrum. Grow up.
(2012-07-15, 13:10)Ribuck Wrote: Gimli, swearing doesn't solve anything especially if younger kids are following this thread.

I had an opinion, and it doesn't matter if it's right or wrong..........that's why they are called opinions.

well it's definitely wrong Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-07-15, 13:10)Ribuck Wrote: Gimli, swearing doesn't solve anything especially if younger kids are following this thread.

If it's upset you, then I'll happily say sorry as it wasn't my intention.

Edit, I take it back, I won't apologise after the childish immature pm he sent me, acting like a petulant child having a tantrum. Grow up.

If you say so. You just succeded that my intrest on the A10 went to 0. I told you others will suffer because of you.
Like I said everyone, it's going to be along time before we see anything on anything but the pivios. Looks like my point has just been proven, and all very convenient.

Yeah everyone it's all my fault........

(2012-07-15, 13:47)Ribuck Wrote: Like I said everyone, it's going to be along time before we see anything on anything but the pivios. Looks like my point has just been proven, and all very convenient.

Yeah everyone it's all my fault........

Being a self fulfilling prophecy isn't impressive or something to be proud of. I'm sorry, I don't know how you can't see the sponsorship by Pivos as anything but good. As far as I know, not that I have any insight other than what I've picked up from the blog and forum posts, is that only theuni works for Pivos. The rest of the development team doesn't and continues to be independent of them. So, even if Pivos put theuni on some sort of contract at work that says he can't work on ports to other devices, it can't extend to the xbmc dev team. So the rest of the developers, like gimli, can all work on whatever port they enjoy messing with in their spare time.

They were paid to write an open source android port of xbmc, how in the hell is that anything but good for everybodyHuh?

Personally, you're a moron if you bought a device that didn't do what you wanted it to, EXPECTING somebody else to write a software for it that you want for free and are now upset at the remote possibility they may not do that. There were no guarantees a port would ever work on your device. If they can't get the drivers sorted out, which thus far have not been openly released, then it probably won't happen.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

Looks like Gooseberry is selling 500 boards to public: http://gooseberry.atspace.co.uk/
Gimli, I can fully understand your frustration.

But please think about it again. Here are a lot of good guys who are really amazed about this project.
Don't care about this troll.

Maybe someone should create dev threads where only people with the willingness and ability to help should have write privileges.

Take your time, no need to release any information early. As you worked on it for a long time, you have probably huge arm and Allwinner knowledge.

I will definitly donate for this next month (after my holidays) no matter if you release something or not.
(2012-07-15, 14:40)d1dd1 Wrote: Gimli, I can fully understand your frustration.

But please think about it again. Here are a lot of good guys who are really amazed about this project.
Don't care about this troll.

Maybe someone should create dev threads where only people with the willingness and ability to help should have write privileges.

Take your time, no need to release any information early. As you worked on it for a long time, you have probably huge arm and Allwinner knowledge.

I will definitly donate for this next month (after my holidays) no matter if you release something or not.

I agreed and will do the same as aboveSmile Keep up the good work Gimli, whatever you decide to do
Hello, I know all the ICS stuff is a little bit off-topic but does the ICS image "homlet_4.0_v1.0_20120609" have gpu acceleration ?
Don't hit me, I know that video decoding is VPU matter (thanks gimli) ^^ But I like old games emulation and the one I tried is a little bit laggy.
(2012-07-15, 11:41)Ribuck Wrote: As a message to gimli & xbmc team, I mean no disrespect and I know you guys work hard and I do appreciate your hard work as I use xbmc on my pc, so please don't take my comments as a personal attack as they aren't meant to be, I am just expressing my feeling about the hardware acceleration being done for a sole manufacturer which I don't agree with for a open source app.

Allow me to make something perfectly clear, there is NO exclusivity to Pivos. It just happens that an existing XBMC internal player (amlplayer) was ready make the jump into XBMC for Android with very little work. This player has been under development for six months for another Pivos related project. Pivos/Amlogic is 'special' in that there is a libamlplayer library that we can directly tap to get to both audio AND video hardware acceleration. This internal player will soon get pull/reg'ed into android mainline for inclusion.

Video hardware acceleration under Android is a major bitch, the existing APIs are insufficient/non-existing to allow us to use them for HD playback so we have to resort to diving into Android private APIs for generic device usage and that means OpenMax. For Pivos, we got lucky and could bypass all this.

I'll also add, that XBMC for Android has been under development for a very long time. There have been many times when we have hit a major road block that looks like it would kill the project but we eventually came up with solutions. It's only been in the past month that everything started to come together and and XBMC for Android became a reality. Once we reached this point, then I looked at transplanting amlplayer and got very lucky.
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15