why is iOS 4.3 or before recommended?
Quote: Not possible. SHSH blobs are specific for every device because of the unique ECID. If your device is still iOS 4.3, you can grab incomplete SHSH blobs directly from your device by iFaith. If not, you can do nothing but wait for our warm-hearted XBMC developers

My appletv has 4.3 installed . So I can't get the SHSH blob using tiny umbrella since apple isn't signing them anymore? When you say incomplete SHSH blobs using ifaith, what will this not do as opposed to a tiny umbrella shsh blob?

Thanks
davilla Wrote:If you have the shsh blob for 4.3, it's easy. BUT Apple stopped signing them so if you have not grabbed it with tiny umbrella (http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com) , it's too late.

there might be a new problem with that currently..
I had several atv2's blobs saved for 4.3.0 (8f455) with TU (in October when signing was OK)
Today I tried a few of my devices and cydia appears to have lost them (or never had them in the first place?) - only 4.4.4 and 5.0 betas are reported for their ecid. I have the .shsh files locally so it's not all lost .. but the new seas0npass needs them online (waiting for a confirmation on that).

Could someone please check if theirs are still available via TU with "request from cydia" option turned on? Thanks!

tider37 Wrote:My appletv has 4.3 installed . So I can't get the SHSH blob using tiny umbrella since apple isn't signing them anymore? When you say incomplete SHSH blobs using ifaith, what will this not do as opposed to a tiny umbrella shsh blob?

Thanks

you can extract them with ifaith. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99315
ATV2 4.3 8F455 Seas0npassed / XBMC 11
Samsung HT-P70 5.1 / Samsung WS-32Z419P
if i have 4.4.4 jailbroken on one of my ATV2's, can i save the shsh blobs and downgrade on a different ATV2 with those blobs?

also, anybody know if apple is still signing 4.4.4Huh
blobs are device specific so no to your first question. And no i don't know for your 2nd ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-03-12, 21:05)qrlos Wrote: also, anybody know if apple is still signing 4.4.4Huh

More than likely yes... Apple TV software 5.0 hasn't been out very long and they usually continue to sign the previous version for a while after a new release.
(2012-03-13, 06:05)jd2157 Wrote:
(2012-03-12, 21:05)qrlos Wrote: also, anybody know if apple is still signing 4.4.4Huh

More than likely yes... Apple TV software 5.0 hasn't been out very long and they usually continue to sign the previous version for a while after a new release.

Alas, they stopped signing 4.4.4 immediately after the 5.0 release.

See they Firecore forums for all the fuzz, as jail breaking has become a lot harder now. http://forum.firecore.com/137

And if you buy a new one w/ 5.0 out of the box, you're out of luck for now.
(2012-02-13, 18:12)thesuffering Wrote:
davilla Wrote:If you have the shsh blob for 4.3, it's easy. BUT Apple stopped signing them so if you have not grabbed it with tiny umbrella (http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com) , it's too late.

i havent done much in the iOS world in a long while. can i update my 4.1.1 to 4.3 or if i update is 4.4.4 the only choice?
Right now 5.0 is your only choice as Apple stopped signing prior versions. Better get TinyUmbrella now and at least save your blobs for 4.1.1 else you are out of luck if you need to restore for any reason.

Oops you can't even do that without apple signing 4.1.1 which is long over. Better leave things alone cause you are hosed if you have to restore.

Michael
yes 4.4.4 was your only choice now 5.0 0r later is your only choice. Thank god I have a lot of other things to update and exploit for fun, so I haven't really messed with my ATV 2 since the day I took it out of the box and jailbroke and installed XBMC and NitoTV. I am running 4.2.1(4.3) and had I been paying attention to the ATV 2 development world I would have absolutely had to downgrade.
(2012-03-16, 05:48)Tinmania Wrote:
(2012-02-13, 18:12)thesuffering Wrote:

i havent done much in the iOS world in a long while. can i update my 4.1.1 to 4.3 or if i update is 4.4.4 the only choice?
Right now 5.0 is your only choice as Apple stopped signing prior versions. Better get TinyUmbrella now and at least save your blobs for 4.1.1 else you are out of luck if you need to restore for any reason.

Oops you can't even do that without apple signing 4.1.1 which is long over. Better leave things alone cause you are hosed if you have to restore.

Michael

You can still use iFaith if you have an older iOS version... there's more info in the jailbreak FAQ thread.

Hi,

I've been happily using XBMC on aTV2 since February last year and I first want to thank the devs for making XBMC on AppleTV possible. The little box is now behind my tv and plays everything that I throw at it (mostly DVD-rips and h264). As to the iOS recommendation. I stayed for a long time at 4.2.1 and moved to 4.4.4 only because of Airplay mirroring. Somewhere on the net I found a recommendation to turn some of the system services off, to save memory. I have disabled following services and have not yet had any problems running the AppleTV with the original functions and XBMC. So try it, maybe this can fix some of the memory problems. The services:

Code:
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.appsupport.cplogd.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.aslmanager.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.chud.pilotfish.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.chud.chum.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.crash_mover.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CrashHousekeeping.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DumpPanic.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mobile.softwareupdated.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.OTACrashCopier.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.OTATaskingAgent.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.powerlog.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.DirectoryService.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.Jetsam.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.SafetyNet.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.SimulateCrash.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.StackShot.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.ReportCrash.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.sharktrace.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.apsd.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.daily.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.racoon.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.voiced.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.vsassetd.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.wapic.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.BTServer.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd.plist
launchctl unload -w  /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenterClassic.plist
[/php]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
why is iOS 4.3 or before recommended?0