• 79(current)
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?
Well i did it in a virtual linux on my head Tongue
I ran into ALSA problems, which I see were already addressed here, so I'll try those workarounds. To get shutdown and reboot working on j1nx's 12.08, I had to follow the suggestions here to disable the prompt that couldn't be resolved - http://askubuntu.com/questions/1190/how-...n-password
how do things look performance-wise? 720p 1080p playback? menu browsing with lightweight / heavy skin?
I don't have anything running yet, unforunately. XBMC make still fails to find ALSA and disables support for it. Any suggestions?

Edit - Fixed, I didn't have hardfloat set in the depends.mk

I also had to source build taglib to get things to proceed, but now I'm building again and hopefully will have a working product this time
on Linaro 12.08? if i remember well ALSA fails in configure too, but since its not critical it keeps going, so i guess you have to download alsa lib source, compile and install, then run xbmca10/tools/a10/depends/xbmc/ make again.

Im not sure but no idea of WTH is wrong on Linaro 12.08! lots of broken packages.
(2012-11-03, 00:07)Shivansps Wrote: on Linaro 12.08? if i remember well ALSA fails in configure too, but since its not critical it keeps going, so i guess you have to download alsa lib source, compile and install, then run xbmca10/tools/a10/depends/xbmc/ make again.

Im not sure but no idea of WTH is wrong on Linaro 12.08! lots of broken packages.

actually manually setting hardfloat to 1 in the depends.mk and using the ALSA tweak listed four pages back made ALSA configure okay on xbmc make, and most of the package errors that other people have been running into, I've mostly dodged, so I might have a good build on my hands soon (if I upload it, I'm going to be lazy and do a direct image of my 32gb card, apologies to those using something smaller, I'll shrink it eventually if all turns out well).
Hi there,

I have just created an account to post my feedback regarding xbmc on A10.
First of all, I would like to thank A LOT empatzero for his work at integrating cedarx in XBMC.

As far as I am concerned, I bought a cheap LY-F1 clone a few weeks ago to hack with A10.
Getting a fully working mediacenter on my linux install was one of the last missing piece and it seems to very close.

On my device, I run :
- A linux sunxi kernel (branch wip/linux-sunxi-3.0/next_mali in which I merged the last commits from the main branch)
- A armhf linaro rootfs (the 20120923 one)

I built empatzero git tree from the 30th of october with no major troubles : I didn't have the same issues as described in this thread. (I simply had to install the required *-dev packages to be able to build in the linaro RFS...).

The resulting XBMC boots fine :
- confluence skin runs fine on my tablet but the resolution of the tablet is low (800x480) : I still have to test how it plays when I use it on HDMI output
- I am able to decode and play HD H264 videos (720 and 1080) through the network (by upnp shares).
Note that I use a AX88772 USB to Ethernet converter to connect to my lan and stream the videos as the tablet has no Ethernet

The rendering is quite fluid (fps almost never drops below 20)
The maximum CPU usage (when decoding 1080 video and displaying subtitles) is less than 50% (to evaluate it I had to use a idle process as xbmc seems to use all cpu if nothing else requires cpu)
On the video rendering side, I am confident that it should be the same on HDMI output. Indeed after some reversing, I think that the video rendering is not performed via a GL texture.
But, as for the android version, the hw decoder puts the decoded pictures in FBM buffers (which are allocated in VE memory section), then xbmc notifies the kernel thanks to DISP_CMD_VIDEO_SET_FB ioctl and the picture will be displayed on the lowest layer at one of the coming vertical sync (The video back end also taking care of scaling) : There is no copy handled by the main cpu nor rendering of GL texture in this process, It just seems to be quite an optimal use of the hw platform...
I may be wrong but what I describe is my current understanding following an analyze of the available source of libcedarv and of the sunxi kernel display drivers...

Yet everything is not perfect :
There are still a few issues depending on the H264 videos. With some of them the whole screen turns pink or white for a little duration and then correct colors come back...
I have not been able to spot the difference between videos which play fine and others but I will investigate...
I have already checked that the issue is not in hardware decoder (I have another android A10 based tablet and I played one of these problematic video with MXplayer -Hw decoding enabled- and it does not exhibit the same issue...)
I also experienced some Audio sync issues (that were solved by setting a manual audio offset...)

I will post updates of my coming tests if there is some interest...

Best regards,

wolf: have you tried the advancedsettings hacks for dirtyregion? this should reduce drastically the CPU usage of the box which might give you a little more oomph...
Hi Vaevictus2,

I have just given a try to dirty region setting, I have to set 3 as algorithmdirtyregions value otherwise I experience blinking issues (so it looks like the A10 driver clear buffer contents).
As expected, it indeed improves CPU usage on the main GUI when the image does not change...

Regards
cross compiling from my ubuntu 12.10 virtual box and I get the same error as rsheiha

checking for boost/shared_ptr.hpp... yes
configure: Using Python 2.7
checking for main in -lEGL... no
configure: error: Could not find a required library. Please see the README for your platform.
make: *** [all] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/craig/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends/xbmc'

any ideas guys?
I think this might be of interest. This project is offering Linux preinstalled on A10 devices, http://pengpod.com and there is a preorder going on http://www.indiegogo.com/pengpod

One of the supported packages is XBMC with hardware acceleration.
(2012-11-04, 00:22)Vaevictus2 Wrote: cross compiling from my ubuntu 12.10 virtual box and I get the same error as rsheiha

checking for boost/shared_ptr.hpp... yes
configure: Using Python 2.7
checking for main in -lEGL... no
configure: error: Could not find a required library. Please see the README for your platform.
make: *** [all] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/craig/xbmca10/tools/a10/depends/xbmc'

any ideas guys?

Are you using the guide here http://linux-sunxi.org/XBMC? Did you set the root location in depends.mk and build the dependencies first? I helped write that guide off of my cross compile and I'd like to help other finish theirs and see what needs to be added.

yes, in the depends directory I successfully complete make, then after I do make -C xbmc
I think my armhf rootfs is missing python-libs because the python libs are definitely there in the ubuntu (already done sudo apt-get install python-dev)
I had a problem with a corrupted python install on one of my early attempted builds and it was very difficult to get it to reinstall python cleanly afterwards. However it could be the library just isn't exactly where it expects it. With several libraries I had to move them, or a symlink up a directory so they could be found.
(2012-11-04, 16:55)Vaevictus2 Wrote: yes, in the depends directory I successfully complete make, then after I do make -C xbmc
I think my armhf rootfs is missing python-libs because the python libs are definitely there in the ubuntu (already done sudo apt-get install python-dev)

See my previous post in this thread. I had the same problem and after purging and reinstalling some packages on the armhf rootfs it worked again.
right im just using a rootfs i downloaded from the net somewhere and havent installed into the rootfs at all.

dont know how to install into the rootfs from the build root, will have to do some research,

thanks,
  • 79(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allwinner A10 : Is XBMC ported to MALI-400MP ?15